Ganczarz (Gancarz) and Skiba from Stare Siolo, Galicia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ganczarz (Gancarz) and Skiba from Stare Siolo, Galicia

I have noted several references to the family name “Gancarz”, and wonder if there are connections to my family.

My Grandmother was Eva Ganczarz, born in Stare Siolo, Galicia.
    Different documents I have come across have interpreted her surname to be Gancarz, Ganiare and Gantorz.

Born March 10, 1878, she traveled to Canada aboard the SS Bulgaria, arriving in Halifax, June 5, 1899, and continued by train to Winnipeg. As a travel document, she was issued a Testimony of Baptism certificate by the local Greek Catholic church in Stare Siolo, dated May 12, 1899.

This document identifies her father as Tomas (or Tominko) Ganczarz, and her mother as Anna Jakimicha, daughter of Georgii Jakimicha. Witnesses are shown as Anna and Cassimirus Ganczarz. All parties are of Stare Siolo.

Many of the relatives she traveled with settled in the Dauphin/Sifton area of Manitoba where Ganczarz eventually became Gancher.

In Winnipeg, she married my Grandfather, Georgius Skiba ( Ҧ ), also born in Stare Siolo. He traveled to Canada aboard the SS Arcadia, arriving in Montreal, May 2, 1897, and continued by train to Winnipeg.

His Testimony of Baptism certificate issued Oct 13, 1896, by the same Greek Catholic church in Stare Siolo, shows his date of birth as May 3, 1860. His father is shown as Ioannes (Ivan) Skiba, son of Jacobi Skiba and Eudocia Woroniak, possible daughter of Demetrio Woroniak. His Mother is shown as Catherine Czay, daughter of Josephi Czay and mother Maryae. Witness is shown as Theodorus Skiba. All parties are of either Stare Siolo, Sucha Wola or Lipina.

Their marriage certificate, issued in Winnipeg, confirms the names of their parents.

I also have family links to Petrashko, Tracz (Tpay) and Rudko, all from Galicia who settled in Manitoba.

Any feedback or comments on these people would be much appreciated.

I have been on three expeditions to Stare Selo exploring the Castle- have spoken to many villagers - but no Skiba or Hanchar among them. This name Hanchar exists in Ukraine- it is different from Honchar, but not as popular. Skiba is a very popular name.

Comment

Welcome Larry,

There were two Stare Siolo (Old Village) in Galicia during the Austro-Hungarian Period. I suspect that
      your ancestral village might be the one located in what is Poland today??? The one in Ukraine was
      in the Bobrka powiat during Hapsburg Period. Today it is in Peremyshlyany raion/district.
      _____________________________________________________________________________

From late 18th century to 1919 wies/village Stare Siolo was predominantly a Ruthenian/Ukrainian village
      w/its own Greek Catholic Church. The filial RC Church and the Jewish Kahal were in Oleszyce. Cieszanow
      was the POWIAT (administrative district-county) and Lubaczow was the GMINA (judicial-tax district)>
      Galicia Province, administered by ethnic Poles for the Austro-Hungarian Empire. From 1919 thru WW2,
      the region came under Reconstituted Poland's domain, Technically Poland had not existed as a geopolitical
      entity for the previous 125 yrs. Under Polish domain Lubaczow became the powiat and Lwow was the
      wojiwodstwo/region. Post WW2, Poland was under Communist domain.

Stare Siolo was/is 2.5 miles ENE of Sucha Wola. Lupina/?LIPINA and Sucha Wola abut each other.
      Sucha Wola had its own GC Church. Everything else re govt same as above.

I used Mapquest (M) on Stletlseeker to locate villages above.
      JewishGen ShtetlSeeker – Town Search

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp

Comment

Originally posted by IreneLviv View Post
        I have been on three expeditions to Stare Selo exploring the Castle- have spoken to many villagers - but no Skiba or Hanchar among them. This name Hanchar exists in Ukraine- it is different from Honchar, but not as popular. Skiba is a very popular name.
        Thank you for your response. Just some quick notes.

- My Grandparents were from Stare Siolo, Austrian Empire, circa 1897, now in present day Poland, not from Stare Selo, southeast of L’viv, where the castle is.
        - Does Ganczarz translate to Hanchar ?, something like a ?, or am I way off. My Ukrainian is not very good, but I’m learning.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannia View Post
          Welcome Larry,

There were two Stare Siolo (Old Village) in Galicia during the Austro-Hungarian Period. I suspect that
          your ancestral village might be the one located in what is Poland today??? The one in Ukraine was
          in the Bobrka powiat during Hapsburg Period. Today it is in Peremyshlyany raion/district.
          _____________________________________________________________________________

From late 18th century to 1919 wies/village Stare Siolo was predominantly a Ruthenian/Ukrainian village
          w/its own Greek Catholic Church. The filial RC Church and the Jewish Kahal were in Oleszyce. Cieszanow
          was the POWIAT (administrative district-county) and Lubaczow was the GMINA (judicial-tax district)>
          Galicia Province, administered by ethnic Poles for the Austro-Hungarian Empire. From 1919 thru WW2,
          the region came under Reconstituted Poland's domain, Technically Poland had not existed as a geopolitical
          entity for the previous 125 yrs. Under Polish domain Lubaczow became the powiat and Lwow was the
          wojiwodstwo/region. Post WW2, Poland was under Communist domain.

Stare Siolo was/is 2.5 miles ENE of Sucha Wola. Lupina/?LIPINA and Sucha Wola abut each other.
          Sucha Wola had its own GC Church. Everything else re govt same as above.

I used Mapquest (M) on Stletlseeker to locate villages above.
          JewishGen ShtetlSeeker – Town Search
          Thanks Hanna: Yes, it's the Old Village in today's Poland. I have managed to find these locations on Google Earth.

Comment

Larry,

Have you examined the LDS films of GC Records for Stare Siolo (Poland)?

#2003195 POL Stare Siolo Church records 1857-1928, Oleszyce records 1865-1926
            ______________________________________________________________________

Have you ever used LDS (Mormon Library) for research?

First locate the nearest Family Center below and then order the following films listed by number.
            Cost is nominal and films become available to you for several weeks. If that's not enough time,
            you can always extend the rental.

FamilySearch.org - Family History Centers
            ________________________________________________________________________________________________

Does Ganczarz translate to Hanchar ?, something like a ?
            You are correct, Polish letter grouping RZ is equivalent to letter in Ukranian and Gangarz is .
            Additionally, Skiba is an old interesting surname. It could mean one of two things: MAN, w/MARRIED DAUGHTER,
            WHO LIVES ALONE or FERTILE LAYER OF PLOWED SOIL.

Eva Ganczarz
            Probably called Yevka by family members. Nickname for Eudokia.

possible daughter of Demetrio Woroniak. His Mother is shown as Catherine Czay, daughter of Josephi Czay and mother Maryae. Witness is shown as Theodorus
            Demetrius is polanized version of Dmytro. Catherine Czay = Katerzyna Czay (surname means TEA). Maryae = Marya. Theodorius is polanized version of Teodore (frequent nickname is Fedor or Fedko).
            Last edited by Hannia; 1st April 2009, 05:58.

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp

Comment

Skiba is an old interesting surname

Hi Hanna:

Thanks for the info on LDS film researching. You’re right, this is the next step.

As, to Skiba, I have found on-line Polish translators that interpret it to mean: ridge, chunk or slice.
              In addition, information from some geologic web sites provide the following “technical” descriptions:

The geology of the Carpathian mountain region, “south of Stare Siolo”, contains an overthrust belt (an area where thick rock layers are pushed over one another by compressional forces) of isoclinal folds (when two limbs of a fold lie parallel to each other). The thrust planes are composed of Upper Cretaceous and Paleogene beds of black shales and siliceous sandstones containing an assemblage of foraminifers (marine protozoan) known as the Skole Nappe. The Skole Nappe comprises both Cretaceous and Paleogene flysh (a soft sedimentary rock), and is subdivided into six large overturned slices or faulted folds known as the SKIBA structure units.

So, either my ancestors took their name from, or gave it to, these unique rock structures when they settled in the area.

Any thoughts on the origin of Ganczarz = Gangarz = ? I have been told it may have something to do with “pottery” or a “potter”.

Comment

Skiba, Honchar

In Ukrainian, 'skiba' means a clod (lump) of earth; a glebe; or earth turned up between two furrows. Hanchar is a corruption/variant of 'honchar' - a potter.

Comment

Gancharz/Skiba

In Ukrainian, 'skiba' means a clod (lump) of earch; a glebe; or the earth turned up between two furrows. It can colloquially also mean a slice of bread. Hanchar is a variant/corruption of 'honchar' - a potter.

Comment

Larry.... hello cousin :-)

My family also came from the Gancarz and Jakimicha's from Stare Siolo (Near Oleszyce/Lubaczow). Email me: jyakimic (at) purdue (dot) edu.

We settled in Indiana in the 1910s/1920s and some more from the Gancarz/Jakimicha's are in Freesoil Michigan. Jakimicha became Yakimicki here in the states and remains Jakimicha in what is now Poland. There are still a few Jakimicha's in the Stare Siolo area and some in the far north east of Poland.

I'm extremely interested to find what you know. Our family has always claimed a Ukranian ethnicity and were listed as Ruthenian on all the manifests. This being said, my ggrandfather Mykolaj Jakimicha's baptism info seems to indicate a Roman Catholic baptism.

A guy from Oleszyce has sent me some pictures of the Orthodox church in the area. I will add links here later today.

Comment

Also, I forgot to mention, there is a Helen Gancarz in Michigan who is very interested in Genealogy and has visited the old village a number of times. She is my grandfathers cousin. I have lost contact with her in the last couple years and am attempting to reconnect.

Comment

Tomasz Michalski - Oleszyce

There you will find current photos from Oleszyce, including a number of shots of the abandoned orthodox church. The text mentions that it was used to store fertilizer for some time. :-(

Did Stare Siolo have its own separate orthodox church, or is this the one?

-Joe Yakimicki

Comment

Hi Joe:

My Grandmother, Eva Ganczarz, immigrated to Canada in 1899 and married my Grandfather, Georgius Skiba, in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Both were Ukrainians from Stare Siolo and listed as Ruthenians and Greek Catholic on Winnipeg 1911 Census documents. Her Testimony of Baptism (TOB), written in Latin, was issued by the local Greek Catholic church in Stare Siolo (which I believe later burnt down). On the TOB, her last name is shown as above. Web searches for Ganczarz show about 200 compared to about 100,000 for Gancarz. I’ve wondered if the name was spelled wrong on the TOB, but have found Ganczarz in the village of Rzeszow, 69 km southwest of Stare Siolo.

Other Ganczarz, who traveled with my grandmother to Canada, settled in the farming area of Sifton, Manitoba. They included Anton, Helene, Kaska, Rosalie, Franz and Steph Ganczarz. Here Ganczarz became Gancher.

The TOB and her Winnipeg marriage certificate, show her parents as Tomas (Tomiko) Ganczarz and Anna Jakimicha. The TOB shows Anna’s father as Georgii Jakimicha. I have also found Jakimicha in the village of Makowisko, 18 km from Stare Siolo. (Galizien-Online - Geschichte und Ahnenforschung des ehemaligen Königreichs Galizien, Österreich)

Last week, I visited the first Ukrainian Catholic church (St. Michael’s) built in Canada in October 1899 in Gardenton, Manitoba. It is my understanding that when Ukrainian immigrants from Galicia arrived in the Prairies there were no Greek Catholic churches, so they built their own, and Ukrainian Catholic became a modified version of the original Greek Catholic. The church in Gardenton is very much like the photos of the churches in Oleszyce, except much smaller, and was built by Ukrainians mostly from Bukowyna, West Ukraine. The cemetery contains no Ganczarz or Jakimicha, but I did find a Woroniuk, which are relatives on my Grandfather’s side.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Larry

Comment

Thanks Larry. I have forwarded your message to Helen Gancarz in Michigan. I'm sure she will compare notes and see if a connection can be made.

Have you looked over the LDS films for the area? I am thinking of ordering them again now that I have a few more pieces and my sounding-out of cyrillic is quite a bit quicker than it was last time I had them.

Comment

ganczar

Originally posted by Larry S View Post
                              I have noted several references to the family name “Gancarz”, and wonder if there are connections to my family.

My Grandmother was Eva Ganczarz, born in Stare Siolo, Galicia.
                              Different documents I have come across have interpreted her surname to be Gancarz, Ganiare and Gantorz.

Born March 10, 1878, she traveled to Canada aboard the SS Bulgaria, arriving in Halifax, June 5, 1899, and continued by train to Winnipeg. As a travel document, she was issued a Testimony of Baptism certificate by the local Greek Catholic church in Stare Siolo, dated May 12, 1899.

This document identifies her father as Tomas (or Tominko) Ganczarz, and her mother as Anna Jakimicha, daughter of Georgii Jakimicha. Witnesses are shown as Anna and Cassimirus Ganczarz. All parties are of Stare Siolo.

Many of the relatives she traveled with settled in the Dauphin/Sifton area of Manitoba where Ganczarz eventually became Gancher.

In Winnipeg, she married my Grandfather, Georgius Skiba ( Ҧ ), also born in Stare Siolo. He traveled to Canada aboard the SS Arcadia, arriving in Montreal, May 2, 1897, and continued by train to Winnipeg.

His Testimony of Baptism certificate issued Oct 13, 1896, by the same Greek Catholic church in Stare Siolo, shows his date of birth as May 3, 1860. His father is shown as Ioannes (Ivan) Skiba, son of Jacobi Skiba and Eudocia Woroniak, possible daughter of Demetrio Woroniak. His Mother is shown as Catherine Czay, daughter of Josephi Czay and mother Maryae. Witness is shown as Theodorus Skiba. All parties are of either Stare Siolo, Sucha Wola or Lipina.

Their marriage certificate, issued in Winnipeg, confirms the names of their parents.

I also have family links to Petrashko, Tracz (Tpay) and Rudko, all from Galicia who settled in Manitoba.

Any feedback or comments on these people would be much appreciated.
                              My name is Ron Ganczar, born in Dauphin Manitoba, near Sifton Manitoba.
                              You can email me at rtganczar at yahoo dot com

Comment

Working...
                              X