X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putin

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...97436831_n.jpg
    John 3/16

"A few weeks ago he looked like he was winning, now he looks like he is losing"
    Putin is given Cool Reception at E.U. Headquarters
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/29/wo...er=rss&emc=rss

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp

Comment

I am sure Mr Putin won`t be overly disappointed at not getting dinner and as I have already said as this is old news, it will save me money in my taxation!!!! the EU costs too much anyway so any little saving has to be good!!!
      John 3/16

Comment

You didn't read the article. It might cost you more tomorrow than it did a few weeks ago.

æ, !

Comment

how do you know I didn`t read the article?? Europe is not the great cure for Ukraines problems... neither is Russia.. Ukraine has to resolve its` own problems.
          John 3/16

Comment

I do not disagree w/u, but it is their choice. We do not get to decide for them.
            Last edited by Hannia; 29th January 2014, 05:13.

æ, !

Comment

Hannia we have agreement:-))))) how long has it taken:-))))) Ukraine has a lond and complex history as you of course know, however it needs stability for its` future, this does involve, I believe, accepting the need for both Ukrainian and Russian to be recognised as official languages, my wifes (and I believe mine) grandmother is in her late 80s and speaks and understands only Russian and there are many like her, is it fair to force those to learn a new language? in Donetsk for the football they put signs in the Arabic text just for tourists, why not put all official signs and forms in Ukrainian and Russian? I am sure it will help the unity of East and West Ukraine, as you know Hannia it works in Canada, yes there are of course corruption problems and officials need to be "cleansed" and I am not sure of the best way forward on this, I do believe that violent protests are not a good way forward as it could lead to further corrupt leaders, it must be a peaceful solution, maybe the United Nations could be involved, it certainly needs to be an unbiased organisation so that rules out the EU and Russia:-))
              John 3/16

Comment

Language is tied to national identity. You fail to understand that there is social meaning to language. The Ukrainian language was actively suppressed by the Soviets, who at the same time also starved Ukrainian children to death. Bilingualism is generally viewed as an interim step towards linguistic russification, and rightfully so. Ethnic Ukrainians have experienced this and given the opportunity, they will likely not allow this to happen again. Your wife and her family were at an advantage for the last 70 yrs or so. Most intelligent people know that Ukrainian, Russian and Belarusyn are Eastern Slavic Languages and the learning transition from one language to another is not at all difficult to accomplish. Either they learn Ukrainian or they don't, and if they don't they will be at a disadvantage, but they won't be sent to a Ukrainian gulag if they don't.

No one will force an 80 yr old Grandmother to learn Ukrainian. She will make herself understood. She will still get her pension and have a vote. However when her time is up in this world, her death certificate will likely be in Ukrainian, the official language of the country.

I reiterate, you and I do not get to decide how Ukrainian citizens, notwithstanding their ethnicity, should think or vote.
                =================================================
                =================================================
                I suspect you have not spent very much time in Northern Quebec. LOL
                Last edited by Hannia; 29th January 2014, 15:12.

æ, !

Comment

just because we don`t actually have a say doesn`t mean we don`t have an opinion, and I disagree, language isn`t necessarily tied to national identity, what are your objections to dual language?, and I know that if you were to speak Russian in western Ukraine many would pretend they didn`t understand you even if they do...
                  John 3/16

Comment

Where did you get this info re Western Ukrainians? I have spent more time in the West than in the East, and have heard conversations conducted in both languages at the same time, in both places . An example was my Old Auntie, who passed away a yr ago. She had a neighbor & best friend, who was an ethnic Russian. I was witness to their conversations. One spoke Russian and other spoke Ukrainian. They lived in Lviv and got along, famously. They loved each other.

Watch the live feeds. Some protesters speak Ukrainian and other protesters speak Russian. This is not the issue they are dealing with. All these protestors want is to be able to control their own destiny and see their children grow up in free world. They all want Yanukovcyh and his thieving thugs out.
                    ============================================================
                    Your concern for your wife's family has made you into a one trick pony. Relax, this will all work itself out to everyone's benefit. I embrace that hope and maybe you should as well.

æ, !

Comment

Steven Seagal Praises Putin And FSB Ahead Of Sochi
                      --------------------------------------
                      Five pages debunking Seagal. Very, very funny read.
                      What the Hell Happened to Steven Seagal? | lebeau's le Blog

æ, !

Comment

WHY do you insist Hannia on putting down my concern for my wifes(and mine) family.. and what are you suggesting in place of Yanukovich?? Tymoshenko???? and actually the information came from my wife.... WHY are YOU so against dual language?
                        John 3/16

Comment

Nick,

You are always looking for a fight. You're incapable of having any intelligent exchange. We are both wasting time.
                          Stay well!

æ, !

Comment

by stating I am incapable of having any intelligent exchange is it not you looking for a fight by making such an inflammatory statement??? but then you did say you had come back to rebel rouse!!!!!
                            John 3/16

Comment

You are back to yada - yada - yada. Like I said : Stay well.

æ, !

Comment

Working...
                              X