X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Auschwitz prisoner teaches separatist a good lesson
    EUROMAIDAN PRESS Obozrevatel 2017/09/13 - 20:44

http://euromaidanpress.com/wp-conten.../09/459810.jpg

Ihor Fedorovich Malitsky is a former prisoner of Auschwitz concentration camps. Today, he is Head of the Kharkiv Regional Council of Anti-Fascist Resistance that brings together former prisoners of Nazi concentration camps. He takes an active part in educating young people. He also works as a professor at the Ukrainian Engineering and Pedagogical Academy. Mr. Malitsky mastered the computer when he was 80 years old, and now he is developing his own educational manuals.

Former prisoner of Auschwitz concentration camp, 92-year-old professor at the Ukrainian Engineering and Pedagogical Academy Ihor Malitsky recently rebuked a separatist who insulted Ukraine and Ukrainians in a Kharkiv café.

“Today, I went to the local market to buy some cucumbers for pickling. Then, I decided to have a beer in a nearby café. I sit down and see a man somewhat “under the weather” hanging around nearby and muttering something about serving as an officer.

Then he comes up to me, probably looking for support and a friendly ear… and announces loudly:

“Ukraine’s not a country, and Ukrainians are just ****! Putin’s gonna beat you all. Putin’s a great man, and so on and so on.

You know, if I’d had a pellet gun, I’d have pumped him full of holes! That’s what I’d have done!”

Malitsky then picked up his mobile and said loudly:

“Comrade Colonel, send over some guys to such-and-such an address. There’s a Putin lover here who needs to have his ass kicked. You can take him to the border and dump him there. Let him kiss his idol’s butt… It’s about a three minutes’ walk… OK, I’ll be waiting.

You should’ve seen him jump up and run! He missed the door and slammed into the wall, got up and ran off as fast as he could. The waitress split her sides laughing, and another man nearby smiled widely. I turned to him and said:

“Hey there, if someone abused your wife or mother, would you keep quiet?”

“No.” he replied, “Let me walk you home so he doesn’t bother you again.”

"Thanks a lot, but I can take care of myself.”

http://i2.wp.com/euromaidanpress.com...size=960%2C750

Translated by: Christine Chraibi
    Source: Obozrevatel

Former Auschwitz prisoner teaches separatist a good lesson -Euromaidan Press |

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp

Comment

• Kyiv honors memory of 34,000 killed in first days of Holocaust in Babi Yar
      EUROMAIDAN PRESS Alya Shandra 2017/10/02 - 03:16

http://euromaidanpress.com/wp-conten.../2017/10/3.jpg
      At the procession on 1 October 2017. Photo: Alya Shandra

The first mass executions of the Holocaust started in Kyiv on 29 September 1941, 10 days after it was occupied by the Nazis. First, the patients of the psychiatric hospital were shot, then the Romani, Jews, Ukrainian nationalists, and other groups. During the first days, over 34,000 Kyivan Jews were brutally murdered in a ravine on the outskirts of the city. The executions continued until the city was liberated from Nazis. Altogether, 120,000 people were executed in a ravine which is now hidden under a street and a park which was literally built on bones.

On 1 October 2017, an event to honor their memory took place in the Podil part of the city, where many Jews lived and from where they went on their final death journey. Participants of the Jewish and Roma communities, the righteous and witnesses of Babi Yar, Kyiv schoolchildren and authorities took part in a procession organized by the International Community of Sant’Egidio, a Christian organization focusing on serving the needy. Among the participants were delegates to the 5th International Congress “Youth of Europe for a world without violence,” which took part in Krakow-Auschwitz in September 2017.

http://i2.wp.com/euromaidanpress.com...ize=1040%2C750

“Babi Yar is not a distant story, not a ‘stranger,’ only Jewish tragedy, this is a part of the history of our city, our history,” the organizers wrote in the description of the event, hinting at the fact that Ukraine has yet to start digesting the extent of the tragedy of the Holocaust. 1.5 mn Jews were killed on the territory of Ukraine during World War II, with most being shot in mass executions outdoors, like in Babi Yar. During the Soviet times that followed, the reality of the Holocaust was swept under the rug, as Jews were branded as anti-Soviet “cosmopolites.” Neither was it addressed in the years of Ukraine’s independence: discussions about a Holocaust memorial at Babi Yar are only taking place now. This is a shame, as there are few living witnesses of the events left. This is also absurd: over 100 memorials to the Holocaust in Babi Yar exist around the world, but not a single one in Babi Yar itself.

Discussions about such a memorial are especially timely now, as Head of the Kyiv Sant’Egidio Community Yuriy Lifanse said at the commemoration: the tragedy of Babi Yar happened because of the war, and demons of hatred come to live at time of war. This is especially important for Ukraine now, as its undeclared war with Russia drags into the fourth year, bringing all the bitterness and callousness that a war can bring with it.

Right now, activities to establish a Holocaust memorial in Babi Yar are being undertaken by the Babi Yar Holocaust Memorial Center, which on 29 September held a memory march titled “History matters” at Babi Yar.

On September 29, 2017, upon an initiative of the Babi Yar Holocaust Memorial Center, a memory march, entitled "History matters", was held in honor of the 76th anniversary of the Babi Yar tragedy.

You can find out more about Babi Yar in the video they created:
      https://www.facebook.com/babiyar.mem...0304208067223/
      ===========================================
      Kyiv honors memory of 34,000 killed in first days of Holocaust in Babi Yar -Euromaidan Press |

æ, !

Comment

• Ukraine celebrating Defender Day (Video) Today, October 14, is the Day of Ukraine's Defender.
        UNIAN VIDEO 14 October 2017

https://images.unian.net/photos/2017...07710-7568.jpg

The national holiday was set by decree of President Petro Poroshenko of October 14, 2014.

The choice of the date for the holiday was predetermined by the historical tradition of honoring the Ukrainian troops for the Christian holiday of Protection of Virgin Mary. October 14 is also the date of the establishment of UPA [Ukrainian Insurgent Army] and the Day of Ukrainian Cossacks.

Today the Ukrainian army amounts to 250,000 people. Some 26,000 contracts on military service have been concluded from the beginning of 2017. Over 20,000 women serve in the Ukrainian army. This is 8.5% of the total number of servicemen of the Armed Forces of Ukraine.

This autumn, 10,500 young men will be recruited into the army. In 2017, Ukraine's army entered the top 30 best armies in the world.

https://www.unian.info/society/21882...day-video.html

æ, !

Comment

• Kyiv Bans Russian Banknote Featuring Crimean Images
          RADIO FREE EUROPE October 14, 2017 15:12 GMT

Ukraine has banned a new Russian banknote that includes images from the annexed Ukrainian region of Crimea.

The National Bank of Ukraine announced on October 13 that the new Russian 200 ruble ($3.50) bill showing a memorial in Sevastopol, a ruin in Chersonesus, and a map of Crimea would be illegal in Ukraine beginning on October 17. Banks and exchanges will not accept them.

The bank's statement said the ban covers any Russian currencies depicting "maps, symbols, buildings, monuments" or other objects "based in Ukrainian territories occupied by Russia."

Russia presented the new banknote on October 12.

Ukraine and Russia have been locked in a standoff since Russia illegally annexed Crimea in 2014 and began offering military, economic, and political support to separatists in parts of eastern Ukraine.

Although Russia denies military involvement in the conflict, the International Criminal Court (ICC) in November 2016 determined the conflict to be "an international armed conflict between Ukraine and the Russian Federation."

More than 10,000 people have been killed, at least 23,900 have been injured, and some 1.6 million people have been displaced by the conflict in eastern Ukraine since the spring of 2014.
          https://www.rferl.org/a/kyiv-bans-ru.../28794716.html

æ, !

Comment

• Excavations in Ternopil Oblast reveal mass grave of OUN members executed by Gestapo
            EUROMAIDAN PRESS 2017/10/11 - 22:26

Employees of the memorial research association “Dolya” (Lviv Regional Council) and researchers of “Patriot” Historical Society, working in an archeological dig in Yahilnytsia, Chortkiv Raion, Ternopil Oblast, have discovered a mass grave of OUN* members and sympathizers (Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists) who were executed by the Gestapo on November 27, 1942.

http://i2.wp.com/euromaidanpress.com...size=902%2C600

Volodymyr Kharchuk, deputy director of “Dolya” stated that no one knew the exact place of the grave, but villagers and researchers joined in the search and excavations started on October 3. The next day, workers exhumed 33 human remains.

“According to our information, there should be 52 people buried here.” said Volodymyr Kharchuk.

http://i1.wp.com/euromaidanpress.com...size=902%2C600

Workers have found religious medallions with inscriptions in Church Slavonic, the remains of prayer books, as well as buttons, cartridges, combs, footwear, etc.

http://i2.wp.com/euromaidanpress.com...size=883%2C600

http://i1.wp.com/euromaidanpress.com...size=902%2C600

Roman Pasholyuk, director of the Oleksandr Barvinsky Chortkiv Humanitarian and Pedagogical College has been instrumental in providing assistance and information about this forgotten site.

“Ideya i Chyn”, Chronicle of the UPA** (Ukrainian Insurgent Army), Vol. 24, pp. 83, 88-89, gives eyewitness accounts of the execution of 52 Ukrainian political prisoners murdered in a field near Chortkiv-Yahilnytsia (Western Ukraine) on November 27, 1942. A prisoner who returned from Chortkiv prison and was present during the preparation for the execution gave the following story (recorded in “Ideya i Chyn, 88 No.2, p. 9):

At 11 a.m. on November 24, Savchynsky, a Polish clerk from the village of Kalynivka, came up to us and announced that ten men were to get ready for important work.

Fifteen persons volunteered for the job. We had a quick lunch in the corridor, jumped into a lorry that carried us to the work location (Chortkiv-Yahilnytsia route).

We arrived in the courtyard of a former Polish gunpowder tower and were ordered to dig a large hole about 250 meters from the building. The hole was six meters long, three meters wide and four meters deep.

We were placed under the watchful eye of the Chortkiv Gestapo. The political prisoners knew about the execution plans, but believed that it was intended for the local Jews.

At 11 a.m. on November 27, five Gestapo officers appeared in the prison yard. They took the prisoners from the second floor, put them in a covered vehicle, and drove them to the place of execution. The covered vehicle went first, followed by the Gestapo.

At 13:30, they returned for the rest of the prisoners. Before the prisoners mounted into the vehicle, they were ordered to take off all their warm clothes – coats, jackets, hats, scarves – and leave them near the prison wall. Only the priest was allowed to keep his coat.

Some prisoners maintained a proud countenance and spat out some words at their captors (due to the noise of the engine, I couldn’t make out what they were saying). Others seemed quite dull and lifeless. Soon the vehicle returned and boots and clothes belonging to the prisoners were unloaded.

Then, we were ordered into the lorry, taken to the execution place and told to fill up the hole. The hole was already partially filled, but we caught a glimpse of a bloody skull in one corner. I also saw some letters, overshoes and a blue “mazepynka” (cap worn by the Ukrainian Riflemen as of 1916). When one of the prisoners began picking up these objects, the German guard ordered him to throw everything into the pit and bury it. We covered the area with soil, large stones and bomb fragments, and placed huge tires on top. We also found four 6.35 machine gun cartridges in the vicinity of the pit.

Another eyewitness reports that the Germans blocked the road 1½ kilometers from the place of execution and turned away all traffic and passersby.

However, the eyewitness told the guards he was on an important government mission, and was allowed to pass; about 50 meters from the place of execution, he was stopped by the Gestapo and told to go back. However, he observed a covered vehicle drawing up close to the pit and a group of men dismounting. All the prisoners were barefoot and dressed in light shirts. Then, another vehicle pulled up near the men, and a machine gun started firing in their direction. The eyewitness remembers seeing some of the men fall directly into the pit, while others dropped on the fresh snow. Then, there was silence… no noise, no cries, only the sound of shots as the Gestapo finished them off.

NAMES OF THOSE WHO PERISHED ON THE FIELD OF GLORY:

German occupying troops executed the following Ukrainians, members and non-members of OUN in a field near Chortkiv-Yahilnytsia on November 27 [1942]:

1. Father Pavlo Vytvytsky – priest
            2. Stepan Satursky – village official
            3. Vasyl Melnychuk – lawyer
            4. Roman Selsky – engineer
            5. Mykola Soruk
            6. Volodymyr Sodoruk
            7. Yura Slyvka
            8. Bohdan Magera – teacher
            9. Dr. Oleksa Kossak – lawyer
            10. Bohdan Litsovsky
            11. Volodymyr Tykhovych – student
            12. Stepan Tulivsky
            13. Mykhailo Parasyuk
            14. Dmytro Hryhorovych – teacher
            15. Volodymyr Levytsky
            16. Vasyl Yurakh – village official
            17. Stakh Zakshevsky – teacher
            18. Petro Kushniryk – farmer
            19. Ivan Myshkiv
            20. Mykhailo Stanyslaviv – director of a publishing house
            21. Mykhailo Kopach – typesetter
            22. Mykhailo Khodorivsky – typesetter
            23. Ivan Pryshliuha – typesetter
            24. Taras Bidovanets – merchant
            25. Mykhailo Pechersky – village secretary
            26. Osyp Revutsky – farmer
            27. Mykola Revutsky – teacher
            28. Mykola Terletsky – farmer
            29. Ivan Babak – shopkeeper
            30. Petro Zmyslovy – farmer
            31. Ivan Kobeletsky – farmer
            32. Mykola Hamarovsky – farmer
            33. Mykhailo Patyk – farmer
            34. Osyp Melnykovych – village official
            35. Mykhailo Melnykovych – farmer
            36. Mykhailo Siletsky – farmer
            37. Mykola Zhovnirchuk – farmer
            38. Osyp Chaika – village official
            39. Osyp Nemerivsky – farmer
            40. Vasyl Magur – farmer
            41. Ivan Borys – farmer
            42. Ivan Vasyshak – merchant
            43. Ilko Harhas – shopkeeper
            44. Mykhailo Shopt – farmer
            45. Mykhailo Burko – farmer
            46. Petro Soroka – village secretary
            47. Stepan Borys – village official
            48. Stepan Nomerivsky – farmer
            49. Yuriy Panchyshyn – clerk
            50. Hirnyak – worker
            51. Volodymyr Mudry – village official
            52. Vasyl Petel – engineer

*OUN (Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists) was a political organization created in 1929 by Yevhen Konovalets and other leaders, operating mostly in Western Ukraine. OUN members sought to infiltrate political parties, universities and other political structures and institutions. OUN’s strategy to achieve Ukrainian independence included guerilla warfare and attacks against foreign and domestic enemies, particularly Poland and Russia. OUN’s goals were to protect the Ukrainian population from repression, drive out the occupying powers, and set up a government representing all regions and Ukrainian social groups.

**UPA (Ukrainian Insurgent Army) was a nationalist partisan formation that engaged in a series of guerrilla conflicts during WW2 against Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, and Poland. The insurgent army arose out of separate militant formations of the OUN, other militant national-patriotic formations, and mobilization of local population. The political leadership belonged to the Stepan Bandera faction. Stepan Bandera (1909-1959) was murdered in Munich by KGB assassin Bohdan Stashynsky, who acted on the orders of Soviet KGB head Aleksandr Shelepin and Soviet premier Nikita Khrushchev.
            Excavations in Ternopil Oblast reveal mass grave of OUN members executed by Gestapo -Euromaidan Press |
            Source: Chortkiv.online
            Source: Dolya.lviv

æ, !

Comment

• Star dedicated to slain Euromaidan protesters unveiled near Council of Europe
              EUROMAIDAN PRESS Alya Shandra 2017/10/12 - 03:27

http://euromaidanpress.com/wp-conten.../10/star5.jpeg

On 11 October, a star commemorating the Heroes of the Heaven’s Hundred, the Euromaidan activists killed during protests in 2013-2014, was unveiled on the alley of stars in Strasbourg near the Council of Europe.

President Poroshenko was present at the unveiling. “This is a star to the heroes of the Revolution of Dignity, which paid for our right to build a country based on European standards. Opening today this star to the Heroes of the Heavens Hundred, we honor their contribution to Ukrainian history and the history of Europe,” Poroshenko said.

http://i2.wp.com/euromaidanpress.com...size=640%2C360

According to the head of the Ukrainian delegation to PACE Volodymyr Ariev, funds for the star were gathered by the local Ukrainian community and the delegation itself.

“Heaven’s Hundred” refers to the 100+ protesters who were killed during the Euromaidan revolution, most being shot dead by the riot police.

http://i1.wp.com/euromaidanpress.com...size=539%2C507
              The inscription on the star says:

“In tribute to the Heaven’s Hundred and to all the citizens who demonstrated for Europe and its values during the Euromaidan in Ukraine.

‘Truth, freedom, and glory are at your side.’ Taras Shevchenko, poet and humanist.”

Star dedicated to slain Euromaidan protesters unveiled near Council of Europe -Euromaidan Press |

æ, !

Comment

• Volunteer Mariya Berlinska’s outraged cry: “And when they come for us…
                EUROMAIDAN PRESS Censor.Net. Mariya Berlinska 2017/11/03 - 16:10

http://euromaidanpress.com/wp-conten...atureAmina.jpg
                Amina Okueva

The recent assassination of Chechen sniper Amina Okueva in Kyiv is proof that Ukrainian volunteers are in danger, and the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) cannot provide them with security or guarantees, claims Mariya Berlinska, head of the volunteer organization – Centre for the Support of Aerial Reconnaissance, and aerial reconnaissance specialist in the war zone (ATO).

… Everything’s very clear… we all know what really happened. (On June 1, 2017, Amina Okueva and her husband, Adam Osmayev, narrowly escaped death when Osmayev was shot by a man who identified himself as a journalist of the French newspaper Le Monde in Kyiv. The attacker had a Ukrainian passport in the name of Oleksandr Dakar, but was later identified by journalists as Artur Denisultanov-Kurmakaev, a Chechen-born Russian citizen and notorious St. Petersburg gangster who was linked to Kremlin-backed Chechen President Ramzan Kadyrov. The assassination attempt did not succeed, and the attacker was shot and killed by Okueva-Ed) Everyone knew they’d plan another attack… Our special services are a sad pot-pourri of the worst Soviet-KGB traditions, an infiltrated network of Russian agents and simplistic security measures.

Ukrainian special services will now start telling us sad stories and try to put the blame on someone else… Why? Because they’re too busy wheeling and dealing and pressuring political opponents. They didn’t care about Amina. The officers of the State Defense Department chauffeur Heletey’s children to school (Valeriy Heletey is a Ukrainian Colonel General who served as Minister of Defense from July 3 to October 14, 2014, currently head of the State Guard of Ukraine -Ed), stand guard over his lavish birthday celebration, and enforce extreme security measures around the wedding of the prosecutor’s son (reference to general prosecutor Yuriy Lutsenko and his son’s wedding on September 15, 2017-Ed).

We must understand two things:

ONE…The war’s not only in the Donbas. The war’s on the whole territory of Ukraine. Any one of us can be kidnapped, tortured, killed or abducted anytime and anywhere. Russian special services are hard at work; they’re professionals and plan their operations rigorously… sometimes from within our own special services. If you’re an activist or a volunteer, a person who publicly talks about Russian agents, corruption, political manipulation, announces names and facts, if you really start bothering them, you may as well be living your life as a “suicide bomber”.

It really doesn’t matter where or when they come for us – whether they’re strangers or “one of our own” – but they will!

We all know that sooner or later they’ll come…

http://i1.wp.com/euromaidanpress.com...size=800%2C476
                Reference to the famous text written by Martin Niemoller (1892–1984), a prominent Protestant pastor who emerged as an outspoken public foe of Adolf Hitler and spent the last seven years of Nazi rule in concentration camps.

TWO… No one will protect us. In a country where soldiers die every day, our death will hit the headlines for about half a day. Our politicians are focused on retaining or gaining power, and getting as much money as they can from the state. Special services linger like little lap dogs all around them, from time to time snatching a small bone from the political table. No one cares or gives a damn about us. If you’re a public figure, important or not, and something happens to you, they’ll just jump at the chance to blow their own horn, so they’ll write a sad post and a tearful tweet, like your picture on social networks, and that’s about it!

Seeing what happened with Amina and Adam, I demand that two actions be immediately implementsd by the heads of our law enforcement agencies, namely Hrytsak (Vasyl Hrytsak, head of the Security Service of Ukraine-Ed), Avakov (Arsen Avakov, Minister of Internal Affairs-Ed), Poltorak (Stepan Poltorak, Minister of Defence-Ed), Heletey and Lutsenko.

1. Transparency of investigation. We demand absolute transparency, and not your press secretaries throwing dust in our eyes. Who ordered the killing? Who executed it? A public hearing must be held. Who, among all the representatives of Ukrainian special services, will answer for this “F*** up”?

2. You’re not willing or not able to protect us… that’s all very clear now. I demand that weapons be handed out to activists and volunteers who might be threatened by Putin’s agents here in Ukraine. First, to those who’ve already been threatened. So that we can protect ourselves… I support the legalization of firearms, but we’ll all be dead and gone by the time and if this happens. All of you have weapons, and you hand them out to your relatives, cronies, drivers, prosecutors and judges. In a country where there are more and more terrorist acts, civilian activists must be prepared for everything and anything. If you’re threatened, you can only rely on yourself.

The Russian Trail: List of murders and assassination attempts allegedly committed by Russian special services in Ukraine

By an explosive device:
                1. Ihor Mosiychuk, Deputy of Ukraine, wounded in Kyiv on October 25, 2017, two people killed
                2. Timur Makhawri, native of Chechnya, Kadyrov’s personal enemy, assassinated in Kyiv on September 8, 2017
                3. Yuriy Vozny, colonel, SBU counterintelligence officer, assassinated in the village of Illinivka, Konstantynivsky Raion, Donetsk Oblast on June 28, 2017
                4. Maksym Shapoval, Head of Intelligence and Special Operations, assassinated in Kyiv on June 27, 2017
                5.Oleksandr Kharaberyush, Colonel of SBU Counterintelligence, assassinated in Mariupol on March 31, 2017
                6. Pavlo Sheremet, Belarusian-Russian-Ukrainian journalist, assassinated in Kyiv on July 7, 2017

By a firearm:
                7.Adam Osmayev, Amina Okueva, Chechen volunteer. Okueva was killed in Kyiv on October 30, 2017
                8. Adam Osmayev, Amina Okueva, Chechen volunteers. Osmayev and the attacker were wounded, in Kyiv on June 1, 2017
                9. Denis Voronenkov, Russian politician, ex-deputy of Russian State Duma, killed in Kyiv on March 23, 2017
                10. Yevhen Sukhoveyev, former gunner, seriously wounded in Kharkiv on May 10, 2016
                11. Ivan Mamchur, former commander of special forces of the Main Directorate of Intelligence, Major in the Internal Service of Rivne prison, killed in Rivne on September 16, 2016

By a grenade:
                12. Family of paratrooper Valeriy Chybinyev and his friend wounded and hospitalized in Kyiv on August 24, 2014
                13. Andriy Parubiy, First Deputy Chairman of the Verkhovna Rada in Kyiv on 24 December, 2014; one policeman wounded

Other:
                14. Illya Bogdanov, ex-officer of FSB border troops, but joined the Ukrainian Army. Abducted in Kyiv on November 12, 2016, and freed by SBU specialops forces near Russian border
                15. Vitaliy Rehor, OUN activist, war volunteer, attacked and suffered knife wounds, in Kyiv on September 5, 2016

Source: Censor.net
                Source: Gazeta.ua

Volunteer Mariya Berlinska’s outraged cry: “And when they come for us… -Euromaidan Press |

æ, !

Comment

• 134 bodies of NKVD victims unearthed in Ivano-Frankivsk
                  EUROMAIDAN PRESS Ukrayinska Pravda 2017/11/08 - 20:52

On Thursday, November 2, a press conference was held at the Ivano-Frankivsk Regional State Administration on the final excavation of human remains on Lenkavsky Street, not far from the city’s central lake. Specialists of the municipal enterprise “Pamyat” (Memory) discovered and exhumed 134 bodies, as well as many personal belongings.

In the summer of 2017, while laying cables along the street, engineers stumbled upon several human remains. Pamyat employees immediately began excavations and research.

According to director Vasyl Tymkiv they soon realized that they had stumbled upon a mass grave.

“First, we dug and cleared a 10.5 metre trench. We found many skeletons that had had their skull smashed once, twice, even three times. Others had bullet holes. Later, we extended the dig and excavated two more trenches.”

http://i1.wp.com/euromaidanpress.com...size=600%2C548
                  Tymkiv is convinced that these burial grounds date back to 1939, as newly-introduced Polish and Soviet coins were found among personal belongings. The diggers also found lots of crosses and medallions.

“We found a cross containing relics, and on the other side was the word – Rome. So, it may have belonged to a priest. We also dug up a medallion with an inscription – member of the brotherhood of sobriety. There were many of those at the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church before the war, and they included quite a few OUN members. We also came across shoes, glasses, false teeth, toothbrushes, decorations, and combs. This shows that the victims were urban residents.”

http://i1.wp.com/euromaidanpress.com...size=600%2C450

Doctor and forensic expert Omelyan Levytsky studied the remains for well over a month. It’s his 83rd excavation. He also helped with excavation research in Demyaniv Laz. (a mass burial site of victims of Soviet killings committed in the wake of the Nazi takeover of Stanislaviv (modern Ivano-Frankivsk) in 1941. At least 524 local Polish and Ukrainian captives (including 150 women with dozens of children) were shot by the NKVD and buried in several mass graves dug by the prisoners themselves in a small gorge outside of the city-Ed)

“Since then, we’ve added the names of 3,156 people to our historical records. They were buried like dogs without prayer.” says Levytsky “They will now be properly buried. During my examination of the remains on Lenkavsky Street, I discovered that there were two children aged 8-16 among the dead.”

The expert explained that the NKVD had a special execution scheme for each region. At Demyaniv Laz, they were executed mainly by a bullet to the head, but here most victims died of sharp blows carried out with dull objects, for example, rifle butts.

http://i0.wp.com/euromaidanpress.com...size=600%2C398

“70 skeletons had crushed skulls.” says Levytsky “I saw many fractures of the jaw and ribs. It seems that they didn’t want the shots to be heard and preferred to beat the victims to death. I found the skull of an older woman – she must have been about 80 years old – with three bullet holes. Another elderly woman had two broken vertebrae; she’d been hit very hard on the neck. Many skulls had two bullet holes, in and out, confirming the fact that the person had been shot through the lower jaw. I saw 16 bodies with such wounds. This was the very first time I’d witnessed such a thing…”

http://i0.wp.com/euromaidanpress.com...size=600%2C450

The expert says that the Nazis simply executed people with their machine guns, but in this case, people were tortured; it’s definitely not the work of Nazi Germans, but of the NKVD. In addition, shells from Soviet weapons were found at the excavation site.

http://i2.wp.com/euromaidanpress.com...size=600%2C450

Vasyl Tymkiv says that, for the first time in the past years, excavations were carried out with no difficulties thanks to financial support provided by the regional council. In fact, the council and civil organizations have created a programme for the reburial of victims of political repression.

“You’ll see similar things only in Lviv Oblast.” says Tymkiv “If such executions had taken place massively, on a national scale, then we would’ve probably had a Nuremberg-type trial of communist criminals. And perhaps, this could have prevented the Ukrainian-Russian war.”

Pamyat will now prepare for the reburial of each person in a separate coffin.

“This is the least we can do. There’s also another option – to bury the victims in Demyaniv Laz.” says Vasyl Tymkiv.

See first article: Mass graves of victims of political repression discovered in Ivano-Frankivsk -Euromaidan Press |

æ, !

Comment

• Ukraine Honors Memory of Holodomor Victims
                    VOA RFE Nov 25. 2017

Ukraine is marking the official Day of Remembrance of the Victims of the Holodomor, which commemorates the millions who died of famine under Soviet dictator Josef Stalin.

In central Kyiv on Saturday, President Petro Poroshenko and hundreds of other people laid symbolic wheat ears and lit candles before the monument commemorating victims of the famine.

"Today we commemorate the 85th anniversary of the Holodomor, perhaps the greatest disaster in the history of Ukraine and one of the most terrible tragedies in human history of the last century," the president wrote in a message on Twitter.

Mourning events were expected to take place throughout Ukraine, where the Day of Remembrance for the victims of the famine is marked every year on the fourth Saturday of November.

The Holodomor took place in 1932 and 1933 as Soviet authorities forced peasants in Ukraine to join collective farms by requisitioning their grain and other foodstuffs.

Historians say the seizure of the 1932 crop in Ukraine by Soviet authorities was the main cause of the famine. Moscow has long denied any systematic effort to target Ukrainians, arguing a poor harvest at the time wiped out many in other parts of what was then the Soviet Union.

It is estimated that as many as 9 million people may have died as a result of executions, deportation or starvation during the Stalin-era campaign.

Moscow seized control of Ukraine's Crimean Peninsula in March 2014 and fomented separatism across much of the country — one of the causes of a war that has killed more than 10,000 people in eastern Ukraine since April 2014.

Russia denies it has sent troops, weapons or other support to help the separatists fight government forces in eastern Ukraine, despite what Kyiv and NATO say is incontrovertible evidence.

In a message on Twitter, Poroshenko urged "all political forces to unite for the sake of Ukraine."

He also said that Russia's "aggression against us is a continuation of the same policy to destroy Ukraine with other methods, which Moscow introduced in the '30s of the last century."

Meanwhile, Oleksandr Turchynov, chief of the National Security and Defense Council, said in a statement that "there is a war and we again see manic attempts to destroy Ukraine." https://www.voanews.com/a/ukraine-ho...n/4136657.html

æ, !

Comment

• Marine Commander Sukharevsky: We’ll never give up Mariupol!
                      EUROMAIDAN PRESS Iryna Gorbaseva 2017/12/01 - 14:36

http://euromaidanpress.com/wp-conten...2017/12/V1.jpg

33-year-old Vadym Sukharevsky is one of the best known commanders in the Armed Forces of Ukraine. Major, Commander of a marine battalion of the 36th Marine Corps Brigade, Vadym continues to serve his country in the war zone.

On April 13, 2014, he disobeyed the General Staff’s order – “Hold your fire!” – near Sloviansk and saved a group of SBU officers from certain death, a story that has turned Vadym into a living legend. He was the first Ukrainian serviceman to open fire on the enemy. We recently met with Vadym after he had spent an afternoon talking to students of the Faculty of History at the Mariupol National University.

-The army is a mirror of our society, and children are our future. We soldiers may look very serious to you, but we’re people like everyone else, and we’re absolutely open. Our words and our stories should shed light on the situation and the information war in our country, especially in front-line regions like Mariupol. We want to talk to parents and their children, dispel the myths spread by the enemy, namely that we’re out to kill locals. We want people who don’t understand what’s happening now to think for themselves and form a correct point of view.

– Our meeting with the students was great! Savvy, active young people… interested, spirited and patriotic. It inspires us and makes us more aware of who we’re fighting for. Students are our future elite. I believe that it’s namely our young people that will build a strong country where there will be no need to fight, where we won’t have to worry about our neighbours in the east, west or north.

– Vadym, you’ve become a legend! How do you feel about that?

– I don’t like that word. This is war and I’m just doing my duty. Time will tell how well or how badly I’ve executed my obligations in different periods of this war. A legend? That’s not the real me.

– Tell us about your men. What do they mean to you?

– Generally speaking, the army is an institution where men are able to develop and train the qualities inherent in all soldiers. Men who enlist already possess these qualities. A marine is also a soldier, but you have to prove yourself to serve in the Marine Corps. So, I say without a doubt that I’m in charge of all my marines… definitely.

– Who serves in your battalion, and what’s the mood among your men? Are they allowed to go home often?

– My boys come from all the regions of Ukraine. There are also guys from the occupied territories and they’ll stay until their towns and villages have been returned to Ukraine. They’re very motivated. We also have some women serving in our ranks. There are no obstacles in the army. True, they’re mostly cooks, communications operators and health instructors. But, we have a woman who’s a grenade launcher. She’s 23 years old. And no matter how hard I try to transfer her to a safer job, nothing comes of it. She can’t see herself working in another place.

We don’t go home very often. I’m from Transcarpathia, and the last time I visited my parents was last spring. Never mind… it’s our duty.

– You probably joke around a lot with your men. Is there a standard joke for young recruits?

– A standard question for a young marine is “How many stripes are there on a sailor’s shirt? Some of them start counting… (Vadym laughs). But in fact, they should know that there are only two – a dark blue one and a white one. Well, a lazy marine may have three… some dirty marks.

– How do marines relax? What do they do in their free time?

– We’ve got a lot of friends that visit us quite regularly – artists, musicians, and performers, such as the hip-hop group TNMK and Tartak frontman Sashko Polozhynsky. Vakarchuk has also visited us. Taras Zhitynsky will be performing for us soon. He’s come up with some kind of instrument that looks like a guitar or bandura; he voices cartoon characters and movie stars; his voice is often heard on the screen. We sometimes have time to relax and enjoy other things. Of course, we don’t forget about religion and we talk a lot amongst ourselves.

– Vadym, how do you stay so calm and self-controlled?

– That’s a rule in the army. Whatever the situation, smile and you’ll feel better!

– How do you view Ukraine’s position in this military conflict? What will the outcome be?

– I believe in our strength, I believe in what we do. Our government’s policies are correct, I support them. The outcome? Victory, only victory… in any way or form, whether it’s an offensive or a political decision. In any case, this means that the enemy must return our territories and leave our country.

– We rarely hear our leaders and commanders addressing the people who live in the occupied territories. What would you say to them?

– To those waiting for our arrival and the return of their lands to Ukraine, we say that we’ll be with you very soon. To those who are against us, we quote the popular phrase: “. . ” (Suitcase. Train station. Russia). Life won’t be easy for them after we’ve returned, especially if they’ve betrayed us or fought against us.

– When you were guarding the roads to Mariupol, the residents slept peacefully. Will you stay here?

– Our permanent deployment position is in Mariupol. We’ve become part of the local landscape.

Source: Radio Liberty
                      Marine Commander Sukharevsky: We’ll never give up Mariupol! -Euromaidan Press |

æ, !

Comment

• Children of war: 17-year-old Misha and Artur talk about their fathers, childhood and war
                        EUROMAIDAN PRESS Censor.net Vika Yasynska 2017/12/14 - 20:30

http://euromaidanpress.com/wp-conten.../2017/12/1.jpg
                        Misha Makidon

Misha’s story
                        My father, Viktor Makidon, was an officer in the Myrotvorets Battalion. He died of a heart attack in Sloviansk on July 22, 2014. He had retired before the war started in Eastern Ukraine, but decided returned to his duties as a policeman and volunteered for active duty in the front lines.

At first, I wanted to attend the Petro Sahaidachny National Academy of Ground Forces in Lviv, but then I changed my mind. I’m also a soldier of sorts as I studied at the Kyiv Military Academy. One day, my friend’s Mom took me to watch the graduation ceremony at the academy, and then I decided I’d like to study there. That was three years ago, and this year I entered the Academy of the Ministry of Internal Affairs.

Dad worked for the police force for 25 years. He’s from Nizhyn, and that’s where he worked first… and later in Kyiv. He retired in 2012. He enjoyed his work, although he often said it was difficult, but he did everything he could to make things better. He never tried to deal or scheme… we lived in a communal building, but we got an apartment after his death.

Dad took part in the Maidan. At that time, he was working as a security guard in a bank, which wasn’t too far from the central square. At first, he didn’t tell my mother, but somehow she picked up the smell of smoke and burning tyres on his clothes. He supported the protesters, but also felt deeply for the young policemen who were thrown randomly into this conflict. Dad tried to talk with them so that they wouldn’t beat or attack the activists. He really tried to somehow reconcile both sides.

When the Russians invaded Eastern Ukraine, Dad said he didn’t want to sit at home; he wanted to join his friends who’d already left for the front. One day, while Mom was at work, Dad started talking with me about what was happening. He asked me not to tell my mother, he’d tell her himself, he said, and set out to the police headquarters to sign up for the Myrotvorets Battalion. He was 44 years old. He told me it was his duty to protect us. I was scared… How could I be without a father?

A few days later, when he received his police officer’s certificate, he waved it in front of me and shouted happily: “Look, Mishanya, I’m a policeman again.” Then, he told my mom… there were tears, arguments and shouting, but Mom finally realized it would be better to support her husband than fight him.

The last time we saw Dad was after he’d completed his military training. His younger brother came to visit, and we sat, talked and laughed. Suddenly, his friends arrived, Dad told me and my mother not to worry, he’d be back soon, and asked me to take care of my mother.

http://i1.wp.com/euromaidanpress.com...ize=551%2C1002
                        Viktor Makidon

I spent my holidays with Dad’s brother on the Desna River, but returned home earlier than expected. I can’t say I had some kind of premonition, but I really didn’t feel like staying there. Dad called as soon as I arrived, and we talked. He wasn’t feeling very well… his voice told me something was wrong. He was breathing hard and sometimes had to stop talking to catch his breath. He spoke with Mom for a long time, and she cried and cried…

My father wasn’t very open and didn’t like to show his feelings. I’m very much like him. But, during our last talk, he said that he wanted to be more open with me, that he loved me…He understood that such feelings are difficult to hide during war, you might not have time to express them to your loved ones. But he did!

This is what happened next, according to his friends… Dad hung up, stood there for a moment, bowed his head and fell to the floor. The doctors said he had a massive heart attack… although Dad had passed his medical with no apparent problems. He’s told Mom that he felt some pain in the chest and it was a bit difficult to breathe. She asked him to go and see a doctor and get treatment, but he smiled and replied: “How can I leave my guys and our positions here?”

They brought Dad had home in five days. I don’t remember this period very well, but I finally decided to go to the morgue with my mother and make sure it was really my father as I refused to believe it. When we looked at his body, we saw some wounds on the neck… maybe he was injured when they were leaving Popasna. He’d talked about the heavy shelling there. I questioned some of his friends again, and they replied: “Your Dad’s a hero! You should know that!”

I was very depressed during these months; I didn’t want to see anyone. I felt alone and broken inside. Finally, after six months, I started accepting Dad’s death and realized that I should start doing something because my father would probably look at me and say: “Come on, get going! Get up and stop feeling sorry for yourself!”

Before my father died, I viewed the world through a child’s rose-coloured glasses. Nothing bothered me, everything was great… but this tragedy changed everything. I realized I had to work and achieve everything on my own and stop expecting others to help me out. I got interested in politics and in what was happening around me. When I’m 21, I’ll buy some kind of weapon. It’s a dream because I believe that there should be a weapon in the house for protection.

Dad often called me Mishanya, and I called him Vitya. He was a cheerful and active man. On weekends, we often went out together… fishing, for example. He was a good friend who always supported and helped me. As a child, I liked war stories, I wanted to become a sniper, and my father told me a lot about different historical battles. I remember once we went to gather mushrooms in a nearby forest. He found a huge white mushroom and called me over. At that moment he saw a shell fragment from the Second World War lying nearby. Father told me to move away slowly, and then called for a group of demining engineers.

It’s only now that I fully understand why my father enlisted and went to fight. I’m very proud of him and the fact that he fought for his country and for us. After graduating from the academy, if the war is still ongoing, I plan to join the Myrotvorets Battalion. I’ve already told my mother. She thinks it’s just a passing fancy and I’ll get over it. But, it’s not… I want to go and experience what my father felt. And secondly, I want to have my revenge!

I hope that mothers, wives and children, friends and relatives will never feel such pain and loss. I don’t want to see tears anymore… it’s very difficult.

æ, !

Comment

• Victims of War Pt 2
                          Artur’s story

http://i2.wp.com/euromaidanpress.com...size=701%2C468
                          Artur Padyukov

Despite his disability, my father, Albert Padyukov, joined the Aidar Battalion in summer of 2014. He was killed on August 19, 2014 near the village of Metalist, Luhansk Oblast.

Dad was a sculptor, a true artist. He was born in Western Ukraine, and moved from Mukachevo to Kyiv with his mother. About ten years ago, he was bitten by an encephalitis tick, so he had a lot of problems with his legs. Gradually, he began to walk, but not like before because he needed a cane. He was listed as disabled (Second Group).

Mom and Dad took part in the Maidan events; he was even knifed one night for his activist position… when he was returning home. He decided to enlist without letting anyone know. He told me about it over the phone, because at that time I was staying with some relatives in Mukachevo. The last time we saw him was when I was leaving for Mukachevo.

My father died on August 19 near Metalist. When I heard this news, I felt a deep sadness, but I was angry… so angry at the people who’d killed him, and then I fell into some kind of stupor. Dad was buried in the village of Klyachanovo in Transcarpathia; he was born there. My cousin, Vadym Tereshchuk, also fought in the war; he passed away in hospital a year ago, that is, he died of complications due to severe injuries.

My mother called father “Beto”, that was his call sign. His friends told us they didn’t want him to fight because of his disability, but he ignored them and was always first in line. He was a stubborn man, always wanting to move forward, never retreating. They also said he was a very honest and reliable person.

My father always spoke with authority and taught me to behave like a man. He practiced sambo and loved boxing. He enrolled me in a boxing club, and later in mixed martial arts. We talked a lot about my education, and eventually decided that I’d study medicine. I’m currently studying nursing at the Third Medical College in Kyiv. Later, I’d like to go into rehabilitation therapy… and I’d like to study psychology.

After my father’s death, I slowly realized that everything was up to me, and only me. I understood there’d be no more fatherly support and I’d have to help my mother. I have an older brother, but he doesn’t live in Kyiv.

I’m still very angry, but I understand that Dad wanted to do what he thought best. I don’t blame him. He understood the risks he was taking; it was his choice. But, his death has changed me… If he were alive, I know for sure that he’d guide me through life, but now I have to deal with it all by myself. Nobody can replace him, but I talk a lot with his brother, and to some extent he gives me what Dad could have given me.

I didn’t pay attention to many things before, but now I’ve started looking around more, studying the world around me, the people, their lives, and their problems. I dream of finishing my studies, getting a job I like and making good money. I also hope that everything will be all right for my family and friends, that this war will soon be over, that we’ll finally see an end to these deaths.

Dad dreamed of having his own studio…. in a big private home in Western Ukraine. But, everything’s turned out differently. I remember when we spoke for the last time, I told him to be careful, and he replied that everything would be fine, dearest son.

http://i0.wp.com/euromaidanpress.com...size=662%2C883
                          Albert Padyukov

Children of war: 17-year-old Misha and Artur talk about their fathers, childhood and war -Euromaidan Press |

Source: Censor.net

æ, !

Comment

• please delete

æ, !

Comment

• “They said they would torture my son” – religious scholar released from occupied Donbas
                              EUROMAIDAN PRESS Inna Kuznetsova Radio Liberty 2018/01/14 - 03:45

http://i2.wp.com/euromaidanpress.com...kij.jpeg?w=650
                              Ihor Kozlovskyi, a well-known religious scholar, was released after over two years of captivity in the Russian-led "Donetsk People's Republic." Photo: RFE/RL

On 27 December 2017, Ukraine and Russian-run so-called Luhansk and Donetsk “people’s republics” (“LNR” and “DNR”) conducted its largest prisoner exchange since war broke out in the Eastern-Ukrainian region of the Donbas in 2014. In total, 73 Ukrainians who have been held hostage in the occupied territories of eastern Ukraine were exchaned for 233 citizens who were detained, being tried, or already sentenced in Ukraine. One of them was Ihor Kozlovskyi, an historian and scholar of religion, the President of the Center for Religious Studies and International Spiritual Relations. He taught Religious Studies at Donetsk National Technical University. He is the author of over 50 books and 200 studies. At the end of 2016, Ihor Kozlovskyi was apprehended by representatives of the terrorist group “DNR.” The militants accused Kozlovskyi of “illegal acquisition of explosives.” Accordingly, the so-called “court” argued for Kozlovskyi’s arrest on the ground that he is “an especially untrustworthy citizen, because he made contact with several organizations banned within the “DNR,” particularly with members of the Svoboda party in 2014.” In an intervew with RFE/RL, Mr. Kozlovskyi shared his experience of living through captivity in the “DNR.”

Inna Kuznetsova: Mr. Kozlovskyi, by now you must hate that journalists are always posing unwelcome questions. They ask you about the worst – and you must once more relive it.

Ihor Kozlovskyi: I have even come to miss such questions. For me, as a creative person, connecting with other people is very people. In the conditions which I lived through, there were no connections. There were only twisted relations with the people who were there… There was fear, arbitrariness, some kind of phantasmagoria. Everything was surreal. Until the end I could not understand – what was all this for?

Those people who imprisoned me, they did not consider me one of them. I watched the actions [in my homeland, over the last 4 years] and I had my own opinion [on them]. And they knew about this. Among simple people, common militants, their supervisors, I think I could say I sensed some measure of respect. They asked me about different things which related to, for example, the history of religion or history in general. They observed me respectfully and listened to all my thoughts. They did not understand how I even ended up there. I generally try to connect with the spirit.

I understand that people are different, that they have different world-views, different positions and different political positions. But there is a spirit. And it is necessary to converse with this spirit.
                              We need a mature civil society. This is a phenomenon which is necessary to cultivate as a national idea. And we need to converse with civil society over there [in occupied Donbas – ed]. How we can do this, I still don’t know. Because you need to reach every person, every personality, so that they may hear you. And for them to hear you, it is necessary to converse, and that means in their language, to find a point of contact, without which no progress can be made.

We arrived by a very difficult road at the severing of contact, even family contact. Resolving this is a question of years, even of decades…

http://i0.wp.com/euromaidanpress.com...zvi.jpeg?w=650
                              The President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko (Right) with religius scholar Ihor Kozlovskyi (Center),after his release from captivity among Russian hybrid forces.

Kuznetsova: How is the life in Kyiv, the discourse in Kyiv, different from the life and discourse in Donetsk?

Kozlovskyi: My family sent me journals and newspapers from [unoccupied – ed] Ukraine [to prison]. Relatives and students gathered [parcels – ed], sent them over the frontline. Then, over there, others collected them and brought them to my pre-trial detention center, to the prison where I spent the last eight months. They didn’t allow letters, but small ones still came through.

They are different worlds, not only a different world-views, but a completely different constructions of the world. In these three years [under Russian occupation – Ed], a generation of new people has arisen, people who think in structurally different ways. If in 2014 they were 15 years old, now they are 18. They go to serve, as they say, in the “Armed Forces” of the “Republics.” These are people who go there deliberately, they take up arms to, as they say, defend their interests, their ideas. The majority of them are simply trying to survive, because people there don’t have work. In military service one can collect pay.

Regarding ideas… When they were torturing me, when I had a bag over my head, they screamed that they were the “Russian World.” This is a mythological construct, and ideological construct which they have concocted. Nobody knows what this “Russian World,” which they endlessly talk about, even is…

Many people who live there are pro-Ukrainian. They are being observed. And there is a growing practice, like in the former USSR, of writing denunciations, the so-called “snitching.” “Military Tribunals,” “High Courts” – these are the specific organs through which the majority of civilian citizens [who were detained – ed] pass. These are “troikas” [the name for “courts” organized for summary trials of “Enemies of the People” in Soviet Purges – Ed.]

Generally, the impression is that they have created their own unique mix of 1937, the 1950s, and the 1970s of the USSR. It is similar to a role-playing game. Only this “role-playing game” concerns human lives and human freedom.

http://i0.wp.com/euromaidanpress.com...avda.jpg?w=690
                              Ihor Kozlovskyi. Photo: Ukrayinska Pravda

Kuznetsova: They detained you near your apartment, when you were taking out the trash and going to pay your rent. At that moment, apart from your son Sviatoslav, nobody was home. How did they get into your home? Did they break open the doors?

Kozlovskyi: I think that they have certain means by which they can unlock doors… Many things disappeared. Documents disappeared. They took money, valuables. They were screaming that they would carry my son into the basement with me, so that I would acknowledge that grenades and other explosives were mine. They said that they would torture my son in front of my eyes…

They only made allusions to espionage. They said: “You, maybe, are a spy, part of a vast conspiracy.” They mixed in some fantasy into their torture methods: beating, shocking people with electric currents, hanging them…

My son waited for me. We have that kind of bond. He was overjoyed after my release from captivity. Everybody who was freed [during the prisoner exchange – Ed] has a desire to ensure that everybody who remained behind can be freed. People there are truly suffering.

http://i1.wp.com/euromaidanpress.com...skyi.jpg?w=624
                              Mr. Kozlovskyi’s son participating in the #FreeKozlovskyy flashmob in 2017

Kuznetsova: Miloš Zeman, the President of the Czech Republic, tried to facilitate your release. He met with Putin, he even phoned the “leaders” of the militant group. He was amazed that they did not answer. He was shocked by their boorishness. How do you perceive this? After all, Miloš Zeman is accused of maintaining a pro-Russian posture.

Kozlovskyi: I know. Zeman as a person has the right to his own views. He is the president of a country. His views may not even match the views of Czech civil society. We know all this. But the President of the Czech Republic also worked hard, wrote letters, and followed these events. He said, that he even telephoned Putin more than once…
                              "They said they would torture my son" - religious scholar released from occupied Donbas -Euromaidan Press |

æ, !

Comment

• Crimean court sentences activist who flew Ukrainian flag in gravely falsified trial
                                EUROMAIDAN PRESS Alya Shandra 2018/01/17

On 16 January 2017, Volodymyr Balukh, the Crimean farmer who kept raising the Ukrainian flag above his house after Russia’s occupation of Crimea, was sentenced to three years and seven months in prison in a second trial which turned out to be as falsified as the first.

Balukh, was was arrested in his house in the Serebrianka village of the Rozdolnensky raion in northern Crimea on 8 December 2016 and was incriminated with illegally storing ammunition and explosives (70 rounds for a Kalashnikov gun, 19 cartridges and 5 pieces of TNT) which were presumably found on the attic of his common law wife. Balukh did not plead guilty. He stated that the case against him was fabricated with the participation of Dmitry Popov, the head of the criminal prosecution of the Rozdolnenskyi police department, and that explosives and ammunition were planted.

After the annexation of Crimea by Russia systematically hung the Ukrainian flag on his house and the house of his common-law wife. His house was searched on multiple occasions and the flag was torn down by law enforcers. During one of the searches, he was beaten up by them. On 29 November 2016, Balukh hung a plaque with the inscription “Street of the Heroes of the Heaven’s Hundred” on the wall of his own house, referring to the activists slain during Ukraine’s Euromaidan revolution. On the same day, the head of the collaborationist village council Vitaliy Stepaniuk came to visit him, threatening to call the police, and demanding Balukh take down the plaque.

On 4 August 2017, the so-called “Rozdolnensky District Court” sentenced Baluch to 3 years and 7 months of imprisonment and a fine of 10 thousand rubles. In early October, the “Supreme Court” of Crimea abolished this verdict and directed the case for additional investigation. However, this “investigation” turned out to be as falsified as the first.

https://youtu.be/JbCoTHXrEeg

Grotesquely falsified trial
                                As Volodymyr Balukh himself said in his last word, the main reason why it’s obvious that his case is falsified is that the search during which the ammunition and explosives were discovered in the attic of his common law wife’s attic stopped as soon as they were found.

“The whole accusation is based on one phrase: illegal purchase and storage. But how is this related to me? Tell me, who illegally purchased all this and stored it in the attic of my common law wife’s attic until a certain moment. The simplest proof that I have nothing to do with it is the fact that there are witnesses in the case who say that the search was held at two addresses, including the one where I live with my mother from nearly my birth. It has four attics: none of them was searched. There are other constructions there, and places to search for such objects, as can be seen from the passports of the buildings. However, the search at the place of residence of my common law wife stopped as soon as something was found. This, like nothing else, shows that they came for the object that they placed.”

The retrial had taken place in the same Rozdolnynskyi District Court, but under judge Yelena Tedeyeva, who was as willing as her colleague Maria Bedritskaya to ignore evidence that the ammunition and explosives were planted. There is multiple evidence to this extent:

--On 27 December 2017, Balukh’s defense, a RFE/RL correspondent reported from the court that Aleksandr Lopatin, the deputy head of the police department in Rozdolne who coordinated the actions of the police during the search at Balukh’s house, reported to the headquarters about the “discovered” ammunition at 9:30 AM, at least two hours before they were actually found: according to the witnesses, they were found at around 12:00, and the protocol was conducted at 2 PM. Despite this contradiction, the court refused to question Lopatin.
                                --As well, the court declined the petition of the defense to question the chief of the local police department and to determine the authenticity of the documents of the expert-criminalist center. Neiter did the court accept the prosal of Balukh’s lawyer Olga Dinze to invite a psychologist which could assess whether the testimonies of Balukh and the witnesses were truthful, which was put forward after Balukh complained that the court assesses all the statements of the accusation but dismisses all the statements of the defense as unobjective.

Human rights defenders believe that Balukh is being persecuted for his pro-Ukrainian position. Shortly before the ammunition and explosives were “discovered” in the house belonging to his common law wife, the activist was offered a choice: to either leave Crimea, or go to prison. He remained in the peninsula to care for his elderly mother.

An examination held on the insistence of lawyer Dmytro Dinze, revealed that the ammunition and explosives had fingerprints of the accused, or other signs that he had ever touched them, but concluded that “establishing this is impossible.” The court refused to conduct a re-examination, as well as to conduct a “complex dactyloscopic, biological and genetic expertise.” Balukh did possess have any firearms. According to the materials of the case, the cartridges were produced in 1982 in the Russian city of Barnaul. An expertise on the suitability of explosive devices for their intended use was not carried out at all.

Volodymyr Balukh claims that he saw an unknown person climb to the attic an hour and a half before the witnesses got there.

Volodymyr Balukh is one of at least 64 Ukrainians imprisoned by Russia on political motives. See who they are and how you can help free them at the website: #LetMyPeopleGo - Let My People Go

Crimean court sentences activist who flew Ukrainian flag in gravely falsified trial -Euromaidan Press |

æ, !

Comment

Working...
                                X