X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie Open - Tennis

15-year-old Kostyuk joins Svitolina in Aussie Open 3rd round
    FOX NEWS JOHN PYE | Associated Press 1/16/2018

MELBOURNE, Australia – A 15-year-old qualifier and the No. 4-seeded Elina Svitolina were among three Ukrainian women who had matches starting simultaneously Wednesday and all progressed to the third round of the Australian Open.

Former Australian junior champion Marta Kostyuk, who entered the season-opening major ranked No. 521, followed up her opening win over 25th-seeded Peng Shuai with a 6-3, 7-5 victory over Australian wild-card entry Olivia Rogowska.

Kostyuk already is the youngest player since Martina Hingis in 1996 to win a main-draw match at the year's opening major. And that came after three three-set matches in qualifying over six hours.

Kostyuk is managed by Ivan Ljubicic, who works with Roger Federer, and so gets the benefit of some first-rate analysis.

"Ivan is always helping me ... after every match, he's telling me what's wrong," she said, smiling.

Kostyuk's progress is set to become more difficult, with a meeting against Svitolina in the next round.

While Kostyuk was playing on Margaret Court Arena, Svitolina, who won a tour-leading five titles in 2017, had a 4-6, 6-2, 6-1 win over Katerina Siniakova on the adjoining Rod Laver Arena.'

Their fellow Ukrainian, Kateryna Bondarenko, beat No. 15-seeded Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova 6-2, 6-3 in the day's opening match on Melbourne Park's third show court to reach the third round here for the third time.

On the men's side, No. 10 Pablo Carreno Busta was leading 6-2, 3-0 when Gilles Simon retired from their second-round match.

Andreas Seppi beat Yoshihito Nishioka 6-1, 6-3, 6-4.
    15-year-old Kostyuk joins Svitolina in Aussie Open 3rd round | Fox News

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp

BBC: Svitolina beats 15-year-old Marta Kostyuk in third round at Australian Open Ukrainian fourth seed Elina Svitolina outclassed 15-year-old compatriot Marta Kostyuk to reach the Australian Open fourth round, according to the BBC.
    UNIAN 10:09, 19 January 2018

Svitolina won 6-2 6-2 in 59 minutes against world number 521 Kostyuk, the BBC said.

The youngest player since 1997 to reach the third round of a Grand Slam, Kostyuk was aiming to be the youngest since 1996 to progress to the last 16

Svitolina, 23, the only seed left in her quarter of the draw, will play world number 130 Denisa Allertova next.

Kostyuk was given a wildcard into qualifying after winning the junior title 12 months ago. Asked how much she learned, the teenager said: "A lot. How much do you have to pay Svitolina to have a one-hour lesson? I got it for free.

Asked how much she learned, the teenager said: "A lot. How much do you have to pay Svitolina to have a one-hour lesson? I got it for free.

"She's a great player, but what I learned is that you can play against everyone. I had the chances, but because I thought she is incredible, like she's a god, I cannot do anything against her, that's the problem."

Svitolina said: "It was sad that I was playing a Ukrainian girl. She's a great fighter, she fought right until the end and has a great future."

The Ukrainian pair's match was played in 40C heat on Rod Laver Arena while France's Alize Cornet had her blood pressure taken by a doctor during her defeat by Elise Mertens on the Hisense Arena.

UNIAN: https://www.unian.info/society/23543...lian-open.html

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp

Comment

Working...
    X