Help finding family ancestors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding family ancestors

I am trying to find out information out about my ancestry and have hit a brick wall with my great grandparents. Here is what I do have:

Andrew Kopcho
    Born 3/23/1889 in Velikiye Komyaty (everything he has says Austria/Hungry/Czechoslovakia)
    Immigrated to the US in April 1914. It appears he came through Patras Greece. According to the passanger list he was in Sevastopol at one point as well. They also had his name spelled as Kopse

Sophia Maleta (sp) Kopcho
    Born 3/1/1891 I believe the same town but I do not have one listed.
    Immigrated 2/1921
    Parents are (I believe) Charles and Sophie Kozup Maleta and her brother was Charles Maleta all of Austria/Hungry.

They were married at a St. Michaels Church on 1/25/1911 by a Rev. John Haroby.

I know the region that at least my Great Grandpa Andrew was born in has been through so much so I am sure documentation will be hard to find. I did find a Gora Korpcha that was persecuted during WW2 in Velikiye Komyaty but don't know if there is a connection.

If anyone has any tips or recognizes these surnames and could tell me more about them I would greatly appreciate it!

Velyki Komyaty - Vynohradiv raion - Zakarpattia oblast:
    http://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/χΕΜΙΛ¦_λΟΝ'ΡΤΙ

Searching a bit out-of-dated databases shows (from about 6800 village population):
    - 241 Kopcha (in Ukrainian - λΟΠήΑ) family names,
    - 163 Kozub (λΟΪΥΒ),
    - 15 Maleta (νΑΜΕΤΑ).

Greek-catholic (Ukrainian) metrical books from Velyki Komyaty - listed in 2009 catalogues of Uzhgorod archives
    - from years: 1850–1861; 1882–1904; 1931–1938 (births, deaths, marriages).

Would you need help of the researher in the area - may contact me - e-mail: lvivtravel@yahoo.com
    Interpreter/guide/driver services, airport transfers, genealogy tours and researches in western Ukraine and eastern Poland

Comment

Thank you- Do you know if any of this information is online?

Thanks!

Comment

No - I've tryed different languages versions of Velyki Komyaty on familysearch.org - seems that not any records from village were filmed.
        Probably some foreign researchers may know other sources online - I'm usually working with real records in archives, registry offices and onsite.
        Interpreter/guide/driver services, airport transfers, genealogy tours and researches in western Ukraine and eastern Poland

Comment

I normally would take you up on your offer but I can not afford to pay anyone for this. I am doing this search with the help of ancestry.com but I have only gotten so far with it. They provided me with free access to their site in exchange for writing about it on my website. Would you be open to assisting in exchange for me including you in my writing?

Comment

- surely yes - in exchange for my writing above (and info I've provided) - including me into your writing - is quite fair.

Comment

Thank you. I will send you an email with all the information I have (and even show you some of my past posts which has screen shots of the details I have). I really appreciate your help!

Comment

The Hungarian name for Velyki Komyaty was Magyar Komjat located in Ugocsa varmegye.

Can I suggest that you also take a look at my website Carpathian Reflections ?
                Family Search does have a collection of badly described films for this region that are not indexed with place names. It is a motley collection and I have very slowly been trying to clarify the contents for the last couple of years. The Main database gives a description of the contents of each film I have reviewed. Further information on some of the films may be found in the sub-databases.

The main database has a couple of entries for Magyar Komjat for bdm for 1834 and 1902-1903. You will need to order the relevant films from Family Search. It would also be worthwhile checking the information in the subdatabases that has been transcribed for your family names of interest.

I do not charge money to use this site but I do ask visitors to assist in transcribing some data in the projects page every time they visit the site.

Regards
                Kika
                Carpathian Reflections

Comment

Thank you for that information! I will be sure to check out your site and see what I can find!

Comment

Working...
                  X