Wowk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wowk

My Grandfather Mykyta (Michael) Wowk was born in 1891 in Tovsten'ke, Husiatyn, Ternopil, Ukraine. I know that as a young man he was immigrated to Argentina and then in 1912 moved to Manitoba in Canada where he had family. The Ellis Island records show a brother Oteksa Wowk. Looking for more information on him and his family.

I think his uncle may have been known as Alexander Wowk. I know grandfather had a cousin Mickey.

He he later moved to Alberta in Canada. I think his parents were Nicholas and Anne.

OLEKSA is Alexander in English.

Mickey could be nick for Mykola/Nicholas or Myhajlo/Michael?

The name of the village is Touste (pronounced Towste). Tovstenke is endearing name for village. Touste had its own GC and RC Parish and Jewish Kahil.

Mykyta (Ukrainian: [mkt]) is a Ukrainian given name, cognate of Belarusian Mikita and Russian Nikita, all originally borrowed from Greek Nicetas.

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp

Comment

Thank you so much. That makes sense. Im having a hard time finding anyone else researching this family. Most spppreciated.

Comment

Wowk is transliteration/sounds like from Ukrainian . It translates to English word for WOLF, a very common surname notwithstanding the country.

There are still 3 Wowk's listed as living in selo/village Tovste:
        1928-05-05 48
        Marya, daughter of Ivan
        0 1944-05-07 41
        Olha, daughter of Volodymir
        0 1963-04-21 48
        Ivan, son of Myhajlo/Michael

( ) >

Selo Tovste > Husyatynskij raion/district was established on the Hnylka River in 1654. It was first referred to in 1420. Today there are still 547 people living there.
        It is clustered w/selo Kut, with which it shares the mayor and address code.

https://www.castles.com.ua/fileadmin...24e5f873c1.png

Address for Village Mayor (Wasyl Bilyanskij) - address can be copied as is:

. Ԧ, 25
        -
        Ц .
        UKRAINE - 48232

PS: There is a selo/village Tovstenke > CHORTKIV district> Ternopil region. Are your sure that your ancestral village was in Husyatin?

Three Wowk listed in Tovstenke
        1934-12-30
        Evhenia daughter of Volodymir
        1936-11-11
        Evstakhiy son of Stefan
        1940-05-10
        Evstakhiy son of Yosef

excerpt from Wikipedia:
        ̦ 1900 2132 ̦. ̦ ͦ* , , .

In 1900 on, Tovstenke there were 2,132 residents. Many villagers w/little land ownership emigrated to Canada, USA and Argentina.
        ==============================================================
        Get in touch w/Sylvia (Canadian-Ukrainian) w/contacts in the immediate area. She might be able to recommend someone to do some archival work for you. lorsyl@mts.net
        Last edited by Hannia; 8th April 2019, 17:14.

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp

Comment

Originally posted by Easyfordkid View Post
          Thank you so much. That makes sense. Im having a hard time finding anyone else researching this family. Most spppreciated.
          If you need a help with a research, i would be able to help you with it.
          Vasyl
          interpreter, guide, travel assistant all over Ukraine.
          www.ace-interpreter.com

Comment

Working...
          X