Marriage in Ukraine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage in Ukraine

I am getting married to a Ukrainian woman and we have been discussing doing it in the Ukraine. I would like to have her family and friends involved. She is concerned that she has checked and I have to be in the Ukraine for 30 days before I can marry a Ukrainian citizen. I just got back from the Ukraine I don't have enough vacation to spend a month there. When I go back in June I will be able to stay for 2 weeks.
    Does anyone know a way around this 30 days thing. I have been told that I could slip the people at the marriage office some money and be able to get married after 1 week. I would rather find a better approach to this.
    Can she file for our marriage without me being there.
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Keith

Keith,
    Congrats on your upcoming marriage! I am an American woman who will be meeting her love in Ukraine in 11 days. We have also discussed marriage and I have checked and read upon what is required. I have not heard about the 30 Day rule. I can ask my sweetheart about this. If you do find out more about the marriage process please let me know. Thanks and best wishes to you and yours.

Capri

Comment

Just double check with a lawer... I have never heard of any 30 day rule, it sounds unreasonable to me. Yeh, when you talk to a lawer he/she will tell you if the rule exists and if it does, how to go around it.
      Good luck,

Comment

My boyfriend tells me that there is a 30 day waiting period. This is due to the large number of young people wanting to marry. Guess they want to make sure that these people really want to get married. You can bribe the ZAG official, but this is risky and what guarantee will you have? I think V-G is right and you may want to consult a lawyer to get all the correct facts. Your other alternative is to apply for a Fiancee Visa and have her come to the US, but it sounds like you wish to marry in Ukraine. If you have any other questions, please ask. This is helping me too!

Capri

Comment

Thanks for all the information. I would really like to get married in the Ukraine but there is no way I can spend 30 days there. I would hate to be in a country not my own get caught trying to bribe someone.
          We have already started the K1 visa process and may be the way we have to go.
          If I find anything new I will let you know.
          Thanks,
          Keith

Comment

its sad... but bribes in Ukraine are so common, that your little marriage thing will never be noticed... but its your call... GOOD LUCK. I would still get a lawyer, and if you do, do not get some fresh out of law school cheap one... get someone experienced.

Comment

Hello Keith!!!
              May I tell you some advices. I know some answers on your qeustions.
              Actually it is truth that ZAGS needs about 30 days for getting papers together, but to my mind what much to get there if you see the intention of people to be together. You can have faster procedure if you have some special reasons like your airplane's tickets in a week, she is pregnant... blah.. blah..blah they can prepare your papers for three day of course if you won't come on Saturday and Sunday and go away on Thursday, as they work till 12 pm on Sat, and don't work on Sun and Mon, plus they need not less than 3 days to make papers. of course you will need some money (sorry I have no idea about amount) as first of all you will be in Ukraine and there are lots of silly people who are not polite.... yuck... I hate this BERMUD (central ZAGS). They will need a list of papers you will need to bring with yourself to Kiev from US. Your woman can get to know about them paying 10 gryvna in ZAGS for consultation with bad attitude from ladies there...

Now the most important part... Are you sure about marriage in Ukraine? do you want to bring your woman to US? Do you know that you will have to wait for I-134 (K3 Visa) for years. Don't do this. Moreover you started process for K1 Visa. I can assure you that it will be faster. And question? To what office you brought papers? Vermont? if it is, you are lucky. It will take about couple months to get aproval. If you are in Nebraska... You are not lucky :-(( it will take about 5 or 6 months. Actually now they are faster, sometimes and with someones :-(

Wish you the best with your woman and Visa. I will be glad to keep in touch with you as we are in the same situation :-)
              Olenka

Comment

Thanks Olena

I appreciate the information you have given me. Unfortunatly I will have to go through the Nebraska office.
                The reason for the marriage in Ukraine is that the US Embassy in Kiev now takes the K3 visa papers, I think this is the I-130, and then sends them to Warsaw. I was told that since this is happening,the K3 is taking less time then the K1. I don't really know though. If you look on the website for the embassy in Kiev it talkes about this new service. I have been thinking lately though that the K1 would be better for us except for the fact that her family wouldn't be able to participate.
                If you have anymore advice it would be appreciated.
                Thanks,
                Keith

Comment

We have the same situation of waiting

HI!!!
                  Keith, I am so SORRY about your process is gong in Nebraska. This office is the slowest, it really has not good fame. It would be better to have process in Vermont, but what we can do? :-) Actually process of my fiancé and mine is going through Nebraska too so we are in the same situation. Couldn’t you tell me the date of your 1 stNOA? ours is 29 of January. We could see out timeline together … lol… it would be easier to know that someone waits too. Don’t your woman live in Kiev? I am sorry for lots of questions. I will give you my email selvi@i.com.ua , feel free to write me.

Well…. about K3 Visa. Unfortunately people in Embassy can write you lots of things, but all this has no sense (maybe a little), the same is with office in Nebraska. The matter is that they talk in general, but we have our own cases. I think you have read that in case with K3 first you need to get an approval of I-129F that is going in US through the same slowest INS in US. I am not sure if you have to send it to Nebraska like I-129 (K1 Visa), but from all information I had read on sites (government and only informational sites) people wait about a year for approval of I-129F. I even read advice of INS (sorry don’t remember site, if you want, I can find one) where they advise not to go through K3 visa. My fiancé and I were going to get married in Ukraine too, but he is smart guy and after reading piles of Internet pages said “NO”, I don’t want it to go for long time so we will go through K1 Visa. And I am HAPPY that he decided such way :-)) He is GREAT!!! AND…. don’t forget that Ukraine is former Soviet Union and it causes suspicious from INS people about intention to be married, but not to get US. Moreover, Keith, you sent papers K1 Visa already, so account time and you will be faster with it than spend time on papers again (about a month) then waiting and waiting.

Of course maybe someone has own experience with K3 Visa, if so I would like to hear it, as I am still interested in what is faster :-))
                  And for you I wish fast time in waiting because this time will be very long. As for me I HATE this time :-(
                  Best wishes,

Olenka

Comment

Mary in Ukraine

My fiancee and I want to gets marry on Ukraine. I already applied for the fiancee visa (K-1). Can we get marry right after she gets the visa?.
                    I know that it is better if I bring her to America first; but my family doesn't live in America and we will like to get marry in Church on Ukraine.

Please advise...

Thanks,
                    jc

Comment

Hello Jc,
                      Hope I will help you as I can. First of all my congratulations to you and your fiancée that you have found each other in this big world and understood that you were good for each other.
                      Fiancee visa is nonimmigrant visa for fiancée/fiancé of US citizens who wants to get marry on the territory of US. Getting of visa of this type is very long process, of course if you are not going through VSC which takes an approvals via 15-20 days. May I get to know which Service Center you are going through? My fiancé and I are going through NSC and it is long waiting ahead. So after your fiancée will get a visa she will have 90 days to come to US to marry you. Only you and no one else. If marriage don’t take a place, she will need to leave US. She will have a right to go through US boarders only once (one-entry visa). Of course fiancée/fiancé will leave own families and would like to have marriage party. BUT….. don’t make a mistake having an official marriage outside US. In this case your fiancée will loose the right to come to US with K1 visa!!!! Pay an attention that I said official marriage. If you get married in Ukrainian church without official papers, only religious marriage, it is ok. I have read some sites of Ukrainian(Russian)-American couples who married in church (religious marriage) before coming to US and having official marriage with getting marriage license first and then marriage certificate.

Fell free yourself to email me to selvi@i.com.ua

Have a look also to http://britishexpats.com/forum you can ask everything you are interested in on this forum for marriage-based US Visas.

Olenka

Comment

Olenka,

Thanks a lot for your advises. I am applying for K-1 visa through Vermont center.
                        Do you know something about the Spousal(K-3) visa?, I have found out that this visa was created few years back. I consulted with an inmigration attorney firm; and they told me that nowdays the K-1 visa NJ-Ukraine takes aprox. 100 days, and the K-3 visa takes aprox. 80 days. That if I want I can change from the K-1 visa to the K-3 visa.

Thank you again for your advises,
                        Have a wonderful day,

JC

Comment

Under mariage certificate

Hi All,

I am soory I can not contribute to US and Canada based procedures but i might have an idea for this impasso.

For as far as I know in the whole of Europe there is the procedure that you have to go first into under marriage before you can marriage. The precise orgigine is at this moment not known to me but I believe it was in the past also because of the blood tests to prefvent incompetible bloodgroups and procedures to check if you are not related or married already.
                          For as far as i know the waiting periode after the mariage differs from country to country but it does not tell that you will have to spend this time together.

So in other words you can travel in the meantime back and come back on the date of the marriage. I do not know the possibilities in the Ukrainian law but there is normally an minimum and maximum date of maraiage. So you can Marry between those both dates. In the Netherlands this is after a couple of weeks till one year after the signing of the document.

For the people who want to marry in the church, realise that the mariage for the Law stands loose from the wedding in the church. So you will have to do both seperate but the order does not make an difference.

Then there is the possibility of an marriage in the Embassy.of your Country..... I do not know if it is possible but i know that Dutch citezens can do so. Just ask your Forein affairs office or the embassy in the Ukrian.

Regards,

Nick

Comment

Re: Under mariage certificate

Hello Nick,
                            The matter is that every country has own rules about marriage, so there are different enquirments about papers and procedures.
                            Originally posted by fenicks
                            For as far as I know in the whole of Europe there is the procedure that you have to go first into under marriage before you can marriage. The precise orgigine is at this moment not known to me but I believe it was in the past also because of the blood tests to prefvent incompetible bloodgroups and procedures to check if you are not related or married already.
                            Yes, in European countries you must quit previous marriage and of course to have evidence of this.
                            As I know Ukraine government doesn't demand blood test neither for Ukrainian couples, nor for foreign fiancees.
                            For as far as i know the waiting periode after the mariage differs from country to country but it does not tell that you will have to spend this time together.
                            We talked about waiting time for visa before marriage (fiancee visa) or after marriage (spousal visa)in US. For K1 Visa (fiancee visa) The most couples can't meet during visa process. Because of this fact we talked with JC about times which is needed to obtain visa for fiancee and spouse to know what one will be shorter. It is too hard to wait and if petition is going through TSC or NSC it takes around 7-8 months. It is very long time. I hope in your country it is shorter.
                            Thanks JC who had found info that it is faster to obtaine visa getting married in Ukraine and then do process through US Embassy in Kiev.

I do not know the possibilities in the Ukrainian law but there is normally an minimum and maximum date of maraiage. So you can Marry between those both dates. In the Netherlands this is after a couple of weeks till one year after the signing of the document.
                            sorry, what dates you mean? Is it like marriage license in US which you need to get before marriage for a week or more?

Olenka

Comment

Hi Olena,

Nice to hear from you
                              I marked my coments with a star *

Quote:
                              Hello Nick,
                              The matter is that every country has own rules about marriage, so there are different enquirments about papers and procedures.

*I know the mess and possible problems, studied them and learned quite well from them. That is the Duch ones.

quote:
                              Originally posted by fenicks

Yes, in European countries you must quit previous marriage and of course to have evidence of this.
                              As I know Ukraine government doesn't demand blood test neither for Ukrainian couples, nor for foreign fiancees.

*True also in the Netherlands now a days not anymore but it is where all this is comming from just like the american marriage licence is somehow dirivided from it but lets not get to deep in it. I was just trying to ansew Keiths question where this rule comes from. And the possible ways around it.

quote:

We talked about waiting time for visa before marriage (fiancee visa) or after marriage (spousal visa)in US. For K1 Visa (fiancee visa) The most couples can't meet during visa process. Because of this fact we talked with JC about times which is needed to obtain visa for fiancee and spouse to know what one will be shorter. It is too hard to wait and if petition is going through TSC or NSC it takes around 7-8 months. It is very long time. I hope in your country it is shorter.
                              Thanks JC who had found info that it is faster to obtaine visa getting married in Ukraine and then do process through US Embassy in Kiev.

*Understood it, I think i miss read Keiths original message where he also tells that he seems to have to stay for 30 days physacaly inside the country and that his girlfriend is concerned about an control. But i understood why he did follow this path. Besides that i think it is nicer to marry in the Ukraine since it then is for all Ukrainin family members (easier) posibly to attend the wedding.

Since in the Netherlands an registered partnership has got the same legal status as marriage in the Netherlands it does not make an difference if you will marry or not. But I discovered that an application made in the Ukrain is mostly taking some more time to process. This because of that (at least in the Netherlands) the embassy will first send the documents to the foreignaffairs office who will send it to the imigrations office who will ask the regional foreingers/strangers police for advice (read their opinion if it is an fake mariage and to check if you fullfill all demands and really know the person (they will simply know by how you behave and tell about your partner , rather then ask intimate questoins or interigate you) Then the advice will be send to the imigrations office who will decide (mostly follow up the recomandation of the strangers police then it will follow the same line back to the Ukraine. Then the Embassy will invite you for an intervieuw to check and issue an MVV visa for the Netherlands with an transit for schengen counties (open european border, read most EEC countries) After arrival of the Fiancee an appointment has to be made with the foreingers police to start the official procedure for an residence permit ( this is though mainly an formality, read you have to do some registrations at the local goverment and the person from outside the Schengen counties will have to undergo an tubercolsis test (tough if it is positive treatment will follow)). So to make an short cut you can nowadays (new rules since about 2years) also apply directly at the foreigners police and shot cut the bureaucraty. This will gain you weeks so not months, depends on the work pile at an immigrations or foreinaffairs office.

In my case I got 3 weeks after the apply (with all required ducuments and fullfilling all recuirements (read 130% above minimum living standard income and an minimum requirment of an temporarycontract valid for at least still one year on the date of the application. Advisable is also to have proof of constant work for the last 3years or an steady contract)correctly filled in translated and legalised and translated if needed)

quote:
                              I do not know the possibilities in the Ukrainian law but there is normally an minimum and maximum date of maraiage. So you can Marry between those both dates. In the Netherlands this is after a couple of weeks till one year after the signing of the document.

sorry, what dates you mean? Is it like marriage license in US which you need to get before marriage for a week or more?
                              Olenka

*I meant that in the Neterlands after you went in under marriage you will have to wait for some weeks before you really marry( I think this is comparisable with the requirement in the Ukraine (they have to register also atleast one month before they want to marry)It steands nowhere though that the partner phisicaly has to be inside the country for that time. It can be though that this is an requirement in the Ukraine though like Keith said.
                              So in The Neterlands the marriage licence (called under marriage) is valid from a few weeks after issue till one year after issue.

My idea was to register and go back to the US and come back after at least one month to marry.

Important thiough is to enter the Ukraine with an multiple entry visa or an visa valid for tree months (tell to the Ukrainian Embassy you are going there for an longer period for marriage) after arrival in the Ukraine register at the Policeoffice (dept stangers police/passport issueing) that you will live in the house of your Fiancee for the time of the visa validation and pay the required taxes for this.
                              They now will normally check if you really have left the country after the time you payed duties/taxes for. If you might get an control let the family tell you are away to some ralatives for some days or a week. The chance of any control if you have paid and registered is very small though.

If for any change they would check (because you are a foreinger wanting to marry a Ukrainian girl and only for this reason then it is because they believe you went back to the US and expect a bribe from it, I guess because for the police to check up on you normaly it is because you did not register at the police after your arrival. They have more to do then chekking if an foreigner wanting to marry a ukrainian girl really is present in her house. Ofcourse this is an asumption though

(After you where helped at the police with registration you could offer the ladies some little present f.e. a chocolatebar (some kind of bribe custome from comunist times, but it is apreciated and so might work)

For me my girlfriend is currently living here since almost an year. But is often in the Ukraine to finish her last year of university. (we expected the procedure to take at least 3moanths and where warned it could take longer.

It turned out to be possible within tree weeks. We are planning to marry at the end of this year but not because we have to for a residence permit but because we want to.

Regards,

Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X