Ostroh – Town of Education and Revival
The town of Ostroh is situated next to the Horyn River, in the Rivne Oblast. At present, the population of the town is estimated at approximately 14,800 residents and is a town that was built on the foundation of education and growth. Ostroh was first mentioned in the year 1100 when it consisted of a fortress, but only started to flourish as a town from the 14th century.
From the 14th century, the year 1386 to be exact, Ostroh fell under the
rule of the Ostrogski family who were very influential and extremely
powerful. It was during this time that the Ostrog Bible and East Slavic book
were printed in this town. The Ostroh Press that printed these documents was
established by Prince Ostroski in the year 1578. The Ostrog Bible,
underwritten by the Prince, is still the most exquisite print example of
that time period. It is also known that Ostroh had quite a large
Jewish community; amongst them was Soloman Luria and Samuel Edels. The
Ostrogski Family was also responsible for the construction of the Ostroski
Castle on Red Hill and the 15th century Epiphany Church, located in the
Soon, this small town in the Rivne Oblast became a significant center in
Ukraine in regard to culture, politics and education. The Ostrogski
family also built the Slavic-Greek-Latin Academy in the year 1576, which is
known today as the Ostroh Academy. The beautiful towers and Cathedrals that
still grace the town were all built under the rule of the Ostrogski family.
Their influence and vision created and built a foundation for the town. By
the 17th century the Ostrogski family had faded into extinction and the town
was passed on to the Lubomirski princes.
After the fall of the Soviet Union, the town of Ostroh was on the
decline, but not the spirit and determination of the locals. They are
honest, hardworking and enthusiastic people, and the town was able to keep
its head above water. But in the year 2000, 900 years after the founding
date of Ostroh, the Ostroh Academy was given national status, which means it
is now known as the National University of Ostroh Academy. It has breathed
new life into this quaint town with students enrolling from across the
country. New life means a new beginning and a brighter future.