Interestings facts about Ukrainian language
Ukrainian is a rich and extremely interesting language. Below, we have collected interesting facts about the Ukrainian language that may surprise you.
- Ukrainian is one of the most widespread languages in the world, and according to the number of speakers, it takes 26th place in the world.
- The Ukrainian language is very rich in synonyms. For example, the word “horizon” has 12 synonyms. But the absolute record is the verb “to beat”. According to the “Dictionary of Synonyms of the Ukrainian Language”, it has 45 synonyms.
- The Ukrainian language is rich in diminutive forms. Oddly, but even the word “enemies” has its own diminutive form.
- The most commonly used letter in the Ukrainian alphabet is the letter “n”. The letter “f” is the least-used letter of the Ukrainian alphabet. Words starting with this letter, in the vast majority of cases, came to Ukrainian from other languages.
- The Ukrainian language is officially recognized as one of the most beautiful: it occupies the second place in the world by melodic (after Italian) and the third most beautiful vocabulary (after French and Persian). In the video below you may enjoy listening to famous Ukrainian poetry about love by Volodymyr Sosuyra “Tak nikhto ne kokhav”:
- The most translated among Ukrainian poetry works is Taras Shevchenko’s “Testament”: it has been translated into 147 languages.
- Outside Europe, Ukrainian has a semi-official status in the United States (Cook County, Illinois). About 5.5 million people live in this district. And the Ukrainian language was chosen as one of the most commonly used languages in the area.