Vasyl Lomachenko

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vasyl Lomachenko

VASYL LOMACHENKO (2X Olympic Gold Medalist)

Next Fight
    Sat, Nov 26 2016 @ Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    7:30-10:35pm ET
    Televised HBO
    Vasyl Lomachenko Boxing Record

=========================================
    I saw Vasyl fight Romulo Martinez in June.

He's the perfect "circle dancing" fighter and a must see, even if you might not be a boxing enthusiast. He has been training since he was a little kid w/his father, a pro trainer. Truly amazing -

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp

He is indeed a great fighter and a great symbol for Ukraine. He's moving up the ranks very quickly.

See whats been posted in the past day.

Contact forum moderators here.

Comment

Vasyl Lomachenko beats Nicholas Walters by TKO to defend his title
      THE TELEGRAPH Gareth A Davies, Boxing Correspondent,in Las Vegas
      Chris Graham 27 November 2016 • 11:10am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/d...D25F6qjxHs.jpg
      Vasyl Lomachenko, of Ukraine, celebrates after defeating Nicholas Walters, of Jamaica, in a WBO junior lightweight title boxing match in Las Vegas Credit: AP

--Proud Jamaican warrior Nicholas Walters set to shock rising star Vasyl Lomachenko
      --Vasyl Lomachenko likened to Muhammad Ali for his ring skills
      --Promoter Arum still showing his ring craft 50 years on

Vasyl Lomachenko said he is now aiming for boxing's No 1 pound for pound spot after his domination of Nicholas Walters on Saturday night, while his promoter Bob Arum said we had watched "a modern master", "a magician" at work.

Lomachenko was certainly that, outworking, outthinking and outclassing the WBO junior lightweight world challenger before the Jamaican was stopped after seven rounds on the decision of referee Tony Weeks.

I gave one round to Walters, but that was even generous.

Lomachenko said ringside to reporters afterwards: "After the fifth round I really enjoyed that. He said he was a warrior he would do this and that in the build up but what did he really do ? He's a good fighter, really strong, but he stood there and made it easy for me."

"My goal is to be the No 1 pound for pound fighter in the world. I had my plan I knew it would take about four rounds and then I went to work on him. In the end he just quit."

Promoter Arum, overseeing his 2000th event after 50 years in boxing, added: "We watched a modern master, a magician in action tonight. It surprised me he quit but Walters was going to get knocked out. Lomachenko had worked the kid out and was going to stop him in the next round."

Arum will now look at other fights for 2017. "The Manny Pacquiao fight is a possibility in 2017, but so is the rematch with Orlando Salido (to whom Lomachenko lost in his second pro fight for the world featherweight crown). I want to see him fighting more. Two fights a year is bull----."
      ===================
      Lomachenko was brilliant. Walters spent most of his time defending, leaving no time for attacking.

æ, !

Comment

https://youtu.be/0hqhkFBBIo4?t=4
        Watch some of the best moments in the career of pound for pound great Vasyl Lomachenko. Lomachenko vs. Sosa happens Saturday, April 8 live on HBO beginning at 10pm ET/PT.

LOS ANGELES TIMES Lance Pugmire April 6, 2017

The pattering of the speed bag, the grunts of a sparring session and the sweat from jumping rope are staple scenes of the boxing gym.

For Vasyl Lomachenko, there’s also the quiet time of an extended post-training chat with his sports psychologist.

The Oxnard-trained Ukrainian super-featherweight world champion, who returns to the ring Saturday night in an HBO-televised main event against Jason Sosa in Maryland, has relied on the unique program to produce impressive results.

Two Olympic gold medals. Two division belts in his first seven pro fights. And fists that strike with precision, power and speed.

“Athletes always try to improve, right? So I try to improve their psychological condition,” said Andriy Kolosov, a Ukrainian university-educated scientific researcher who’s assisted Lomachenko and stablemates Oleksandr Usyk, the unbeaten cruiserweight world champion, and light-heavyweight Oleksandr Gvozdyk (12-0, 10 KOs) since their Olympic days.

“A lot of psychological exercises can improve attention, memory, imagination, coordination,” Kolosov said. “Everything we do is made to add a little bit.”

Kolosov said he knows of no other boxers who consult frequently with an expert in the mentality of fighting.

Lomachenko (7-1, five knockouts) has certainly grasped the lessons while knocking out Roman Martinez to win the belt and forcing Nicholas Walters to quit last year en route to standing as a heavy favorite to dispose of Sosa (20-1-4, 15 KOs) at the new MGM resort outside Baltimore.

“Always in my training, every day, I try to be better,” Lomachenko, 29, said. “I train hard. I’m still growing up, trying to be the best. All your boxing skills depend on how your body’s feeling. If you’re strong, you can make what you want in the ring.”

"This is the professional way to prepare for the sport. It's one of the best ways to prepare for a fight, to always have the psychologist by me. A professional athlete needs to train his body, but he, as well, needs to train his brain.

"It gives me results. It helps me to win the fights," he said.

Kolosov said his lessons are built to balance the emotions of a fight with the intellect required to break down an opponent.

“You have some high emotional activity when you go through the ropes. And that high emotional activity can weaken intellectual activity. If you’re highly emotional, you lose muscle activity. That’s why we need to regulate cognitive and emotional activity,” Kolosov said.

“I give [Lomachenko] response and feedback, asking him, ‘How can we be better in order to become more confident? Understand [psychology] more. Be more stable. Emotional, but intellectual.

Lomachenko’s promoter, Bob Arum, is so captivated by his fighter that he’s said Lomachenko is his best since Muhammad Ali.

He’s watched Lomachenko spend 30 to 60 minutes in sessions with Kolosov after training, and the fighter’s father-trainer, Anatoly, and manager, Egis Klimas, are both strong advocates of the mental development.

“It’s terrific,” said Arum, calling the Eastern Europeans’ sessions an under-used preparation technique for all fighters. “I’ve never seen it before. They prepare differently from our Western fighters. They live their life differently. And that’s what really accounts for their amazing success. People have attributed it to their training program, and that’s part of it, but a lot of it is how they prepare and conduct themselves for fights.” Vasyl Lomachenko will use his fists and his mind against Jason Sosa - LA Times

æ, !

Comment

Usyk, Lomachenko defend boxing titles Another Ukrainian boxer, light heavyweight Oleksandr Gvozdyk, also won his fight Saturday night.
          UNIAN 09 April 2017

Referee Bill Clancy counted a knockdown for Usyk with just over a minute left in the 12th round because he ruled the ropes held up a hurt Hunter. There seemed to be several instances in the 12th round when Clancy would’ve been justified in stopping the bout, but he allowed Hunter to make it to the final bell, according to BoxingScene.

The 30-year-old Usyk won by the same score, 117-110, on all three scorecards.

It was his second defense of the cruiserweight championship he won from Poland’s Krzysztof Glowacki (26-1, 16 KOs) on September 17 in Gdansk, Poland. Usyk beat Glowacki by unanimous decision to win a world title in just his 10th professional fight.

On the same night, WBO world champion in the second featherweight champion Vasyl Lomachenko confidently defended his title in a fight with Jason Sosa (U.S.) with a TKO in the ninth round. Throughout the whole fight, the Ukrainian dominated fully and increasingly, which led to Sosa’s team throwing a towel in the ninth round.

In turn, light heavyweight Oleksandr Gvozdyk scored a very bright victory in the bout with Cuban Yunieski Gonzalez, with a TKO in the third round. Retaining control over the Cuban’s aggressive stance, in the third round Gvozdyk eventually caught Gonzalez with a heavy counterattack, which knocked Gonzales down, for the first time in his professional career. Until the end of the third round, Gvozdyk managed to finish Gonzalez, who failed to get out of groggy and whose team chose to throw a towel amid the Ukrainian’s brutal strikes.

https://www.unian.info/society/18675...ng-titles.html

æ, !

Comment

Vasyl Lomachenko takes care of Jason Sosa with a ninth-round TKO
            Los Angeles Times April 8, 2017 Source: AP
            http://www.trbimg.com/img-58e9c1d1/t...ge/750/750x422

Frustrated that he can't get fights against the opponents he wants, Vasyl Lomachenko took his frustration out on Jason Sosa.

Lomachenko (8-1, 6 KOs) dominated his WBO junior featherweight title defense before Sosa's own corner stopped the fight after the ninth round, completing a three-fight Ukrainian sweep on Saturday night.

After a bout in which even Sosa's corner admitted they were the third choice, Lomachenko says he's eager to unify titles.

Sosa (20-2-4) was a WBA belt holder at 130 pounds, but was forced to vacate to take this fight.

“I'll go home, rest, and then I want to negotiate with all the other champions in my division,” Lomachenko said. “If they refuse to fight me, I'm going to move up to 135.”

Aleksandr Usyk (12-0) defended his WBO cruiserweight title with a 117-110 unanimous decision over Mike Hunter (12-1) in the first fight of an HBO TV card and the maiden boxing event at the MGM National Harbor.

And Oleksandr Gvozdyk (13-0, 11 KOs) won by a third-round technical knockout over Yuniesky Gonzalez to complete the Ukrainain sweep and unify the NABF and NABO light heavyweight belts.

In front of a heavy Ukrainian contingent in a sell-out crowd of 2,828, Lomachenko battered Sosa, who finished with a badly swollen left eye.

At one point in the sixth round, he mocked Sosa with a matador gesture, to the delight of fans who chanted his name and “Ooo-Cray-Nee-Ahh” throughout while waving blue and gold Ukrainian national flags.

By the ninth, it had become clear to Sosa's corner that this was a no-win proposition.

“I couldn't really execute,” Sosa said. “He's a great fighter.”

That's what many thought all along, and Lomachenko's promoters would've rather seen a rematch with Orlando Salido or a unification bout with Jezreel Corrales.

Salido handed Lomachenko his only defeat in his second fight as a professional, but only after Salido failed to make the 126-pound weight limit.

“The first fight was like a 3rd-grader fighting a 12th-grader,” Lomechnko said. “I've now graduated to the university, and I want to invite Salido to my university.”

Earlier, Usyk appeared close to a knockout several times in the latter rounds of his bout.

In the 12th, he punched Hunter into the ropes and was awarded a knockdown from referee Bill Clancy. Hunter survived the round despite a brutal flurry from Usyk to close the fight.

“I did what I wanted to do,” Usyk said. “He took a lot of punches, I thought maybe they would stop the fight at the end.”

The theater at the MGM National Harbor doubled as a second home for the HBO card's Ukrainian trio, from the moment hundreds in the crowd joined in the singing of their national anthem.

It continued all night, with national flags dotting the arena and the crowd chanting the names of all three fighters' names during their respective bouts.
            Vasyl Lomachenko takes care of Jason Sosa with a ninth-round TKO - LA Times
            -----------------------------------
            Lomachenko had premiere training. He entered the rink when he was a big three. At nine his father asked if Vasil wanted to be a professional. The kid said yes and was sent off to join a Ukrainian Kozak Dance Troupe, in which he performed until he was thirteen. Today his footwork reflects those dancing lessons. His lightening-speed fists are also something to behold.

æ, !

Comment

Vasyl Lomachenko shows all of his impressive talent in TKO of Miguel Marriaga
              LOS ANGELES TIMES Lance Pugmire Aug 5, 2017

Vasyl Lomachenko’s rapid, powerful hands and impeccable footwork are a sight to behold — except for his opponent.

Saturday night at Microsoft Theater, Ukraine’s Lomachenko produced his latest masterpiece when World Boxing Organization super-featherweight title contender Miguel Marriaga failed to answer the bell for the eighth round.

In retaining his WBO belt, Lomachenko (9-1, seven knockouts) knocked down Marriaga (25-3) late in the seventh with a punch to the head after a round-long onslaught of blows on the Colombian.

Marriaga is no slouch. In April, he gave WBO featherweight champion Oscar Valdez all he could handle in a narrow loss at StubHub Center.

On this night, Marriaga was first knocked down in the third round and soon reverted to protective mode as Lomachenko continued to pursue him relentlessly.

“It’s very hard in boxing when your opponent is all about defense,” said Lomachenko, a former two-time Olympic champion. “It was hard to open his defense. He always stayed in this [covered] position.”

There wasn’t much choice considering Lomachenko’s versatility and ability to unleash a punishing flurry at any time. The first knockdown, for instance, was preceded by a combination and a left uppercut, then a right uppercut, then a hard left to the head as Marriaga fell backward to the canvas.

Lomachenko’s elusiveness had the double benefit of frustrating Marriaga with his swings and misses while the contender was left exposed to scoring blows that Lomachenko landed to the body.

Lomachenko shrugged off a cut over the left eye from a fourth-round head butt, and landed blows including a combination while Marriaga was backed to the ropes by repeated right hands to the kidneys in the sixth.

"He dominated the fight. He basically overwhelmed me with pressure" — Miguel Marriaga

“He dominated the fight. He basically overwhelmed me with pressure,” Marriaga said.

Lomachenko chased Marriaga along the ropes in the seventh, then slugged him to the body, faking a windup, then throwing the decisive punch seconds before Marriaga’s corner decided their fighter had suffered enough.

“I’ve never seen anything like this,” said Lomachenko promoter Bob Arum, who has also handled the careers of Muhammad Ali and Manny Pacquiao. “Not only does he have the knowledge, he has the skill set, the fast reflexes.”

“He dominated the fight. He basically overwhelmed me with pressure,” Marriaga said.

Lomachenko chased Marriaga along the ropes in the seventh, then slugged him to the body, faking a windup, then throwing the decisive punch seconds before Marriaga’s corner decided their fighter had suffered enough.

“I’ve never seen anything like this,” said Lomachenko promoter Bob Arum, who has also handled the careers of Muhammad Ali and Manny Pacquiao. “Not only does he have the knowledge, he has the skill set, the fast reflexes.”

Arum said he’s eyeing a Dec. 9 fight for Lomachenko, possibly in New York, against either super-bantamweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux, former featherweight champion Orlando Salido or World Boxing Council super-featherweight champion Miguel Berchelt.

“Doesn’t matter,” Lomachenko said when asked who he wants next. “Anybody.”

In the co-main event, Mexico’s Ray Beltran won a fight and a better chance to permanently remain in the United States, defeating Costa Rica’s Bryan Vasquez by majority decision.

Former junior-welterweight title contender Beltran (34-7-1) claimed a majority decision victory by scores of 95-95, 96-94, 96-94.

Beltran needed the victory to enhance his bid to remain in the U.S. because his non-immigrant visa is nearing expiration.

He’ll submit a petition soon to the U.S. Customs and Immigration Services for permanent residency as someone with “extraordinary ability in professional boxing,” according to Beltran’s attorney.

“I put no pressure on myself,” over the situation, Beltran said.

“I’m very motivated. I’m just here to fight.” Vasyl Lomachenko shows all of his impressive talent in TKO of Miguel Marriaga - LA Times

æ, !

Comment

Vasyl Lomachenko: Ukrainian fighter aims to be a three-weight champion – media
                He won 396 fights and lost just once as an amateur.
                UNIAN 21 March 2018

Ukraine's Vasyl Lomachenko aims to become a three-weight world champion in his 12th professional fight when he faces Jorge Linares on May 12.

The WBA lightweight title contest will take place at Madison Square Garden, New York, the BBC said.

Lomachenko, 30, is widely regarded as the world's finest fighter since the retirement of Floyd Mayweather and Andre Ward.

He won 396 fights and lost just once as an amateur.

"We are very excited about the fight," said Lomachenko, who stopped Cuban Guillermo Rigondeaux after six rounds in December.

Venezuela's Linares, 32, a four-time world champion in three weight divisions, defeated British trio Luke Campbell, Anthony Crolla (twice) and Kevin Mitchell in between 2015 and 2017.

He said: "Not only will I demonstrate why I'm the best lightweight in the world, but also that I'm one of the best pound-for-pound fighters. I have the speed, skill and power to win."

UNIAN: https://www.unian.info/society/10051...ion-media.html

æ, !

Comment

Crazy Speed by Vasyl Lomachenko - Top 5 Amazing Fights
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULF7Rj83FUU

æ, !

Comment

Vasiliy Lomachenko TKOs Jorge Linares to become fastest three-division boxing champion
                    A liver shot in the 10th round led to a TKO victory by Lomachenko to end a competitive bout
                    CBS SPORTS Brian Campbell 23h ago • 3 min read

NEW YORK -- Boxing's pound-for-pound king has added a third crown.

In just his 12th professional bout, two-time Olympic gold medalist Vasiliy Lomachenko (11-1, 9 KOs) won his third world title in as many weight classes, becoming the fastest boxer in history to accomplish that feat by stopping a determined Jorge Linares (44-4) in the 10th round of a thrilling lightweight title bout in front of 10,429 fans at Madison Square Garden.

Lomachenko, who cemented his status as the sport's best and most dynamic boxer, added another chapter to his growing lineage by getting off the canvas in Round 6 of his 135-pound debut and rising to the occasion against a fighter in Linares, who has been the class of the division over the past five years.

"Linares is a great champion," Lomachenko said, "and the fight was good for the fans and everybody. It was a great fight."

For everything Linares brought to the table in terms of speed, craft and fluid combinations, Lomachenko was somehow always one step ahead of him in a dazzling display of boxing artistry that can best be described as high-speed chess. The native of Ukraine also became the fastest in boxing history to win titles in three divisions by adding the WBA lightweight belt to his growing collection in just his 12th fight.

Some of his best-known peers that have accomplished the same feat -- Oscar De La Hoya (22 fights), Floyd Mayweather (34), Manny Pacquiao (41) -- all took significantly longer to hit the mark.

Lomachenko also added another highlight-reel finish when he forced Linares to a knee in Round 10 following a flurry of eight punches, all of which landed clean, including a hard hook to the body. Linares reached his feet but was unable to beat the count as referee Ricky Gonzalez waved him off at 2:08.

"Going into this fight, we knew Loma was a huge talent," said Lomachenko's promoter, Bob Arum of Top Rank. "After this fight, we know now that he's a fighter."

Lomachenko, 30, was leading 86-84 on one scorecard at the time of the stoppage and trailing by the same score on a second. The third judge had it 85-85. CBS Sports also had it even entering the 10th round.

Linares suffered a cut above his eye in Round 8 and battled swelling around both eyes over the second half of the fight. But his knockdown of Lomachenko in Round 6, on a stiff counter right hand, shifted the momentum completely as Lomachenko fell to his rear end and needed another full round to regain his mojo.

"That right hand, it was a great punch. It happens," Lomachenko said. "I prepared for the last few rounds, and my father [trainer Anatoly Lomachenko] told me, 'You need to go to the body.'"

Lomachenko outlanded Linares, 213-207, according to CompuBox. The challenger also connected on 42 percent of his power shots and out jabbed his opponent 112-68.

Entering the night, Lomachenko already held boxing records for fewest fights needed to win a world title (three) and titles in multiple divisions (seven). Linares had won 13 straight fights with seven consecutive title defenses.

Although Lomachenko was spectacular in dispatching a fighter in Linares, the knockdown exposed the potential for vulnerability at this weight class, especially against big punchers like WBC champion Mikey Garcia.

After the fight, Arum shared his interest in bringing Lomachenko back as early as Aug. 25 at The Forum in Inglewood, California, with WBO lightweight champion Ray Beltran as a possible opponent.

"Don't get misled by the fact that he only has 12 professional fights," Arum said of Lomachenko. "He had 397 amateur fights, so he is a consummate fighter.

"He's a terrific fighter, a great talent, and he showed the heart of a fighter. I think 130 [pounds] is a little bit more comfortable, but he likes challenges. I think the challenges are more at 135 because he's fighting bigger guys than at 130. I don't know who he fights at 130 that gives him a challenge." http://www.ukraine.com/forums/sports...tml#post147964

æ, !

Comment

Lomachenko gives up WBO 130 title, remains at lightweight – media
                      As expected, Vasiliy Lomachenko has decided to remain at lightweight for his next fight
                      UNIAN 13:54, 24 May 2018

Lomachenko officially gave up his WBO junior lightweight title Wednesday.

His promoter, Top Rank Inc., informed the WBO of Lomachenko's choice to stay at 135 pounds, the division in which he stopped Jorge Linares in the 10th round May 12 to win the WBA world lightweight title, BoxingScene.com wrote.

The 30-year-old Lomachenko (11-1, 9 KOs) said in the immediate aftermath of his victory that he would weigh his options before deciding whether to stay at 135 pounds or move back down to compete in the 130-pound division.

The skillful Ukrainian southpaw is expected to return to the ring August 25 at The Forum in Inglewood, California. Promoter Bob Arum has mentioned WBO lightweight champion Ray Beltran (35-7-1, 21 KOs, 1 NC), who's also promoted by Arum's Top Rank, as a potential opponent.

Lomachenko became a three-division champion in just his 12th professional bout by beating Linares with a perfectly placed body shot 11 days ago at Madison Square Garden.

The two-time Olympic gold medalist won the WBO junior lightweight championship by knocking out Puerto Rico's Rocky Martinez in the fifth round of their June 2016 bout in The Theater at Madison Square Garden. He defended that title four times before facing Venezuela's Linares (44-4, 27 KOs).

Carl Moretti, Top Rank's vice president of boxing operations, explained Lomachenko's decision in a letter issued Wednesday to WBO president Francisco Valcarcel.

"I am writing you on behalf of Team Lomachenko," Moretti wrote. "As you are well aware, on May 12 Vasiliy moved up in weight to challenge WBA Lightweight champion Jorge Linares. As you saw, he was successful in capturing the lightweight title. Vasiliy wishes to continue to campaign in the lightweight division, therefore, we respectfully relinquish our WBO Junior Lightweight title so that an opportunity may be given to the ranked contenders to compete for the vacant belt."

Puerto Rico's Christopher Diaz (23-0, 15 KOs), who's ranked No. 1 by the WBO, and Japan's Masayuki Ito (23-1-1, 12 KOs), who's ranked No. 2, are expected to fight for the WBO junior lightweight crown Lomachenko relinquished July 28 in Kissimmee, Florida. Like Lomachenko, Diaz is promoted by Top Rank. UNIAN: https://www.unian.info/society/10128...ght-media.html

æ, !

Comment

Ukrainian boxer Lomachenko wins unanimous decision for 2nd lightweight belt media (Video)
                        He added the WBO title to the WBA belt he picked up in May during his first fight at 135 pounds.
                        UNIAN 10:30, 09 December 2018

https://images.unian.net/photos/2018...34423627123894

Ukrainian boxer Vasiliy Lomachenko has won a unanimous decision for the second lightweight belt. Vasiliy Lomachenko is halfway to owning all the major lightweight titles after just two fights, and he's already eyeing the guy he'd need to beat to get the next one, USA Today reported with reference to the Associated Press.

"Of course I want two more belts and maybe we can make next year a fight with Mikey Garcia," Lomachenko said.

He picked up his second lightweight title Saturday night, wearing down Jose Pedraza and winning a unanimous decision at Madison Square Garden.

Lomachenko (12-1) knocked down Pedraza twice in the 11th round and though he couldn't finish him, won easily to add the WBO title to the WBA belt he picked up in May during his first fight at 135 pounds.

The three-division champion unified titles within a division for the first time, after moving up to lightweight in May when he knocked out Jorge Linares in the 10th round.

"It was my dream to unify titles," Lomachenko said. "It was my next goal. I can now focus on my next chapter."

Lomachenko won one card by a 119-107 rout, while two judges scored it 117-109, as did The Associated Press.

It ended his streak of eight straight victories by stoppage but he came close in the 11th, when Pedraza went to a knee to stop an onslaught of punches with about a half-minute left in the round and then went down again after Lomachenko caught him with a body shot.

In his first fight since right shoulder surgery, Lomachenko started cautiously before finding the range with a flurry of combinations in the latter half of the fight to pull away. He tore the labrum in the second round against Linares but said he had no problems with the shoulder Saturday, even though he threw far more lefts.

https://youtu.be/St7ZJy04bzY

UNIAN: https://www.unian.info/society/10369...dia-video.html

æ, !

Comment

Vasiliy Lomachenko to face Anthony Crolla on April 12 in Los Angeles
                          Dan Rafael ESPN Senior Writer Feb 19, 2019

Pound-for-pound king Vasiliy Lomachenko will defend his unified lightweight world title against mandatory challenger Anthony Crolla on April 12 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles after their camps made a deal Tuesday night.

The deal for the fight, which will headline a Top Rank Boxing on ESPN+ card to coincide with the one-year anniversary of the launch of the network's streaming service, was made between Lomachenko promoter Top Rank and Crolla promoter Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Boxing one day before the promotional rights for the bout were set to be auctioned off at a purse bid at WBA headquarters in Panama City, Panama.

Top Rank vice president Carl Moretti said the card also will include the light heavyweight debut of super middleweight world titlist Gilberto "Zurdo" Ramirez.

"We thought Loma would be fighting Richard Commey, but because of his hand surgery, a small procedure on a ligament, the focus obviously moved to Loma fulfilling his mandatory against Crolla once that happened. We'll look to unify the titles with Commey afterward, in the late summer," Moretti told ESPN on Tuesday night, shortly after the deal with Crolla was made.

The Lomachenko-Crolla deal is not signed, but all the terms are agreed to and the paperwork is being drawn up, Moretti said.

"Loma wants all the titles at lightweight, and he wants to keep them and defend them," Moretti said.

Commey injured his right hand during his second-round knockout of Isa Chaniev to win a vacant 135-pound belt on Feb. 2 in Frisco, Texas, on the Eleider Alvarez-Sergey Kovalev II undercard. Commey and Chaniev each had previously signed to fight Lomachenko to unify their three belts pending a victory. Commey won but suffered the injury that would sideline him for at least six weeks, making him unavailable for April 12.

That put the focus on Crolla, who became one of Jorge Linares' mandatory challengers when Crolla won a unanimous decision over Daud Yordan on Nov. 10 in Crolla's hometown of Manchester, England.

Now Crolla, a heavy underdog, is headed for his first fight in the United States and only his second outside of the United Kingdom; he fought in Germany in 2008.

"It's a huge opportunity for Anthony Crolla," Hearn said. "He has earned his stripes, a former world champ who has fought the best. He won the final eliminator against Yordan in November, and I'm happy he gets this chance now. Lomachenko is a great talent, but Anthony is in great shape and ready for this chance."

In November 2015, Crolla (34-6-3, 13 KOs) won a lightweight world title by fifth-round knockout from Darleys Perez in Manchester in an immediate rematch of a draw four months earlier.

Crolla, 32, defended the title with a seventh-round knockout of Ismael Barroso, then lost it by decision to Linares in September 2016. Linares outpointed Crolla in an immediate rematch in March 2017, after which Crolla reeled off three wins in a row to earn the title shot against Lomachenko.

Lomachenko (12-1, 9 KOs), who turned 31 on Sunday, has won world titles in three weight classes. He moved up to lightweight and knocked out Linares in the 10th round in May to win a world title in his third division. On Dec. 8, Lomachenko, a two-time Olympic gold medalist from Ukraine, dropped Jose Pedraza twice in the 11th round en route to a unanimous decision victory to unify two belts.

Ramirez (39-0, 25 KOs), 27, a southpaw from Mexico, will face an opponent to be determined in the co-feature. He won a super middleweight world title by shutout decision of Arthur Abraham in 2016, and he has made five defenses; but Ramirez told ESPN earlier this month that making 168 pounds was becoming increasingly difficult and that he would move up to light heavyweight for his next bout.

Ramirez's aim is to get acclimated to the division and put himself in the title picture in a talent-rich division that Top Rank is heavily involved in as the promoter for world champion Oleksandr Gvozdyk and world titlist Artur Beterbiev, and as the co-promoter for world titlist Kovalev and former titleholder Alvarez.http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/i...12-los-angeles

æ, !

Comment

Working...
                          X