Village History

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Village History

Hello I am new here and am facinated with varied reading and information available. I was wondering if any of you have any information or can direct me to a book, or site on the history of the KAMIONKA STRUMILOWA known now as KAMIANKA BUSKA area in the lvov region. Please forgive me if I flub up the spelling. The partucular village that I am interested in the size and history of is. * Ubynya - Ubinie - Ubinye: village 22 km south of Kamyanka. I have seen it on a map in 1875 but nothing that i can find recently. My grandmother came from there and after 20 years of looking for her roots im dying to find out anything more that I can. Her name was Na?arkiewicz.

Thanks
    Dora

Happy New Year, Dora!

Your ancestral selo/hamlet, Ubinie (turn of the century Polish spelling) was predominantly Ruthenian/Ukrainian village. From late 18th century to 1919 this area was administered by ethnic Poles for AUSTRO-HUNGARIAN EMPIRE. If Grandmother emigrated in this time frame, she would have been considered an Austrian citizen. If she emigrated 1919-1939, she would have been considered a Polish citizen.

Kamionka St. was administrative district
    Busk was judicial/tax district
    Ubinie had its own Greek Catholic Village, while Ubyni Poles used filial Roman Catholic Church in Zalechow.

I did a quick look at LDS/Mormon Genealogy Library. Ubynie looks to still be queued up for filming #5710-5715, but check w/Mark. He stays on top of what was/is filmed.
    mgdusyk@telus.net

Galicia - vital records
    http://lemko.org/genealogy/galiciapl.html

FamilySearch - Family History Centers
    http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Libr...ameset_fhc.asp

These films are mostly pre 1870's. Very little is actually available online. I would seriously consider hiring a local in Lviv and have them do the Archival Research. Upon completion, I would also have them take a run to the village, about half an hour from Lviv, take some pictures of the village and make some inquiries re any surviving relatives still in village or nearby. There are university students here who do an exc job and could use the income.
    THAT IS IF WE COULD LOCATE IT.

What was Grandmother's full name? Where did she settle upon immigration, how old was she and was she married?

PS> I am trying to locate Ubynie. It is not uncommon for districts to change. Brian Lenius' Gazetteer lists it near Zadworze (today Zadwirya) in Przemyslany (today in Busk) district. This would put it where you saw it on old map. I can't seem to document it anywhere on a recent map. Could be that there has been a village name change??? VITALIJ, HELP PLEASE. Until we hear from Vitalij, I will continue scouring maps.

Additional links of interest:

Ukrainian Language, Culture and Travel Page
    http://pages.prodigy.net/l.hodges/ukraine.htm

HalGal: Galicia
    http://www.halgal.com/galicia.html

[Edited by Hannia on 9th January 2005 at 01:44]

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp

Comment

Hello Dora and Hania,

I found that village on my hard copy current map of Lviv region. Current name is Ubyni ( in Ukrainian). It is very small, and is situated to the North of Zadviria near village Novosilky. There is small road going from Novosilky to Banjunyn, and Ubyni is at that road closer to Novosilky. Other small villages that are around are: Lisok, Hriniv, Didyliv, Nesluhiv. It is comparatively close to Lviv; probably about 30-40 minutes bus drive. As far as I see it from the few Internet links, it belongs to Kamianka-Buzka region. I saw it mentioned at the following page:
      http://sky.prohosting.com/andriy10/geogr.shtml
      See also:
      http://www.kamyanka-buzka.com/

Vitaliy

Comment

Thanks, you where able to spread some light on the issues.
        Is there a definitive history of that particular area. My grand parents from both sides. Came from Russia and Ukraine
        My fathers parents i never met. Grandma would never say anything about home. Never a story or anything. It took me
        20 years of researching on and off to find her. Hence my interest in any history or reasoning. The small bit of history i have read about the area is not a happy history in the 20th century. Grandpa used to offer to pay or take her too visit she would refuse. this si the information i have gained on her. With spelling the best i can.

Tekla Nazarkiewicz(sp) born about 1893-1895 arrived from ubanie stated austrian citizenship. 12/13/ 1913 Was aided by the Polish society while retained. At Ellis Island Marriage license in New York states Kamionka Strumilowa and parents Was married in
        St. Georges on 7th st .A Ukrainian Catholic church. This may have been for her or for Grandpa who came from Podila.
        father Phillippus
        Mother Marya Chupil

Yes I would agree to hire someone, but does the place exist anymore what happened to it

Thanks

Comment

Also you may see that village in the following topological map:

http://sunsite.berkeley.edu:8085/x-u...k/M-35-073.jpg

It is in the 36 North-South quadrant, and 14-16 East-West quadrant. The name of the village is written in Russian as . Small river Dumny is passing slightly to the South of village.

Vitaliy

Comment

thank you; it will take me some time to inspect it i think i found it to the left.

Comment

Thank you so much, Vitalij!

I have another question. If Novasilky (Zolochivskij raion/district) is the closest village w/a post ofc, would that mean that selo/village Ubyni is also in Zolochiv?

Dora, according to Vitalij , your ancestral hamlet still exists. Vitalij is from this general area.
              He has a friend, Ihor, who may be able to help you w/your archives research. You and Vitalij should exchange E-Mails and talk to each other.
              ______________________________________________________________________

In the case of Podolia, at the turn of the century the Podolya Gubernia/Region belonged to Czarist Russia. Today it is in Ukraine, covering Vynnytska and Khmelnitska Oblasts/Regions.

Oblast Click Map
              http://www.rootsweb.com/~ukrwgw/oblastclickmap.html

In 1906 out of 3 1/2 million population in Podolia, the majority of the population were Ukrainians, w/minorities including Poles and Jews, few Armenians, some Germans and 50,000 Moldavians.

Podolia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podolia

What was Grandfather given name? I'll give it a try at locating more info about him.

PS>Dora, Anytime you need to view Cyrillic Alphabet here,
              place you cursor anywhere where it is blank on this window. Right click mouse once. Left click ENCODING.
              Left click CYRILLIC WINDOWS..

Dora, on the very top of map that Vitalij has provided, follow RIGHT across til you get to 16. Follow 16 down to line 36 and there it is!

[Edited by Hannia on 9th January 2005 at 10:31]

æ, !

Comment

As per Ellis island Records, Grandmother Tekla's surname was poorly transliterated and badly written by ship's clerk.

She appears as Tekla VARARKIEWICZ, Ruthenian, 18 yrs old,a maid, arriving 12/8/13 on the SS Prinz Fr. Wilhelm. Bremen, Germany was her port of departure. She was meeting up w/a friend, Kasia Pelczarka, residing at 180 2nd Avenue (NYC). Tekla was coming from Ubinic???, leaving her mother, Marya Nazarkiewicz, behind in village.

http://ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_...emen&line=0012

æ, !

Comment

thanks

Yes that is her it took me so many years as a reault of
                  1.My in experience in research thought spelling should be
                  only as i knew it.
                  2. Uncle Walter stated that she came into Philadelphia,
                  Boston several years later. Stated was reported on FBI reports. He had a top secret clearance. Just found out that she came into New York first, they thought she would have been indigent and i think sent her to bosten. Have Been in Fort Wanye several times for weeks reading Ships manifest never found her.

Found Kasia (friend) but she declined I do not know why as of yet. but kasia sister and 4 more friends came in 1913 from Ubanie, I have just in the last few weeks found grandmother so am continuing looking for others from same village for info. Grandpa found him from ostrow? have not looked at for little bit i remember 5 people came from there. oneschuk (sp). Other grandparents (jewish) ame over from kharliv in 1904,1905
                  Have information coming so that is on hold while I get original marriage licence from aunt.
                  I can not tell you haow much i appreate the aid. I have as a result of them hiding a huge lack. Finding the research has given me the unerstanding of them and why they may have not spoken about issues

Are you good at reading thease ship manifest?

Comment

More Ubinie emigrants

I did find Kaska Pelczarska (mother Anna) , traveling w/Cyril (probably Kyril) Rak. Kyril's mother was Kaska. Both were coming from Ubin and meeting up w/Stefan Junik residing at 419 Houston Street. Stefan arrived in 3/28/1911. He was also from Ubinie. His father's name was Jan Jusnik. Stefan was a tailor and was meeting up w/brother in law Michal Gawrowski or Yawrowski??? residing at 219 East Houston Street.

æ, !

Comment

Grandfather???

Does selo Ostrowchane ring a bell >Kamenets Podolskij district >Podolsk Gubernia> Czarist Russia?

My guess is that is where Iwan Onesczuk was from.

What is Grandfather's full name?

æ, !

Comment

Thanks for all the heloright now i amchecking all the people that left Ubaine. Seems like quite a few considering how small the village appears. Hanna if you could read and help me figure out who Abram Pinkowsky came to see It was his brother in law on 198 moore st( i think)
                        march 15 1904. This would have been where my aunts went to live when his wife passed away in 1920. I can not fiigure out the name to fine them. Ethel, rachel, lilly came in 1905.

I havebeen to grandpa's village or where they are now when i was a little girl in 1960/ they live in Anatolya now.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/sh...2ETIF&fromEI=1

Comment

I am more than happy to help, but it will have to wait just a little bit. I need to get Brad started.

æ, !

Comment

Hello Hania and Dora,

Concerning village Ubyni, it is officially in Kamianka Buska district. It follows from that web site that I provided above about Kamianka Buska. Also nearby villages Banjunyn, Didyliv are from that district.

Dora, if you would need somebody researching documents for the village in Lviv historic archive, or going to the village to find out if some family members are still living there, please write me to vivandr@brandeis.edu.

Vitaliy

Comment

thanks so much that would be honestly great. On the other hand if anyone needs any information from ancestry pro, or research in the Mid-Continent Public Library when time permits for them i would be glad to do some researching.
                              The cost would be for copies and mail only if though postal. The library is considered one of the top ten in the nation for genealogy research, they have lots of great stuff

thanks
                              Dora

Comment

Working...
                              X