Konotop, Russia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Konotop, Russia

Hi - I am new at this so please bear with me. I am looking for records for my grandfather Peter Sczamrylo (as spelled on the ship manifest) or Schamrylo. We spelled it Szemrelo. He was born in 1894 in Konotop, Russia (as listed on the ship manifest). He was met in America by Wasily Kochnowich. He arrived in Philadelphia in 1913 from Liverpool, England and lived in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. From childhood memories I remember the family talking about the Ukraine but also about the Pinsk area in Belarus. Any suggestions where I should start? Thank you!

Brestregion.com shows two Konotop in what is Belarus today.
    ===============================================
    I copied following from Belarus Archives:

After the second partition of Rzecz Pospolita (1793), the central part of Belarus
    was annexed to the Russian Empire, where the Minsk gubernia/region was formed
    in 1795-1796.

The Minsk gubernia consisted of 13 uezds/counties: Bobruisk, Borisov, Vileika, David-Gorodok, Disna, Dok****sy, Igumen, Mozyr, Minsk, Nesvizh, Postavy, Pinsk, and Slutsk uezds. In 1796, the David-Gorodok, Dok****sy, Nesvizh, and Postavy uezds were abolished. In 1797, the Rechitsa uezd was included into the Minsk gubernia. In 1842, the Novogrudok uezd was given to the Minsk gubernia from the Grodno gubernia; the Vileika and Disna uezds went into the Vilno gubernia. From November 1917, the Minsk gubernia was included into the Western Region; in 1918 - into the Western Commune; from January 1, 1919 - into the BSSR; from February 2, 1919 - into Litbel. In 1919, the Baranovichi uezd was formed; the Rechitsa and Mozyr uezds as well as some parts of the Bobruisk, Borisov, and Igumen uezds were added
    to the Gomel gubernia. In 1920, the Nesvizh uezd was established. In 1921, when a part of the Minsk gubernia (except Bobruisk, Borisov, Igumen, Mozyr, Minsk, and Slutsk uezds) went into Poland, the Minsk gubernia ceased to exist.

Should we be looking for Konotop in Pinsk???

Last edited by Hannia; 13th January 2015, 19:02.

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp

Comment

-

I found a village/derevnya called Konotop in Pinsk(iy) raion/district > today Brest region > Belarus. This is what was called Poliesie area (marshes between Ukraine and Belarus).

My time is limited today. Will get back to this later today.
      ------------------------------------------------------------------
      Will also explain following later: Sergei Zhukovich sergei@brestregion.com
      Last edited by Hannia; 13th January 2015, 19:02.

æ, !

Comment

Konotop, Russia

Hannia - Thank you for all the information! In further research I have found my grandfather's 1917 US Military Draft registration card. On that card it states he was from, what looks like, Pochost, Minski, Poland. It's very confusing.Thank you for your help with this.

Comment

I took the liberty to look at the military record that you are referencing.

Grandfather was illiterate, but he was not a stupid man. Pohost Zahorodny was the gmina - tax district town. Konotop (Lesniczowka) was a hamlet in Pohost. (Pohost was part of the Pinsk Church Deanery.) This was the Minsk gubernia/region. During Interwar Period 1919-1938 this region was under Reconstituted Poland's domain. In 1924 this was the Polesie region > Poland. TODAY it is Belarus.

In records, Immigrant Ancestors frequently referred to their district centers for geographical reference, because their villages were small and would be hard to locate.
          Last edited by Hannia; 13th January 2015, 22:14.

æ, !

Comment

Konotop, Russia

Hannia - What a wealth of information. Thank you so much. One last question. My grandmother always referred to my grandfather as Russian (we won't get into family name calling) but wouldn't he have been Polish? Thank you.

Comment

Working...
            X