No announcement yet.

Ukrainian roots are being uprooted -

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I say again... the EU is NOT a cure all for economic and social difficulties..... they haven`t really done much for Romania or Bulgaria.... LOOK at the economies of countries like Greece... the EU bleeds them dry and imposes laws they don`t want..... tell me WHAT benefits will Ukraine as a Country get from closer ties to the EU???? if the UK could get out of the EU I would be for it!!!!!
    John 3/16

Comment

It is obvious that there are some here, who will never get it. It must be the bright light.
      ------------------------------------
      Since the protestors are digitally connected, following is what is actually happening:

The Gorgine Institute has been conducting opinion polls in Ukraine.

Some 56% of those surveyed were at Maiden to demand the resignation of the president and his government.

Only 28% were there specifically to support the Association Agreement w/the EU.

There is also another poll that shows most Russian-speaking Eastern Ukrainians under 35 yrs old, stand behind the Kyiv protestors.

The latest news shows that even the Communists are proposing a NO CONFIDENCE VOTE of their own.
      ---------------------------------
      The Ukrainian protestors are not the simple serfs of yesteryear. These are well-educated people, who prefer to control their own destinies and I support them. One day Putin will die and even the Russian people will be able to break away from the Soviet, and follow the Ukrainians west.
      ---------------------------------
      Please Support Ukraine's Freedom of Choice
      https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...mbers/h58Fz30V

Last edited by Hannia; 18th December 2013, 17:04.

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp

Comment

Ukraine’s Russian lifeline means European pain
        By Pierre Briancon
        December 18, 2013

European Union | Gas | Russia | ukraine

By Pierre Briançon

The author is a Reuters Breakingviews columnist. The opinions expressed are his own.

Ukrainian president Viktor Yanukovich has found a friend to help keep him out of bankruptcy until election time, but by then the sponsor may find that $15 billion was a bit much to spend on a loser.

Ukrainian debt investors were relieved by the unexpected announcement that Russia would use its oil-financed rainy-day fund to help its troubled neighbour by buying its bonds. They may think that Kiev has at least postponed a default. Moscow has also consented to a significant discount on the price of the gas it sells its former satellite.

That could allow Ukraine to limp along until its presidential election, scheduled for 2015. But Putin’s handout doesn’t solve the country’s fundamental economic problems, and it increases the risk that the end of the Yanukovich era won’t be peaceful. The Russian president has scored a tactical coup. He moved a day after European Union officials shut the door on Ukraine for good, because they realised that Yanukovich didn’t want to talk seriously about a possible agreement.

Furthermore, Putin hasn’t yielded much. Buying Ukrainian bonds at market rates hardly qualifies as help – at current yields, it could even pass for theft. It is risky, but not necessarily costly, to hold a small part of the reserve fund in Ukrainian bonds. And the gas price “concession” only brings the price down to a little below what the rest of Europe pays; Ukraine has been paying a significant premium so far. And that sort of deal – which may be worth about $2 billion a year to Kiev – is reversible overnight.

Yanukovich and Putin went to great lengths to pretend that no concessions were forced on Ukraine. There was no word about the Russian president’s pet project – a customs union of the two countries and Belarus. But that will not fool the thousands of demonstrators who want to move their country closer to Europe, if only because that would take them further away from Russia. Yanukovich has just strengthened their resolve to push him out of office.

http://blogs.reuters.com/breakingvie...european-pain/

æ, !

Comment

This is an important issue and I've watched it closely since November. But, why is it in the Genealogy forum?

It would be more appropriate, and probably get more interested followers, if it was moved to either the Politics or Current Events forums.

Comment

This is the most active of all the sub-forums here. It is this subforum that creates all the traffic into the site. Since I had been posting here for appx 10 yrs +, I knew this is where it would get the attention that was necessary. Prior to these posts there was NO MENTION of the protests in Majdan. Please note the date of my initial post. FYI this site is managed by pro-Russian moderators. Actually, I am surprised that my posts are still up.
            ----------------------------------
            Last edited by Hannia; 21st December 2013, 19:31.

æ, !

Comment

A MUST SEE EXPERIENCE
              3D Euromaidan

æ, !

Comment

Yes, I am also watching it closely since this all started. It’s just like; there is absolutely nothing that I can do. Thanks Hannia for keeping us posted. I greatly appreciate all you have done, and are doing, on this devastating situation.

Comment

Hello Sylvie.

Empowered by technology, the whole world is taking account of the Ukrainian people, as they stand in the bitter cold, not discouraged in their quest for dignity and self-determination. This is a historical passage taking place in Ukraine. For you and me, and others like us in the Diaspora, fighting the fantasy and willful ignorance of Russophilia doesn't feel like we are doing enough, however it is what we can do.

æ, !

Comment

rather a sweeping statement Hannia saying all moderators are pro Russian.... and if we all are as you state surely it is to our credit that we haven`t deleted your posts.... whatever our political views as moderators we are fair and honest in moderating the boards.
                    John 3/16

Comment

Sylvie.

I should have typed fighting fragmentary fantasy.
                      -----------------------------------------------------------------
                      ‘We Won in Fair and Open Fight' – Putin | Russia | RIA Novosti

æ, !

Comment

maybe try being less critical Hannia and not so full of your own self opinionated point of view, what is wrong with a few .... does that really offend you SO much? and where was the fantasy? your posts haven`t been edited or deleted have they? and remember there is not just eastern Ukraine there is also western Ukraine, and there aren`t just Ukrainian speaking Ukrainains but also Russian speaking Ukrainians, your view is not necessarily the view of all Ukrainians.
                        John 3/16

Comment

I am proud to show where I stand.........how about you?

Reading these comments with a critical eye.

Let us do an experiment.

First me....I am 1000% pro opposition, and support the removal and expulsion of yanukovych as president. He has failed to uphold the Constitution (rather he has changed it illegally,,,,to his advantage) He has failed to lead for the good of the nation and its citizens.

I am AGAINST HIS GOV'T AND ITS CORRUPT PRACTICES.

Second.......If I may be so bold as to speak for Hannia.....I believe she thinks the same as I do.

Third/ Fourth/ Fifth/ Sixth....MODERATIORS.......

Will you state here,,,,for all to see,,,,,,,,are you 100% for Euromaidan, and its actions; or against?

An abstain ,,,,,,,will mean you are pro gov't.

Let us show which side we support.........FOR CURRENT GOVT.........or .........FOR OPPOSITION?

One simple question.....= .....one simple answer.

SLAVA UKRAINA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

my political views are my political views and have no bearing on my role as a moderator, I uphold the rules of the forum, that is my role!!!. I do it free of charge and because I want to keep the boards free from offensive material, you can read ALL my posts and comments and I try never to insult or offend, which is unlike some I could mention whether I am pro Russian or pro Maidan is irrelevant and actually none of your business. Have a VERY Blessed Christmas whether you celebrate tomorrow or on 7th January remembering Jesus is the reason.
                            John 3/16

Comment

nicsadler / moderator 1 = pro yanuk govt.

Agreed...your role is is to keep boards free of offensive material.

The whole 'free world' is against yanuk and his offensive regieme

Quote......"...whether I am pro Russian or pro Maidan is irrelevant and actually none of your business..."

Respectfuly sir.......it is relavent....what is there hide that you wish a nation of 45 million people to be free and enjoy democracy as you do in UK......and I in Canada.
                              If you are not able to stand in support with 45 million people,,,,,then you position is lies in your "Freudian slip"

ps.....I never said 'pro Russian'.......obvioulsly this is a 'Freudian slip' ......of your true position.

Sir.....let us be honest.........you cannot take a neutral position .......there is nothing to be afraid of supporting the opposition, and freedom and democracy for my /our relatives / friends/ nighbours and each and every Ukrainian citizen.

Please,,,,sir ....do not hide behind your role as 'independent ' moderator.........

I know you will enjoy a Merry and prosperous Christmas.......

But I am extending all my hopes and good wishes and health ,to those brave 'fighters of freedom'. for democracy at the Euromaidan.

Those brave thousands , enduring the cold, in their fight against yanukrook and his political elite,,,,,who are masquerading as a gov't.......for the people.....ha ha ha !!

To EuroMaidan..........Merry Christmas......Xristos Voskress!! .......y .....Slava Ukraina!!

Comment

what do you mean by the "free World"? do you class the UK as free? we are not, we are governed by an oppressive government that favours the rich and big business, they see the poor and under priviledged as a burden that the government shouldn`t support, our health service that has always been the envy of the World they want to destroy! we are NOT free. You imply 45 million Ukrainians are against Yanokovich, they are not, if all 45 million were given a torally free vote for or against Yanokovich I am not sure what the result would be. You didn`t say pro Russian a previous poster did, my wife is from Mariupol and says that many of those in Maidan want to leave Ukraine and work in Europe which is what the EU want as with the Bulgarians and Romanians as it will be cheap labour for big business putting local workers out of work, it will NOT benefit the Ukrainian economy, those not in Maidan are working and trying to improve the Ukrainian economy by staying at work and not fleeing to some dream which almost certainly will not be fulfilled by Europe, also the EU will control laws and as you are in Canada you will know that A Christian couple will find it VERY hard to adopt as opposed to a homosexual couple... a free country?? in Ukraine a Christian couple can still adopt freely, this may well change with closer ties to Europe. Is this really freedom?. For the benefit of previous posters these are my personal views and not necessarily those of Ukraine.com.
                                John 3/16

Comment

Working...
                                X