Szmyrki, Lmyak: Help with placenames

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Szmyrki, Lmyak: Help with placenames

I've always been told my paternal grand-father's family came from Ukraine, and we believed they were specifically from Galicy/Halychyna. But I've had trouble learning what city or village the family came from specifically.

My great-grandfather came to Ellis Island in 1914, and on the passenger manifest he stated his hometown was Szmyrki, Russia. He indicated he was going to stay in the Lower East Side of Manhattan with his brother, who one year earlier stated at Ellis Island that his hometown was Lmyak, Russia. Another passenger arriving with my great-grandfather -- who said he was planning to stay at the same Lower East Size address, listed Szinirky, Russia as his hometown.

Can anyone help me to know what places these placenames might refer to? I think it is likely they were located in present-day Ukraine, but perhaps that is not the case after all. Ellis Island records from around this time certainly show that some passengers state Galicy or Galicia as their home -- so it's not like a village in that area would necessarily be referred to, or recorded as, simply Russia. But I'm at a loss to find any Szmyrki, Szinirky, or Lmyak in Ukraine, Russia, Poland or Belarus.

Thanks very much in advance to anyone who has an idea that could point me in the right direction.

Had your Immigrant Ancestor emigrated from Galicia, he and his brother would have been registered as coming from Austria. From late 18th century to 1919 the Historic Galicia Province was a part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (Hapsburg Emperors).

What was his full name? I would like to look at the original ship manifest.
    Last edited by Hannia; 24th February 2014, 13:24.

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp

Comment

You Immigrant Ancestors were Ukrainian, although at the time of immigration your ancestral village was located in Czarist Russia and technically they were Russian citizens.

TODAY selo/village Shmyrky = ( in Ukrainian) is a hamlet of appx 500 > Volochyskiy raion/district > Khmelnytska oblast/region > Ukraine > latest zip code 31231

https://www.google.com/maps/place/49...s0x0:0x0?hl=uk
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
      What was your paternal Grandfather's full name?
      Last edited by Hannia; 24th February 2014, 15:06.

æ, !

Comment

Thank You Hannia -- this is extremely helpful.

My great-grandfather was Anton Maluk.

Shmyrky certainly seems like a close match. Late last night I actually found this page, which shows the same spelling as was used on the passenger manifest to show a parish in the area of Bazalia, and it looks like the page is in Polish. Maybe Szmirki was more of a Polish spelling? Szlachta Woynia, Podola i Kijowszczyzny. Poszukiwania przodkw, wywody rodowitoci szlacheckiej. Genealogia, herby, szlachta.

So it is gratifying to see that you too identify this as present-day Shmyrky, in Volochysk Raion.

Any idea what Lmyak, Russia would refer to? That is what Anton Maluk's brother said was his home.

Comment

It is in fact your ancestral village, which at the time of migration was in the Old Vohlynskaya gubernia/region of Czarist Russia. Technically there was no such geopolitical entity as Poland from the late 18th century to 1921 (specifically to this area). During the Interwar Period Poland was reconstituted and given domain of this region. The Poles made many changes to the region and its districts. Post WW2 there were more changes made by the Soviets.

Where did Bazalia come from? Selo Bazalia is in Teofipolskij raion (during Russian Period it was in Starokonstantinov uyezd/district >Vohlynskaya gubernia) > Khmelnytska oblast. During the Interwar Period this village was in Kamenets-Podolskiy oblast.)

What was Anton's brother's given name?

BTW Shmyrki (transliteration of Szmyrki) was predominantly Greek Catholic until 1794, when it was obligated to convert to Russian Orthodoxy. New master, new place name , new religion.
          Last edited by Hannia; 24th February 2014, 18:08.

æ, !

Comment

Originally posted by Hannia View Post

What was Anton's brother's given name?
            Stefan Maluk

Comment

OK.

The Brothers Maluk were from the same village! Anton had a ship clerk w/a better handwriting. His wife was Eudokhia (probably called Eva by husband).

I could easily understand how you saw what you saw when examining Stefan's record. This clerk wrote Zmyaki. Luckily there were several people from the same place and one can see how the place name disintegrated under his tired hand. I did have a problem w/his wife's name, but I will guess it was Ksenia.

I took a quick look at the surname Maluk in the village. There are still Maluk living there, except their surname is actually pronounced Malyuk - Maliuk = .
              ====================================

Following is meant strictly as encouragement to take this research to another level. I transliterated only the male names.

1932-04-20
              1918-05-13
              1928-12-23
              1936-02-16
              1922-02-05
              1997-01-06
              1975-07-30
              1995-01-18
              Malyuk Vyktor, son of Nykolaj
              1941-08-05
              1940-03-08
              Tymofij, son of Korneyev
              1936-09-01
              1967-06-06
              Nykolaj, son of Yaroslav
              0 1936-09-23
              Serhiy, son of Marko
              Last edited by Hannia; 24th February 2014, 18:59.

æ, !

Comment

Extremely helpful -- thanks very much.

How were you able to find a list of Maluks, or Maliouks, born in Shmyrky?

Also, interesting that following four people were on the same boat as my great-grandfather and came from the same village:
                Afanary Mychalcsuk
                Fedej Momant
                Hrynori Kolomjec
                Nykolaj Kalynink

Comment

How were you able to find a list of Maluks, or Maliouks, born in Shmyrky?
                  I am multilingual and use a variety of internet resources.
                  ================================================
                  Also, interesting that following four people were on the same boat as my great-grandfather and came from the same village:
                  Friends from same villages traveling together for work was not uncommon. Many stayed until they earned some money and then returned home.
                  =================================================

You ask me vague questions and I am not clear what you want to accomplish.

æ, !

Comment

I am not clear what I want to accomplish either, though the first step was to determine for certain my great-grandfather's hometown.

I guess the next step from here would be to see if I can learn the name of his (Anton Maluk's) mother and father, and perhaps trace our lineage farther back. Perhaps I would need to make contact with some of the living Maluks/Mayuks/Maliouks in Shymrky to learn that. Or is these another source of information, like birth records from earlier than 1914? I think Anton was born in or near 1883.

Comment

Do you know what religion GGrandfather practiced? If he was Orthodox, those records are likely in Lutsk archives today. They have not been filmed, so your only recourse is to hire a local to perform the research on your behalf. One of our members is Andriy Dorosh, a Vohlynian, who is quite familiar w/Lutsk Archives. His rates are very fair and he can put your family tree together for you. He comes w/exc references, Once you have a tree, you will have a handle on who is who and Andrij can make an inquiry re any surviving direct family members still living in the village. You certainly don't want family members that might not be your own.

If I have time tomorrow, I will put together a history of GGrandfather's village. I will also look for some photos of the place.

Goodnight.

æ, !

Comment

I'm not aware what religion he practiced for sure. Either Orthodoxy or Catholicism. My father and grand-parents were Catholics once in the U.S. in any case.

Comment

Anyone have an idea where Kroupin, Russia could have been? On Anton's World War II draft registration card he listed that as his place of birth.

Comment

Okay, I guess this is the most likely village:

http://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/

Comment

The village Krupyn was a hamlet founded in 1810. Today this is the Khmilnytskij raion/district (not same as Khmelnytska oblast) > Vynnytska oblast/region. The hamlet is clustered w/ village Bereziv today, w/which it shares its village mayor and post ofc. This was Czarist Russia at the turn of the 19th century.

æ, !

Comment

Working...
                              X