Kherson Oblast – Breathtaking Stretches of Coastline and Medicinal Muds

The Kherson Oblast or Region takes up approximately 28,500 square kilometers of land, which is mainly flat. Kherson is situated in the Black Sea lowland and near the Sea of Azov. Kherson also lies close to the lower Dnieper, which is classified as a Steppe zone and holds the principal river supplying water to the southern parts of Ukraine. The oblast borders four regions, which include Zaporizhia, Crimea, Mykolaiv and Dniepropetrovsk. Kakhovka, Tsyurupyns'k and Nova Kakhovka are three of the biggest cities located within the Kherson Oblast.

The Kherson Oblast was first established in 1944 on the 30th of March and is known for its 120 km coastline and its medicinal muds. The Kherson region is economically dependent on the industrial and agricultural sector although the agricultural sector is affected greatly by the temperate continental climate, which produces unstable and arid conditions. The agricultural sector produces grain, sugar beets, potatoes, meat, milk and eggs. The industrial sector of Kherson oblast supplies the country with electric machines, grain, cotton cloth and sunflower seed. Minerals found in the Kherson oblast include cement loam, brick earth, marl, glass sand, gas, peat, salt, limestone and clay tiles.

There are 1,247,000 people currently taking up residence in the Kherson oblast, which gives the region a low rating in terms of population concentration. Of the 1,247,000 people, 60% of the population resides in urban areas and the other 40% live in rural areas. Just over half of the region’s population is capable of working and making a living for themselves and their families.

Kherson has a number of nature reserves, which includes two biospheres, five special nature reserves and twelve parks. There are also many cultural and historical attractions and places that one can visit. On average the annual temperature of Kherson is +10 C and there is an annual rainfall of 350 to 500 mm. Some of the sights that are of interest and worth a visit in Kherson Oblast include the Museum of Flora and Fauna, buildings that date back to the 18th and 19th century, and the Museum of Local Tradition and Art.

back to Regions