Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pavlokoma Families

Hello

It has been a long time since I posted but I visit this site almost daily. What a great site.

I am still trying to locate information about my relatives from Pavlokoma. There seems to be a gap in archival birth/marriage/death records for the period from 1845-1945. Were the records destroyed during the 3 Mar 1945 attack? Is there a second set of records(the "bishops copy") somewhere in Poland or Ukraine? Did the LDS film any Pavlokoma records during the past couple of years?

I would love to hear from anyone who has relatives that came from Pavlokoma. Some of the surnames I am interested in - Petrovych, Aftanas, Mudryk, Trojan, Fedak, Potichnyj, Szpak, Karpa..... the list goes on

Na vse dobre

Tempo

Petro Potichnyj wrote a detailed book about Pavlikoma
    Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Irene

I have this book and 3 others from the Pavlokoma Foundation......They contain excellent data for the early years and for the generations involved in the 3 March massacre. It somewhat slow going since I do not read Ukrainian or Polish.

Comment

Tempo,
        He has also written a short memoir in English called My Journey. He spoke at a meeting of the Toronto Ukrainian Genealogy Group(TUGG Homepage) :

April 14, 2009 - Professor Peter Potichnyj spoke on "The Ukrainian Insurgent Army (UPA) and its Activities in Zakerzonnia." Dr. Potichnij outlined the history and structure of the UPA and their struggle to protect Ukrainians from Polish, German and Soviet armies during WW II and after. He discussed the tragic forced relocation of Ukrainian families living in a 60 kilometer band of land, families dating back to 900. He also discussed the work his compatriates were doing to preserve the documents arising out of the conflict.

The website is http://www.litopysupa.com

Ruth
        Ruth Zaryski Jackson

www.memoirwritersworld.blogspot.com

Comment

Tempo.

Glad to see your post.

Church was "Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary" [1787] [destroyed]
          The masonry church was built in 1909 and replaced an older wooden church from 1787. The church was renovated in 1879. The old wooden church was damaged by a fire and the people attended services in Sil'nycja until 1875. Because the people of Sil'nycja did not want to contribute to the reconstruction of the church, the changes to the Latin Rite. Most of the villagers (all but 40 women and children who were deported), including the last priest, were gathered into the church and killed by the Poles on March 3, 1945. Later the church was torn apart and only the masonry bell tower remains

THE FILIAL CHURCHES WERE IN BARTIVKE AND SILNYCIA !!! Have you checked those?

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp

Comment

Thank you Ruth and Hannia,

Ruth, I have read My Journey...I enjoyed it very much. Most likely I have visited just about every Pavlokoma web site there is, whether spelled in English, Polish or cyrillic. There are a few YouTube videos about Pavlokoma that are still on my list to deal with. There are also two 26 minute interviews w Prof. PJP and with Polish historians regarding Pavlokoma. Again, my problem is not being able to understand spoken Polish or Ukrainian. Needless to say, I have collected a lot of data on Pavlokoma diaspora.

Hannia, you have I pointed out my next challenge. I need to write the filial churches and archives. More to come. Thanks again.

Comment

Tempo,

Merry Christmas and I hope that the New Year will bring you more answers to those open questions you have. I would also like to thank you for your generous help. Best Wishes !!!

æ, !

Comment

http://www.ukraine.com/forums/geneal...tml#post101768

æ, !

Comment

Thank Hannia. You must be a mind reader. I have just started to turn my attention to
                  tracking down Pavlokoma victims of the Nazi and NKVD a few days before your posts . The sites you high lighted the past few days have been helpful. The one below has also been extremely helpful:

straty

My grandfather (Petrovych) (Petrowicz) mothers name was (Koshtovs"ka) (Kosztowska). There are Petrovych and Koshtovs"ka names on the list. The name Jan Kosztowska keeps popping up on census and ship records as well. One of the folks that my grandfather sent money to in 1908 was a Jan Kosztowska. All I need to do now is to figure out if we are related somehow.

I did find the father of Prof. P.J. Potichnyj among the NKVD victims.
                  Tempo

Comment

I am not sure if this will help, but I saw a post on ancestry.com that states:

"Lenius' gazetteer identifies the Roman Catholic parish as being Dylagowa, and the Greek Catholic parish as Pawlokoma"

Message Boards

I am also looking for my family from Pawlokoma. I believe mine were Roman Catholic so I am going to look in the Dylagowa Parish.

Comment

Originally posted by genresearch2 View Post
                      "Lenius' gazetteer identifies the Roman Catholic parish as being Dylagowa, and the Greek Catholic parish as Pawlokoma"
                      Pawlokoma was predominantly a Ruthenian/Ukrainian village w/its own GC parish. This is one of the villages where a Polish massacre of most Ukrainian residents took place. Check Tempo's newer posts.

Endnotes for Lenius' gazetteer also indicate that information for Dylogowa may be listed incorrectly - for both RC and GC parish registers. This info is as per 1914 (BIGO) gazetteer.

æ, !

Comment

Hi Hannia

You must be physic, I am getting ready to visit Toronto area next week to meet with several survivors of the Pavlokoma massacre, including Professor Potichnyj. Thanks to you I was able to find excellent cadastral map and vital records on the Przemyl Archive site. What a treasure trove of information!

I had the 9 section cadastral map digitally pieced together and commercially printed on large format -ca 4x5 feet. The 1852 map is in color as are most of the maps on the Przemyl site and the Pavlokoma map includes house numbers.

Are there any other Ukraine. com members in the Toronto area?

Tempo

Comment

Tempo,

Are you considering putting a book together?
                          =============================
                          Off the top of my head there are two forum members, who live in Toronto, that come to mind immediately:

zarjacks = Ruth
                          rwf = Richard

Any Torontians I might have forgotten - please contact Tempo by PM !

æ, !

Comment

A couple of books are on the horizon - I have extensive interview notes recorded over the last 4-5 years of 2 survivors. Much has been written about the March 3 massacre. I am trying to focus more on what it was like growing up as young girls in Pavlokoma in the 1930s and beyond.

I also created the Pavlokoma Diaspora Series which is a collection of data bases tracking Pavlokoma residents around the world and through time. So far 12-14 volumes representing over 2000 pages had been recorded. A copy of each has been forwarded to Professor Potichnyj to include in his collection in the University of Toronto.

If I hear from any of the Toronto crew, perhaps we could arrange to get together?

Tempo

Comment

Tempo.

Thank you for taking the time to perform such difficult and informative work.

æ, !

Comment

Working...
                              X