Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ukraine Universities for British students?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ukraine Universities for British students?

The English student community is in protest against rising university charges for all new admissions. With these tuition charges trebling to a possible £9000 GBP ($13400 USD) per year, some students and their parents are considering looking at Universities abroad as an alternative to facing these exhorbitant charges.

I am aware that in Lugansk there are many international students from Asia, Africa and elsewhere. I am told that the medical courses for the most part are conducted in English and believe that many other courses are also obtainable in English.

I believe that many parents in England will be unable to fund their children's further education and the would be students are reluctant to get themselves into such burden of debt in order to fund their education.

It is a possible business opportunity for Ukrainian universities with courses in the English language to promote themselves within England, by offering academic places at much lower cost than being offered elsewhere in much of Europe. Students would also benefit from lower accommodation and food prices.

It would bring in helpful foreign currency into Ukraine and would also help to connect with young English people who have little or no knowledge about Ukraine. The only downside that I can foresee, is that the existence of students wanting to rent apartments puts upward pressure on local rents, to the advantage of the landlord, but to the disadvantage of local young couples looking for somewhere to rent.

Note: I should have titled the thread "Ukraine Universities for English students" as Wales and Scotland are not applying these charges for their own students.

British students would be reluctant to go to Ukraine - a backward country.
    Last year, I happened to listen to a lecture in anatomy in our Medical University - in English - for Asian and African students - I was shocked to hear a very poor English - probably only Chinese students are able to understand it.
    Foreign languages are taught at a very poor level here - at least in Lviv. Graduating students are not able to put three words in English correctly.
    Read English summaries in Internet of various articles, papers, books etc written by Ukrainian professors - they are awful!

Comment

Maybe English is not taught well in Lvov.. however I think it is taught better in Donetsk as last year I travelled from Germany to Donetsk and back and on both journeys I had very good conversations with university students from Donetsk in English with no difficulty at all.. they were really fluent.. I was VERY impressed as my Russian is poor.. my Ukrainian is nil.. one was studying electrical engineering.. her text books were in Russian(her first language).. her professor was around 70 so his first language was also Russian and yet all her exams had to be in Ukrainian... I was really impressed by her linguistic flexibility:-))
      John 3/16

Comment

See Internatonal University Ratings
        Where are your Donetsk universities?
        Eg as per WEBOMETRICS, The I.Franko University of Lviv has the highest rating amongst Ukrainian universities - occupying .....1443th position
        Who will go to study in Ukraine???

Comment

I wasn`t trying to start a battle!!!! you were the one who said that in Lvov English was poorly taught... I just reported my experience from students from Donetsk!!! if that doesn`t fit in with your nationalistic agenda then I apologise... I accept that Ukraine is a long way behind many countries in many ways and the Lvov regiopn is perhaps further behind as an agricultural area and this is common generally throughout the world so not a criticism just an observation!!!
          John 3/16

Comment

What do you mean by my 'nationalistic agenda' I wonder????
            How can the Lviv area be further behind -when it has a strong scientific potential - 70% of Ukrainian Military electronic industry was concentrated in Lviv under the Soviet regime - labour-intensive sectors were developed due to a high density of population. Today, accent is made on Information Technologies.

Comment

British students would be reluctant to go to Ukraine - a backward country.
              Last year, I happened to listen to a lecture in anatomy in our Medical University - in English - for Asian and African students - I was shocked to hear a very poor English - probably only Chinese students are able to understand it.
              Foreign languages are taught at a very poor level here - at least in Lviv. Graduating students are not able to put three words in English correctly.
              Read English summaries in Internet of various articles, papers, books etc written by Ukrainian professors - they are awful!

This was your post.... why do you argue with what I factually stated???? it was my experience!!! I do not lie!!!!!
              John 3/16

Comment

Irene

If someone from Donetsk decided to move to Lvov and only spoke Russian would you accept him as welcome to study in Lvov???? whatever the subject???
                John 3/16

Comment

Inovate to create marketable learning!

Irene, I bow to your superior knowledge of Ukrainian acedemic achievement, but my original idea has possibility in certain subjects. For example if a mineral extraction engineering degree course was being organised, the early part of the course could include the teaching of Russian. Why Russian, because the upcoming areas for new exploration and extraction are in those territories where Russian is spoken. The main body of the degree course could be in Russian with reference to relevant English terms at the same time to maintain an international flavour.

If students taking up this subject couldn't hack being in "backward" Ukraine, they had better quit right there, because if they are to be successful in their chosen field, this life is would be perfection compared with the far flung and climate crazy locations they will endure once working.

Comment

Working...
                  X