Wladimir Klitschko retains belt - honors Ukraine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wladimir Klitschko retains belt - honors Ukraine

The April 26th boxing match seemed very easy for Wladimir Klitschko, in the 5th round he knockout his opponent. But the fight was like no other. The Klitschko brothers don't typically act very Ukrainian in their careers, usually being more German than Ukrainian. Vitalij did show his support for the Orange Revolution in one of his matches years ago, but since then they've been pretty quite. As a side note, Russia did not air the fight, it normally does.

This match seemed to be all about Ukraine. Klitschko's famous intro music played as normal and he spoke in German as normal (fight is in Germany) but the video looked like this.

Klitschko said he needed to win this fight for his country and for the Klitschko family.

At the end of the fight he paraded the Ukrainian flag, again, normally always done.

And there were plenty of fans. When asked for comment, Klitschko grabbed the mic and thanked the Ukrainians that made the revolution happen and thanked Germans for their support. He shouted "Slava Ukraini - Herojem Slava (Glory to Ukraine - Glory to it's Heros)" a handful of times as the fans shouted back.

See whats been posted in the past day.

Contact forum moderators here.

Klitschko planning to hold next fight in Germany on September 6

KYIV, May 13 /Ukrinform/. World heavyweight champion, Ukrainian boxer Wladimir Klitschko, has said he intends to hold his next fight in Germany on September 6, ITAR-TASS has reported.

According to the report, the 38-year-old boxer, who holds the IBF, WBO, WBA and IBO belts, has already booked for that day an indoor football stadium in Hamburg, Germany.

Earlier, the IBF ordered Klitschko to make a defense of his titles in a fight with Kubrat Pulev of Bulgaria. The Bulgarian became the mandatory challenger for the bout after beating American Tony Thompson in August 2013. Klitschko planning to hold next fight in Germany on September 6| Ukrinform

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp

Comment

Wladimir Klitschko Defended His Titles with a 5th Round KO Over Brave Kubrat Pulev

Wladimir Klitschko Defended His Titles with a 5th Round KO Over Brave Kubrat Pulev

Comment

RADIO FREE EUROPE November 29, 2015
        Klitschko's Heavyweight Reign Ends

Britain's Tyson Fury has defeated Wladimir Klitschko of Ukraine to become world heavyweight boxing champion.

The 27-year-old Fury won the titles of the three most important ranking organizations -- the IBF, WBO, and WBA -- in front of 45,000 spectators in the football stadium in Duesseldorf, Germany, late on November 28 after a unanimous points win over Klitschko, 39.

Klitschko's defeat, his first in 11 years, ended the Ukrainian's nine-and-a-half-year reign as heavyweight champion.

"It is still early and I have to process things but there will definitely be a rematch," Klitschko said after the fight.

He has held the IBF belt since 2006, the WBO title since 2008, and the WBA crown since 2011.

Klitschko's older brother, Vitali, a former heavyweight boxing champion, is currently the major of Kyiv.

æ, !

Comment

It was quite a disappointing fight. Not just because Klitschko lost, but because it appeared as though Tyson Fury won so easily. It seemed as if Klitschko's fans cared more about the fight than he did. Hopefully the rematch will bring him well, but he has a lot of work ahead of him.

Comment

Notwithstanding the sport, 9 1/2 yrs is a long time to maintain one's championship.

æ, !

Comment

Originally posted by Hannia View Post
              Notwithstanding the sport, 9 1/2 yrs is a long time to maintain one's championship.
              Yes, indeed. I think his fans got used to the idea of him winning.

Comment

Klitschko to return on December 10 – with or without Joshua Former unified heavyweight champion Volodymyr Klitschko will return to the ring on December 10 – with or without IBF champion Anthony Joshua, according to BoxingScene.com.
                UNIAN 19 Oct 2016

A deal nearly complete for Klitschko (64-4, 53KOs) vs. Joshua (17-0, 17KOs) – but it's missing the final ingredient, the vacant WBA world title, BoxingScene.com wrote.

Klitschko lost the WBA belt last November when he was upset by Tyson Fury. There was rematch clause exercised by Klitschko, but Fury was withdrawn from two scheduled dates – and last week Fury vacated the WBA, WBO and IBO titles to focus on his mental health issues.

The respective promoters for Klitschko and Joshua have both submitted written requests to the WBA, asking the sanctioning body to approve their fight for the vacant title.

If the WBA approves the fight, then Klitschko vs. Joshua will take place on December 10 in Manchester. If the WBA denies their requests, then Joshua will still return on December 10 in Manchester – and Klitschko will also fight on the same date, but in Germany. The potential Plan B opponent for Joshua is Kubrat Pulev and Klitschko's potential Plan B opponent is Lucas Browne. If that happens, in the United States Showtime would carry Joshua's fight and HBO would carry Klitschko's fight.

The IBO has already agreed to sanction Klitschko's next fight, regardless of opponent, because of his top standing in their rankings. The WBA has a lot of baggage to overcome - with fighters like Browne and Fres Oquendo having legal standing to fight Klitschko for that belt.

"For Volodymyr, it's absolutely the most important [detail] that the WBA will sanction his next fight – regardless of the opponent. Volodymyr has always been a very loyal and committed WBA champion and the WBA, for him, has always been a very, very important belt. It's very important to him that whoever he fights in the next fight, the WBA and the IBO is on board. The IBO has already said that they are on board for whoever Volodymyr fights, because he's number 1 for the vacant title and also under the WBA, so now we have to see what the WBA rules as the next step -and hopefully quickly because Volodymyr wants to fight this year," said Klitschko's manager Bernd Boente to BoxingScene.com.

"Volodymyr would like to fight on December 10, because our TV partner RTL – that's the last possible date. After that there is no further possibility before March, April. They never show boxing fights in January, February."

"For Volodymyr it's very important that the WBA belt will on the line in his next fight, and I think it also shows that for Volodymyr – that his intentions are not to just to cash in, because there is absolutely no doubt that this fight with Joshua is not comparably [financially] to any other name for our TV partner RTL. You can imagine that whoever will be in the ring, it will probably be half of the license fee that they would pay for a Joshua fight."

"If this fight with Anthony Joshua will not happen this year – if they both win their upcoming fights – then this fight could happen next year, next summer for example, in a stadium in Germany or England."

Klitschko to return on December 10 – with or without Joshua

æ, !

Comment

Hopefully he can save face with the next fight.

Comment

Klitschko Would Want Farewell Fight at Olimpiyskiy in Ukraine
                    BOXINGSCENE.COM 3/27/2017
                    Vadim Pushkin Klitschko Would Want Farewell Fight at Olimpiyskiy in Ukraine

Former world heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko has a lot of interest in holding his final career bout at Olimpiyskiy National Sports Complex in Ukraine. The venue could hold over 70,000 fans.

Klitschko (64-4, 53 KOs), 41 years old, admits that he's nearing the end of his career.

On April 29th, before a crowd of 90,000 fans at Wembley in London, Klitschko will challenge IBF heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua (18-0, 18 KOs). The vacant WBA, IBO world titles are also going to be at stake.
                    - See more at: Klitschko Would Want Farewell Fight at Olimpiyskiy in Ukraine - Boxing News

Former world heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko has a lot of interest in holding his final career bout at Olimpiyskiy National Sports Complex in Ukraine. The venue could hold over 70,000 fans.

Klitschko (64-4, 53 KOs), 41 years old, admits that he's nearing the end of his career.

On April 29th, before a crowd of 90,000 fans at Wembley in London, Klitschko will challenge IBF heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua (18-0, 18 KOs). The vacant WBA, IBO world titles are also going to be at stake.

Klitschko Would Want Farewell Fight at Olimpiyskiy in Ukraine - Boxing News

æ, !

Comment

In Ukraine and with Anthony Joshua, Klitschko brothers join forces again
                      LA TIMES Lance Pugmire April 27, 2017

http://www.trbimg.com/img-59023e29/t...ge/750/750x422
                      Wladimir Klitschko, right, sits with brother Vitali Klitschko and coach Jonathan Banks while watching Anthony Joshua practice during a public workout April 26 at Wembley Stadium. (Gerry Penny / European Pressphoto Agency)

Wladimir Klitschko has an imposing challenge to return from nearly an 18-month absence from boxing and defeat unbeaten champion Anthony Joshua, who’s 18-0 with 18 knockouts.

What helps the 41-year-old Klitschko (64-4, 53 KOs) as he pursues tying Muhammad Ali and his older brother, Vitali Klitschko, in becoming a three-time heavyweight champion are the daily mountainous tasks his brother endures.

As mayor of Kiev, Ukraine, Vitali Klitschko finds himself charged with keeping order and calm among five million people where tension with Russia remains a constant, and refugees stream in from the south and east borders.

This fight, to be staged Saturday in front of 90,000 at Wembley Stadium (1:15 p.m. Pacific time on Showtime), has afforded the brothers a reunion to briefly set aside the obsessive responsibilities thrust upon Vitali and focus on the younger brother’s fight.

A Klitschko victory Saturday eases the strain of the governing duties that resume Monday.

“Ukrainians are going through a lot of challenges — geopolitical, economical — and those challenges need good motivation,” Wladimir said after his news conference with Joshua.

“Sports, as Nelson Mandela said, has the power to change the world, change motivation, change a lot of things. In this crazy world — and I call it crazy because we’ve seen actions in the past, terrible events — a violent sport such as boxing shows that, through sports, you can clarify each other’s differences under the rules and then continue your life.

“There’s a lot of lesson in sport.”

Wladimir Klitschko is one fight away from tying Muhammad Ali as a three-time champion, or from retirement

Vitali has been a constant by his brother’s side this fight week. The pair sat by each other at Joshua’s public workout Wednesday and studied his every move with fierce attention.

While Wladimir downplayed the scene, saying he did it “because I’m fighting him,” Vitali confided he saw intimidation from the fighter who’s 14 years younger and was an Olympic champion 16 years after his opponent.

“Joshua is fighting two brothers,” Vitali said. “I can see it’s a little bit scary for Joshua. Wladimir has never been in such great shape.”

While a rematch clause exists for the loser, Joshua promoter Eddie Hearn says a one-sided Joshua victory defuses interest in a second fight. And after losing three of his heavyweight belts to Tyson Fury in a lethargic loss by unanimous decision in November 2015, Wladimir could retire in defeat.

Would he consider politics or assisting his brother in his next career?

“We have one politician in the family. Do we really need another one?” Wladimir asked.

When he has visited Vitali in Kiev, Wladimir said he’s struck by the enormous scale of a mayor’s work.

“Pretty often, the people think I’m Vitali and they’re coming to me with their problems to tell me, ‘The streets need to be better,’ ‘I need a better salary, better medical care,’ that ‘my electricity doesn’t work in the building,” Wladimir said.

“Whatever the mayor can take care of, people approach me and think I can help them. I tell them, ‘Guys, I want to do good, but I can’t help you.’ They say, ‘Why? You’re the mayor.’ I say, ‘No, I’m not!’ They ask if I quit my job. I say, ‘No, I’m Wladimir. Not the mayor.’”

In that sense, after Vitali has also endured physical abuse seeking to assist his countryman, fighting a less experienced man in the ring doesn’t seem as daunting for the veteran fighter known as “Doctor Steelhammer.”

“When I hear these problems, I think Vitali is in a much bigger fight than he’s ever been in his career,” Wladimir said.

“It’s something where you don’t have to think about just one opponent. Boxing, there are rules. Politics, there are flexible rules and you don’t see your opponents standing in the ring. There are a lot of sharks under the water and you don’t know what they’re doing.” In Ukraine and with Anthony Joshua, Klitschko brothers join forces again - LA Times

æ, !

Comment

Both Showtime and HBO to show Joshua-Klitschko fight
                        AP 1:03 p.m. ET April 17, 2017

Anthony Joshua's heavyweight title defense against longtime champion Wladimir Klitschko will be broadcast on both Showtime and HBO in the United States.

The two premium cable networks worked out an unusual agreement to televise the April 29 fight from London, with Showtime airing the fight live and HBO doing it later in the evening on a delayed broadcast.

Both networks will use their own announcers for the bout.

Joshua, the British 2012 Olympic gold medalist, has fought exclusively for Showtime, while Klitschko has long had a deal with HBO for his fights.

The fight, which is expected to draw 90,000 to Wembley Stadium, features an undefeated champion in the big-hitting Joshua (18-0, 18 KOs) against Klitschko (64-4, 53 KOs), the long-running champion who lost his titles to Tyson Fury in his last fight in 2015.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ght/100567126/

æ, !

Comment

Ukrainian Boxer Klitschko Loses Title Fight To U.K.’s Joshua
                          RADIO FREE EUROPE April 29, 2017

Ukrainian boxing legend Vladimir Klitschko lost to Anthony Joshua of the U.K. in a world heavyweight title fight stopped in the 11th round.

The April 29 fight, before a crowd of 90,000 people at London’s Wembley Arena, was stopped after the 41-year-old Klitschko took a flurry of punches in the corner during the 11th round.

With the victory, Joshua added the WBA title to his IBF crown. He has now won all 19 of his professional fights.

Klitschko knocked the 27-year-old Joshua to the canvas in the sixth round.

Klitschko was also knocked to the floor in the fifth round and twice more in the 11th.

"The best man won tonight and it's a massive event for boxing," Klitschko told Sky Sports.

"Two gentleman fought each other. Anthony was better today. It's really sad I didn't make it tonight."

Klitschko, who dominated the heavyweight division for nearly a decade, lost his WBA, IBF, and WBO titles to underdog Tyson Fury in Duesseldovaliamtrf in November 2015.

He is also an Olympic winner, having won a gold medal at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta.
                          Ukrainian Boxer Klitschko Loses Title Fight To U.K.’s Joshua
                          -----------------------------------------
                          It was a valiant fight, but Klitschko is 41 and Joshua is 27.

æ, !

Comment

Joshua on board for Klitschko rematch, principality stadium eyed – media World heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua declared he was willing to give Wladimir Klitschko a rematch after his 11th-round win on Saturday, but the Ukrainian would not confirm he would box again, according to Boxing Scene.
                            UNIAN 01 May 2017

https://images.unian.net/photos/2017...4407-1344.jpeg

The Briton successfully defended his International Boxing Federation (IBF) world heavyweight title for the third time and claimed the vacant World Boxing Association (WBA) and International Boxing Organization belts against the former champion after an epic battle was settled by Joshua's 19th consecutive stoppage, Boxing Scene reports.

In a wildly exciting fight, which swung one way and then the other, Joshua sealed victory during a thunderous 11th round.

"I don't mind fighting him again, if he wants the rematch," Joshua said at a press conference after the fight in front of 90,000 fans at Wembley Stadium.
                            "Big respect to Wladimir for challenging the young lions of the division. It's up to him, I don't mind. As long as Rob [McCracken, Joshua's trainer] thinks it's good I'm good to go."

Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn said that if a rematch were to take place in the UK later this year, it would likely be at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff, which has a roof.

"It was one of the best heavyweight fights I've seen and Klitschko will probably say he wants a rematch," Hearn told reporters. "Whether he feels the same on reflection I don't know. We're not opening negotiations with any other fighter until he knows what he wants to do."

"If people don't want to see a rematch, it won't happen. If people want to see a rematch, it's likely to happen. It's more likely to be at [the Principality Stadium] if it's in the UK, or it might take us to a new territory."

https://www.unian.info/society/19027...yed-media.html

æ, !

Comment

Wladimir Klitschko to announce decision on his boxing future May 27 Former two-time world heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko will announce his decision on his future in boxing on Ukrainian Inter TV channel on May 27, according to Boxing News.
                              UNIAN 18 May 2017

Right now, there are at least four options for Ukrainian legend, who dominated heavyweight division for the whole decade: retirement, rematch with Anthony Joshua, another rout for his third world title – fight against WBC champion Deontay Wilder of WBO champion Joseph Parker and a farewell fight in Kyiv, Boxing News wrote.

As UNIAN reported earlier, on April 29, in a very important battle for the IBF, WBA, IBO heavyweight titles, a record crowd of 90,000 fans saw Anthony Joshua (19-0, 19 KOs) get off the floor, score three knockdowns of his own, to stop Wladimir Klitschko (64-5, 54 KOs) in the eleventh round.

https://www.unian.info/society/19293...re-may-27.html

æ, !

Comment

Working...
                              X