Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for great grandparents' families....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for great grandparents' families....

To say I am frustrated, is a sheer understatement. I have been working on my family tree for nearly 3 1/2 years and finally got my great grandmother's maiden name about six months ago. All I have for her is her name, Feigah (Fanny) Dorolotzsky... where she is from, Kiev...and her approximate year of birth, 1876. I also have frustrations trying to find Aaron's family as well.

She married my great grandfather, Aaron Jampolsky, in Odessa. They had my grandfather's brothers Maurice and Louis and sister Rose in Odessa and then moved to Milwaukee where my grandfather and his sisters Dorothy and Bertha and brother Max were born. I do know that my great grandfather died in July of 1914. Fanny then moved the family to Phliadelphia. In the first census where I found them, when they lived in Milwaukee, the last name was Jampolsky. When I found them in the census when they lived in the Phliadelphia, it was Jampolsky and now it is Yampell.

I have been told that Aaron brought the family to Milwaukee because HE had family there. It is thought that we may be related to the Annenberg family and that is why he brought them there. It is also believed that Fanny had Powell family in Philadelphia and that is why she moved 7children to Philadelphia.

So my frustrations lie with finding more information on their families. I do know I have Jampol cousins that came from the Ukraine and then settled in NY as I have extensively been researching that part of the family. It is my guess that they are descended from my great grandfather's brother but that too, I am not sure about either.

Can someone please help me? I tend to do what most researchers do. I work on one part, research until I hit a brick wall and then put it aside for a while and then go back to it. Every three months, I go back and check this part of the family. And each time, I still hit the same brick walls!

Thanks for listening to me ramble!

PS my handle is short for genealogicalgenie!

Have you tried any Web sites that allow to you to post your family tree for free? I have made two great connections that way.

Comment

Genie is great nick!

I am still looking for an e-mail addy for Chernihiv Rabbi. He is prominent in the Eastern Ukrainian Jewish communities, so I would think there has to be one for him.

I am sure you already know that JA = YA sound, when transliterating from Russian to English. Following is not a rule, but it is frequently so: using JA variant shows Polish orientation. ???Jampolsky Family may have originally come from what is Belarus area (Mogilev & Minsk gubernias/regions or Russian Poland (Grodno or Brest gubernias).

There are still Jampolsky residing in Odessa. Have you made contact w/them?

***** 25 .

PS> Today there are still 970+ Jampolsky residing in Ukraine.
      Last edited by Hannia; 12th November 2009, 19:01.

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp

Comment

I know these records are in State Archives of Odessa Oblast.

Odessa
        Kahal/Jewish community
        1873-1919
        1929-1931
        1934-1935

Make sure to thoroughly read following:

http://www.rtrfoundation.org/Odessa.html

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp

Comment

Working...
        X