Bridok -Kuriyets; "Ҧ"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridok -Kuriyets; "Ҧ"

Hello everyone I hope that this finds you well.

I'm in the process of ordering microfilm records for the Orthodox Church in Bridok - across the Dniester from my family's ancestral village of Syn'kiv. I have found some other "Kuriets" names here in Manitoba and the records I ordered state that they are from Bridok. I'm curiousif there are any family in that village with the Ҧ name - I'm interested in seeing if they are connected to the family in Syn'kiv. Would these two villlages have been in close contact with each other - was it common for families to be split on both sides of the river??

Thanks for your help/thoughts/suggestions in advance.

Blessings to you all!
    Stephen Cureatz - Stefan Kuriyets - Ҧ

Greetings from Ukraine, Steve!
    Bridok - village in Zastavna district Chernivtsi region. Sybkiv - village in Zaaliaschyky district Ternopil region. These villages divides the river Dniester. On the right bank Bridok, on the left - Synkiv. Before Dniester is frontier. On the left bank was Austria, then Poland. on the right shore - Romania ..
    In Synkiv is many greenhouses, which grows tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. During the visit in Synkiv saw on Dniester runs boat and transports people from Brodok neighboring villages in Synkiv to work. Of course, people had also traveled and before. Maybe some Kuriyets moved to Bridok or vice versa.
    Many Kuriyets lived in Synkiv. However, Kuriyets is also in the neighboring villages - Duniv, Schytivtsi, Horodok. There are also other regions of Ukraine.

0 1961-09-30
    0 1939-11-07
    0 1928-05-15
    0 1954-12-01
    2667535 1910-03-06 .
    0 1939-04-23
    0 1963-05-15
    0 1910-03-06
    0 1929-06-09
    0 1989-01-01

Photo Synkiv you can look at my page on FB (Ukrainian Genealogy section):
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7453489&type=3
    Igor

Comment

Hello Steve,

It's certainly plausible that there is a familial connection between the Kuriyets from Syn'kiv and Bridok.

A few years ago, I was in touch with a local historian from one of my ancestral villages (Doroshivtsi, a neighbouring village situated upstream from Bridok). He was telling me about skilled local rivermen who used to operate small wooden barges to transport goods and people between villages on both banks of the Dnister.

Before the commercial availability of outboard engines at the turn of the 20th century, the rivermen would steer their barge using long wooden poles. In some locations, a guy rope/wire was strung between the two banks, to which the barge could be attached by a few pulleys. During winter months, the Dnister would be frozen over, allowing one to walk across to the other bank.

During both world wars, these rudimentary ferry systems were often the targets of destruction. To give you an example of how things have not much changed (except for the addition of outboard engines), check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRXrYP61r3s&t=132.

It appears that the area along the Dnister in Ternopil oblast may have been home to many Kuriyets. Besides the other villages that Ihor Voronchak mentioned in his preceding post, I also noted that the social networking site, VK.com, reveals a number of Kuriyets in Zalischyky as well.

Regards,

Richard

Φ!

Comment

Thanks Igor and Richard.

I assumed that it was a possibility, so I'm guessing it's worth pursuing to see if there is indeed a connection and proving it. Are there any Kuriyets in Bridok at the moment??? It's interesting that there are some in othere villages close by, but I wonder if there are any at all still in Bridok??

Blessings to you both!!!
        Stephen Cureatz - Stefan Kuriyets - Ҧ

Comment

Hi Steve,

Somebody from the Bridok village council may be better able to answer your question. Online searches such as phone directories and other sources can be limited in their application.

Probably worth a shot, before you expend too much time and energy poring over the metrical books.

Richard

Φ!

Comment

Working...
          X