I am done, finished, can't do it anymore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am done, finished, can't do it anymore

I need one more person to research and I am finished with my family, but I can't. I can't find him anywhere. LDS does not have his village filmed, there's nothing. There is no sign of him, his people or village anywhere.
    The village I need is Hlyboka which is just south of Lesivka and north of Hlybivka. All I need is his marriage record and the gates will be opened. It's time to write to the Archives. Hannia or Ihor, which Archive do you think is best to write to, Ivano Frankivsk, Lviv or somewhere else? And speaking of the Archives, will they ever let us view the films on Family Search website. Many county's films can be viewed online through LDS, but no, not Ukraine.

Marya.

Of course selo Hlyboka (translates to DEEP) is still there.

( ).There are currently 1,500+ residents living there. It's a common name for a mountain village. The church in the photo was built in the nineties.

Глибока (Богородчанський район) — Вікіпедія
    ---------------------------

There had been a wooden GC church (St. Dmytro) there. It was built in 1902 and was destroyed in 1943 when the Ukrainian Partisans were fighting the Red Army there. It's probably why you are having such a problem. I can call the Hlyboka adm ofc tomorrow and ask about old church registers. Maybe they are still in the village. During the war the old babas of the village knew well enough to hide everything that had been in the church before any Russian onslaught. Keep your fingers crossed.

What time frame are you researching?
    Last edited by Hannia; 2nd April 2015, 13:43.

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp

Comment

Hello Hannia, nice to her from you. I am looking for my grandfather Vasil Pryjmak. He was born in Hlyboki between 1900 and 1905.
      Between 1920 and 1925 he married Catherine Demianyk from Lesivka.
      Vasil was my mother's father. She thinks his parents were killed leaving him orphaned. From what you said about the village, it seems possible. Thank you for your help, Maria

Comment

Marya.

I am having a problem w/phone number for Hlyboka's Mayor Nadya Tymkiv. I am in New York City and unfortunately I have an appt this morning. Will try again tomorrow AM. Глибоківська сільська рада (Богородчанський район) — Вікіпедія

æ, !

Comment

Hannia, you're in NYC, my home town. Have fun but be careful. Talk to you when you get home. Thank you again, Maria

Comment

Hi Hannia and Maria,

I have checked the availability of Hlyboka St. Dmytro GC records in Ivano-Frankivsk: there are no any.
            Since Hannia says the church was built in 1902, I had hope that the town used to belong to another parish before and there's still a chance to find the birth record of your grandfather (2 years: 1900-1902, you say he was born between 1900-1905). I have checked schematisms and I see that Glebokie (Hlyboka) St. Dmytro parish existed before 1902. Thus, no any metric records can be found in Ivano-Frankivsk.

BUT

Maria, you say that the marriage took place in 1920-1925 and your grandmother was from Lesivka. There"s St. Peter and Paul's GC church there and this is where the marriage must have been registered.
            Lesivka records available in Ivano-Frankivsk Archives date to:
            - birth: 1784–1831, 1831–1855, 1855–1889, 1835–1887
            - marriage: 1784–1888, 1888–1907, 1835–1887
            - death: 1835–1887, 1784–1880, 1873–1907
            It is a good chance to trace your grandmother's ancestry back.
            Yes, they were filmed by LDS and you have most probably researched them already.

Lesivka marriage records since 1920s can be in Bohorodychany CRO.

Regards,
            Andriy
            Happiness is not a station you arrive at,
            but a manner of traveling
            DOROSH HERITAGE TOURS

Comment

Marya, tomorrow I'll try calling Hlyboka again.

Andriy and Ihor, very credible native researchers, are both telling you to make an inquiry at Bohorodczany RAHS. You will need to create a PRIVACY RELEASE and then via snail mail submit your request thru the Ministry of Justice > Civilian Registration. I not only have all the RAHS addresses, but I also have the antheka (privacy release) copy you'll need. Let's just wait another day...
              =========
              Where do you live now?

æ, !

Comment

Hannia, I am so sorry. Since you were in NYC I should have told you to go a Ukrainian butcher store that we have been going to for decades. It's called Baczynsky's East Village Meat Market on 2nd Avenue between 8th and 9th streets. Excellent place for kobasa, babka, shiska (if you dare) everything you can imagine.
                I now live in New Jersey.
                It's no wonder I can't get any records of my grandfather, sounds like there aren't any. LDS has marriage records only till late 1907 for Lesivka.
                Thanks everyone, Maria

Comment

Marijka.

The old man, Julian Baczynsky, can still be found there, chatting it up w/one elder or another. I live closer to the Hudson River, but still try getting over there once a month.

You know that the recent huge gas explosion in NYC was only a block away? George Pasternak, former manager at Orchidia (formerly corner of 9th St), owned one of those buildings that collapsed.

===============================
                  PS> Don't fret too much and don't give up. Something will turn up.

æ, !

Comment

I know about the fire. My mother and her friends were playing bingo 2 blocks away in the Samopovich Bank when it happened, but the crazy old babas kept playing. I'll ask her about Pasternak, I went to school (St. George) with a Pasternak. He was a class or two behind me. I thought you lived in Canada. Maria

Comment

M.

No, this Pasternak would likely be in his early seventies today.

I graduated St. George's before the new school was built.

æ, !

Comment

Wait a minute. My brother, sister and I all went to St. George. My brother and I went to the High School but not my sister, the High School was not there. She went to Cathedral. Are you saying you went to St. George Elementary? We should talk some more.

Comment

M.

The original St. George's School was on E. 9th off Ave C. It had once been a public school. The parish rented the space and set up their original school there. Most of us were DP and spoke no English. Since some of the teachers were Ukrainian, that facilitated the learning of the new language.

BTW the original, turn of the century St. George's Church was on 21st, off of 1st Ave.

æ, !

Comment

Oh yes, St. Brigid. The old CYM building was on 10th between A and B. I'm from 10th between 1st and A. Although it was tough, it was still a great place to grow up. Maria

Comment

M.

We will have to wait until Monday now for further info.
                              --------------------------------------------
                              You attended SUM? How are your Ukrainian skills?

æ, !

Comment

Working...
                              X