The Odessa Catacombs
The Odessa Catacombs are a network of tunnels that consist of three levels, stretching out under the city and surrounding region of Odessa. The first underground stone mines started to appear in the 19th century, while vigorous construction took place in Odessa. After the Russian Revolution of 1917, stone mining was banned within the central part of Odessa. During World War II the catacombs served as hiding places for Soviet partisans, in particular the squad of V.A. Molodtsev.