Stare Siolo , Sucha Wola , Oles, Lubaczow area

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stare Siolo , Sucha Wola , Oles, Lubaczow area

My great grandfather came from Stare Siolo near Lubaczow, In present day Poland (Galicia). I'm curious if there is anyone out there with ancestors from this same area? Do you have any info, pictures, etc, from this area? My last name is Yakimicki (Jakimicha / Jakimichi), other family names include: Gancarz , Osiowy , Ruczkal .

also, he always called himself Ukrainian. He went to a roman catholic church though. Was this at all common in the late 1800's?

Comment

My ancestors too came from this village. I am assembling a book for myself with the births and deaths from this area.
      The names you mentioned are very familiar. I will check through what I have so far. I do have some present pictures of the area as well. The Greek Orthodox church of the area was called St. Cosmas and Damien, though I do not know about the Roman Catholic. I have not searched these records.

Comment

What are the family names that you are researching in the area? Also, I believe that the Roman Catholic church was in Oleszyce ( diocesis - lubaczow' ). Another surname I failed to mention is "Symko". On the 2 documents (baptism) that I have, Godparents are also listed. I cannot completely make out the names on those, but looks like 'Demetrius Perrito', 'Andrii Boriska', 'Ignatius Gancarz', 'Barbara Rokosz' and a midwife named 'Anna Kurdziel'.
        When did your family leave the village? I believe mine left within the first decade of the last century.

Comment

The names I am researching are: Mech, Borykso (which is what I believe your Boriska is), Woroniak, and Napora mainly. Although I plan to "connect the dots" with the whole village. The Mechs (my grandfather's mother's family) actually came from the village of Lipina, but that is right next to Stare Siolo. And I think I have taken them back as far as I could go.
          The names from Sucha Wola I am researching are Gosko, Harasym, and Szalay.
          My Great-grandmother, and her parents came to Canada from Lipina in 1898, and settled in Cooks Creek MB.

Comment

.... I have a wedding picture from 1909, taken in Lawrene, Mass., USA,,,,, one of the people in the wedding party has the last name Borisko. Other people in the pic have the last names of Gancarz, Jakimicha, and Nimerowski. The man with the last name Borisko is labeled only that, no first name. I will be getting a new scanner soon, so I could send it to you then.

Comment

I have been in contact with a woman from France, whose grand-mother was a Maria Borysko from Stare Siolo. I have come to the conclusion after almost four years searching through the records of Stare Siolo, that basically the whole village is related to each other.

Comment

yakimicki1,

I see Jim has also provided you w/resources for your ancestral village.
                genealogy: RE: [genealogy] stare siolo, lubaczow, sucha wola
                http://www.infoukes.com/lists/geneal...4/02/0002.html

Lamm,

Any idea where the former residents of Stare Siolo landed up?

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp

Comment

A good deal from the Cieszanow and Oleszyce area ended up in rural areas of Manitoba. I noticed a few on the Ellis Island site wnr to Pennsyvania.

Comment

lamm,

I was specifically referring to the resettlements in 1947.

There are many Ukrainians w/roots on the Polish side of the border, who are looking to reconnect with their surviving families. Unfortunately resettlement records are not so readily available.

æ, !

Comment

Stare Siolo , Sucha Wola , Oles, Lubaczow area

Hello, I also have relatives that come from that area. The names I am researching are Lebiedz, Petranik, Ruczkal, Osiowy, and Habalo.

The Petranik, Ruczkal, and Osiowy lines come from the Roman Catholic church, and the Lebiedz and Ruczkal come from the Greek Orthodox.

I have copies of numerous pages from LDS microfilm for the area and am willing to look through the pages I have for any ancestors of yours. The records that I have focus on the Stare Olesyce and Zabiala areas, but also include Oleszyce, Stare Siolo, and Sucha Wola. The records cover birth, marriage and some death records from 1786 - 1851, with gaps. I did not copy all pages, only pages that were pertinent to my research.

Does anyone have Greek Orthodox records for that area and are willing to do some look-ups?

If so, I am particularly interested in:

Michal Lebiedz, born Nov 1887, son of Jan Lebiedz and Katarzyna Zawitkowski, and their ancestors.

Michal Lebiedz was married to Rozalia Habalo in Aug 1913. Rozalia was born 5 Oct 1895 to Nicolaus Habalo (b:13 Dec 1862, d:6 Jan 1943) and Anna Ruczkal (b:4 Feb 1864, d:3 Jun 1947).

Parents of Nicolaus Habalo are Romanus Habalo (b: 1836, m:22 Nov 1858) and Catarina Petranik (b: 31 Jul 1836).

Parents of Romanus Habalo are Gregorii Habalo and Henia Czeliy (? -hard to read in the record). If any of you encounter birth records with Henia Habalo as the midwife/Obstetrix, your are seeing my great-great-great-grandmother's name.

Comment

For Symko, this is all I have so far:

Anna Symko (daughter of Michael Symko) married Joannes Faj.
                        Daughter Pelagia Faj born Oct 14 1810
                        Farm #277
                        Son Demetrius Faj born Oct 18 1808
                        Farm #277

For Gancarz, This is what I have so far:

Stephanus Gancarz (son of Joannes Gancarz and Maria Mazur) married Parascevia Zamewicz (daughter of Basilius Zamewicz)
                        Daughter Catherina Gancarz born March 1 1839. Baptized March 2 1839
                        Farm #190

Hannia:

I had received a letter from a distant cousin who was born in Stare Siolo/Lipina. His family now lives in Moldavia, and he said a few of his neighbors live there as well.

Comment

Former Ukrainian Residents from Stare Siolo/Lipina> Lubaczow> Poland

Lamm,

If we could get the surnames of these people (from Stare Siolo & Lipina) currently living in Moldavia and post them on the forum, any spider search will pick them up. There are many in the diaspora looking for their displaced family members and there is very little organized information available.

æ, !

Comment

Well, I've just ordered some LDS films from the local center. I ordered three of them,, births, deaths, marriage, from Olescyze, late 1700's to 1945. They should be available to me in about three weeks. As for what I have so far....
                            My last name, Yakimicki, which was spelled Jakimicha back then, also, Osiowy, Rucskal, Gancarz, and Symko. Borysko also shows up later, my great grandfathers sister married a borysko.

You can see a short family tree inclucing all of those names at http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm....kimicha&given=

There is also a Helen Gancarz in Freesoil Michigan who is doing geneology off and on. She is the daughter of Joseph Gancarz and Rosalia Jakimicha (my greatgrandfathers sister).

Also, if you have not checked the ellisisland.org site, you may want to do so. There seems to be some listing from each of the surnames listed above, all from stare siolo, or the area, some listings are less specific, but keep in mind these points
                            the area may be listed as galicia (or even galizien), Austria, along with many different variations of the village names. Ethnicity, if Ukrainian, usually seem to be listed as Ruthenian (or any similar variation of that), or Rusyn.

Does anyone know of other ship manifest websites that are searchable and free? I've only found a couple people that I'm looking for at ellis island and I think many of the people i'm looking for may have come in at other sites.

Comment

If ancestors did not come thru Ellis Island

Convert the surname you are researching to SOUNDEX CODE and run a Soundex search for Immigration Records. Records available on film thru LDS or NARA and neither are expensive.

CIMO - Cimorelli Immigration Manifests Online
                              http://www.cimorelli.com/safe/shipmenu.htm

æ, !

Comment

Working...
                              X