erosion of human rights in Ukraine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nick,

Do you know that overuse of ellipsis points (those dot-dot-dot's) when posting, suggests faltering thought, accompanied by confusion, insecurity, distress, and uncertainty?

EOM

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp

Comment

Is that your response?????? that suggests you really aren`t sure of what you are saying???? my thoughts are not faltering, confused, insecure, distressed, or indeed uncertain!!!!! perhaps this describes your position rather than mine... and once again no response to my dual language suggestion... can I ask why????
      John 3/16

Comment

Nick,

There is nothing murky about my answer.

Ukraine is a multi-ethnic country, where everyone can speak whatever language they like, but the official language of the land should be Ukrainian, the language of the majority.
        ______________________________________________________________________________________
        You keep referring to a 30% minority, who refuses any status reversal of the Russian language from a dominant to a minority position. This is misleading. 16% of native Russian speakers in Ukraine have already learned Ukrainian and are fluent in the language, leaving you w/ less than 14% that refuse to learn Ukrainian.

There are also psychological factors that you prefer to ignore as well. These have a great importance , because the Ukrainian language is a national symbol of Ukrainians as an ethnic group. The Ukrainian language is also directly connected w/certain social and political attitudes. Ukrainian citizens who speak Ukrainian feel more integrated and connected to Ukraine and are less inclined to embrace the Russian Federation as Ukraine's big brother, who will not or does not violate their civil rights.
        ______________________________________________________________________________________

In the last 18 yrs I have spent a great deal of time in both Western and Eastern Ukraine. I have yet to meet a native Ukrainian speaker, who cannot speak Russian. Why are the less than 14% so reluctant to learn Ukrainian?

Again, I do not advocate forbidding Russian as a spoken language, but I do not think it is to Ukraine's benefit to grant the Russian language anything more than minority status.

THE RUSSIAN LANGUAGE SHOULD HAVE NO OFFICIAL STATUS IN INDEPENDENT UKRAINE.
        Last edited by Hannia; 23rd August 2010, 15:54.

æ, !

Comment

Why are you SO against the Russian language... I have not advocated the abolition of Ukrainian and fully accept that it is the official language... however I do not accept a language that pretty much every Ukrainian speaks fluently should be mothballed... as for your statement saying you have yet to meet a Ukrainian that can`t speak Russian and less than 14% willing to learn Ukrainian... think about why Ukrainians speak Russian... they haven`t had to learn a completely new language as Russian was, formerly, their native tongue... for Russian speaking Ukrainians to learn Ukrainian may be very tough as it may be years since they have been in a learning environment and to learn a new language very similar to their own would be a huge commitment and for many beyond their means educationally, financially, and also timewise.
          John 3/16

Comment

....think about why Ukrainians speak Russian... they haven`t had to learn a completely new language as Russian was, formerly, their native tongue...
            What do you mean by 'formerly their native tongue'??
            Many young people in Lviv no more speak Russian since it has never been their native tongue, and then they no more study it at school or use in everyday life.
            The Ukrainian language is but the only 'atttibute' of Ukraine surviving and cementing the nation. After all these years of suppression it needs preferential conditions for its development, otherwise it will be overshadowed, overwhelmed and finally annihilated by Russian

Comment

Hi Irene,
              Just reading Kyiv post and there is now concern that the police are slowly getting out of control. What can possibly be next? I am beginning to fear for family! Do things in Western Ukraine seem to be o.k right now or is this Yanukonvict disease spreading?
              Last edited by sjoyce; 9th September 2010, 22:24. Reason: spelling error

Comment

This plaque is spreading all over..

Comment

Originally posted by Hannia View Post
                  Irene,

Nick, a Brit, is referring to his non-Ukrainian speaking mail order in-laws.

............................. is this one of the posts you were refering to Hannia?

I'm trying to find the post from Nick that provoked an attack on his family.

As for the language issues in Ukraine, maybe a page from Canadian history could be used.

Slava Ukraini

Comment

Only interested in their beloved football

Originally posted by sjoyce View Post
                    With Mr Yanukovic eroding human rights in Ukraine, why would anyone be foolish enough to travel there for the 2012 Soccer championships?
                    I cannot imagine why you believe that the kind of guy who will part with a significant amount of his earnings to traverse Europe to watch a football (Soccer to you guys across the pond) match would know or care little about the political situation in that country. If these guys had any consideration for the fairness of society they would not participate so willingly in a "sporting enterprise" that exploits their patronage, giving rise to the top football stars earning umpteen times more than say a brain surgeon. Apart from them being there to watch their team win the match, the second most important thing on their agenda will be the price of the beer!

Comment

Dmytro Grosyman on YouTube

Unfortunately I cannot understand what is being said but Russian speakers (it sounds more Russian than Ukrainiian to me) but some of you may find it interesting.

YouTube - Dmytro Groysman press-conference 18/10/2010

Comment

EU Warning to Ukraine

An article by The Financial Times Limited 2011 concerning Ukraine's future democracy:-

EU warns Ukraine over democratic ‘values’
                        By Roman Olearchyk in Kiev

Published: January 11 2011 17:22 | Last updated: January 11 2011 17:22

Stefan Fuele, the European Union’s enlargement commissioner, warned Ukraine’s leadership on Tuesday that closer integration with Brussels hangs on adherence to core EU principles of democracy and media freedoms.

Wrapping up a two-day visit to Kiev that included meetings with Viktor Yanukovich the president, journalists and human rights activists, Mr Fuele said Brussels shares concerns expressed by the US that Ukraine’s political opposition was being persecuted while media freedoms were being curtailed.

Mr Fuele was asked during a press conference in Kiev if the EU shared concerns about political persecution that was expressed late in December in a statement issued by the US. He said: “I certainly share the impression” and concerns that were raised by the US and “raised this issue in discussions, including with Ukraine’s president.”

Mr Fuele added: “I do not want to speculate at this time on repercussions” that could follow should Ukraine stray away from democracy.

Mr Fuele’s comments came two weeks after the US issued a sharp warning to Ukraine’s leadership, expressing concerns that a flurry of arrests and probes “selectively” targeting opposition politicians appeared to be “politically motivated.”

The December 30 US statement followed arrests that appear to target exclusively allies of Yulia Tymoshenko, the opposition leader. Ukrainian prosecutors formally charged Ms Tymoshenko late last year with misspending $300m in state funds while serving as premier in 2009.

Ms Tymoshenko, who lost last year’s presidential election to Mr Yanukovich, denies wrongdoing and insists that the charges against her are intended to divert attention from corrupt dealings of Ukraine’s current leadership. Two Ukrainian human rights organisations came to her defence late last year, urging Mr Yanukovich to end political persecution.

Opposition leaders accuse Mr Yanukovich of monopolising power, persecuting foes and reneging on democratic and media freedom gains made since the 2004 Orange Revolution. Opponents also accuse the Moscow-friendly Ukrainian president of bringing Kiev back into Russia’s fold.

But Mr Yanukovich has repeatedly denied such allegations. His administration describes the investigations as legitimate attempts to combat corruption. Mr Yanukovich also claims to be working hard to revive relations with Russia while keeping Kiev on a path towards EU membership and reforming Ukraine’s fragile economy.

Insiders said journalists gave Mr Fuele evidence that the media have been muzzled under Mr Yanukovich and that allegations of corruption involving presidential allies are not being investigated.

Referring to such allegations, Mr Fuele said: “In the 21st century, democratic government cannot exist without an independent judicial system and media. This is a question of moral leadership.”

While meeting members of the foreign investment community in Ukraine, Mr Fuele also heard complaints about rampant corruption and bureaucracy. During a press conference, he urged Ukraine to improve its investment climate.

Comment

Continued concern over Ukraine's HR

Ukraine Activists Protest Planned Closure Of Ministry Human Rights Section

The latest report concerning the closure of the Interior Ministry's department for monitoring human rights, RFE/RL's Ukrainian Service reports:- Ukraine Activists Protest Planned Closure Of Ministry Human Rights Section - Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty 2011

Comment

UN report on Human Rights in Ukraine

Although there is very little in this comprehensive report by the United Nations High Commissioner's report on the latest Human Rights in Ukraine situation, that is new information for those of us who follow recent occurrences in Ukraine, for many elite global politicians it will become a source of reference. After all most senior politicians live within their own bubble of existence whose only contact with the real world is based on reports, rather than through personal knowledge or experience:-

http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Count...t15May2014.pdf

Comment

Russian Duma puts Russian law above rulings of intl human rights courts
                              04.12.2015 | UNIAN

MPs have expanded the law on the right of the Constitutional Court to annul rulings of the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) to all international bodies for the protection of human rights. Now, Russia will be able to ignore the rulings of the UN Human Rights Committee.

The Constitutional Committee of the State Duma recommended the adoption in the second reading of a bill on the priority of the Constitutional Court’s rulings over those of the ECHR, says RBC news agency.

Under the bill, submitted in November by a group of deputies from all Duma factions headed by Vladimir Pligin, the CC may, at the request of the President and Government, rule on non-compliance with the verdicts of international judicial bodies for protection of human rights.

MPs are considering a bill in top gear, as it was only submitted on November 18 and adopted in first reading as early as on December 1. Less than a day was given for drafting the amendments. While considering amendments at the committee meeting on Wednesday, opposition MP Dmitry Gudkov asked, what was the rush with the bill. Committee chairman Vladimir Pligin said that the document was "sufficiently mature."

The CC may also be granted the right to examine provisions of international conventions for compliance with Russian law, partner of Intellectual Capital law firm Roman Sklyar suggests.
                              Russian Duma puts Russian law above rulings of intl human rights courts : UNIAN news

æ, !

Comment

Working...
                              X