Cheating in school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheating in school

I would like to open a debate on cheating in schools worldwide.

I would like to share a short story with you.
    My elder colleague Stas was once a postgraduate/doctoral student in the USA in the seventies. He stayed at the University in Arizona (Tucson) and then in Texas.
    After some time he was sent to have exercises with the regular university students. After a series of meetings he prepared a test for students.
    Having a Polish educational background, he acted like he used to in Warsaw University of Technology. He asked students to change there places so that distance between them increased considerably. They were surprised but they obeyed. The same situation happened second time. When he started his usual procedure third time, one of the students could not help asking a polite question: "Excuse me, why are you doing so?"
    Stas was smart enough to smell something strange and he replied: "It is just to make you feel more at ease" but later on, he asked the student mentioned above: Why did you find it so surprising?
    The student was astonished: "It is me who is surprised". Stas said: "I was afraid you would cheat by exchanging information which should not be shared". The student was more than astonished. "Excuse me Sir, why would I need to do so? Any of my colleagues is my future competitor. Why am I supposed to unnecessarily strengthen their position? No need to do such things".

Stas remembered his lesson very well.

What do you think about this situation? It is still a problem in Poland and maybe in Ukraine, too. In Poland, this issue is often neglected or even mocked as not fit enough for serious debate.
    In fact, I have already started this discussion in History board but the actual board fits better I think.
    http://www.ukraine.com/forums/showth...0&pagenumber=3

In Poland, 'odpisyvanye' and many, many other forms of cheating are surely rooted in our history. Deplorably, the up-to-date technologies are employed in these morally doubtful deeds. Students in Poland are generally not punished enough or even forgiven when caught red-handed on cheating.
    I would appreciate any replies of young people, students and their parents to my story. Let us make our world a better place to live as a community of moral principle.

On another thread

Drogi Zbyszku,

I hope you are well and they will find it!! (you know what I mean).
    Anyway, quite by mistake I immediately followed your idea to write about 'cheating', however I did it on history thread..., under 'Petro Mohyla &...'.
    Please, have a look;

http://www.ukraine.com/forums/showthread.php3?
    postid=45997#post45997

I find this subject quite interesting and wonder if there are any far-reaching consequences of cheating (at schools)at a later stage in life?
    Anyway, I do hope other disputants express their own view, too!

Looking forward to your posts
    Halinka

Comment

Memorising verbal DiaRRHOEA makes many innocent children actually do that. It is much healthier that they just copy, it word for word, from the Bible. Some also get worried that if they make a mistake they will get a thrashing. Some even have nervous breakdowns. In my French classes at high school EVERY one used to cheat. It was terrible though. The first time a lady picked me up, hitch- hiking in France, I began to speak to her in French. She instantly felt sorry for me and broke into perfect English, with a French accent, of course.
      France

Comment

Cheating in life

Originally posted by Volodya987
        Memorising verbal DiaRRHOEA makes many innocent children actually do that. It is much healthier that they just copy, it word for word, from the Bible. Some also get worried that if they make a mistake they will get a thrashing. Some even have nervous breakdowns. In my French classes at high school EVERY one used to cheat. It was terrible though. The first time a lady picked me up, hitch- hiking in France, I began to speak to her in French. She instantly felt sorry for me and broke into perfect English, with a French accent, of course.
        France
        Cheating in school means cheating in life. Surely, it is a broad matter and teachers are sometimes guilty as well. In modern school, learning by heart is less and less popular but in my country cheating is still very popular. Many times modern technology is employed in the cheating process. Cell phones with the Internet access, "calculators" with extra functions and so on.
        From time to time, leaking of the exam subjects happens, usually when someone offers "the best results" for the accessible price.

Comment

Very Nice...Z

HiYa,

Cheating is just what Vg wants.

Camster

Comment

Re: Very Nice...Z

Originally posted by CameoJoey
            HiYa,

Cheating is just what Vg wants.

Camster
            Hi Cameo, frankly I'd expect more sophisticated remarks of you. I remember that a year ago your voice was definitely more analytical and serious. I wonder what happened to this forum in general. I think technical problems which nade the posting process more difficult discouraged some valuable disputants. I really can not find any serious discussion in any category. You would not believe how easily people in the communist countries found alibi for themselves about their cheating in school. I will give you one example: a priest noticed a stiffled but hot dispute between two students during the important test. Soon he understood that one student strongly DEMANDS help from the other one. He immediately took a side of the less educated guy addressing a good student: boy, turn out to be a good Christian at last and give him a little help!
            VG has nothing to do with this issue I am sure.

Comment

Middle School at the Russian-American International School

We are extremely proud to announce that our school will offer 6th grade in 2013-2014 school year!
              That will be the beginning of a new Academy of Math and Science middle school.

Where is the new school located?
              The 6th grade will be at our current location at 1250 Quintara Street. When RAIS moves to a new building ( to be confirmed and announced in late March 2013), the middle school will be offered there.
              In other words, regardless of the school location, there WILL BE 6th grade next school year.

Who can apply?
              Public and private school students with talent and passion for math and science who are currently in the fifth grade may apply.

How many students will be in 6th grade?
              Minimum 1, maximum is 12 students in class.

Will there be classes in Russian like in the elementary school?
              No. All subjects will be held in English, taught by highly professional and experienced English-speaking teachers. Russian will be offered as a foreign language, 4 classes a week.

What are the admission requirements to enter 6th grade?
              Our current 5th graders are automatically admitted.
              For all other applicants: a strong academic record—that is, good grades (especially in math and science) and teacher recommendations. Students who will gain admission to RAIS’s 6th grade must earn A's or B’s in math and science classes in elementary school, and be above proficient on standardized test scores. Additionally, admitted students demonstrate a genuine passion for math and science.

How do students apply to 6th grade?
              1) Admission begins on November 7th , 2012
              2) Applicants contact the school office to obtain an application form with student and parent information sections
              3) Complete the application form and return it to RAIS accompanied by a non-refundable $75.00 assessment fee.
              4) Come for the assessment: once your completed application and assessment fee have been received, RAIS contacts the family to schedule a day when their child comes to RAIS for a full school day to:
              o take English and Math test ( 30-45 minutes each), and
              o “shadow” our current 5th graders, which will provide a chance for the applicant to fully experience how our school works, and for the school faculty to observe the student to ensure he or she demonstrates high level of proficiency in English and Math.

When is the deadline for applications?
              Applications are due December 26th, 2012

What is the tuition for 6th grade?
              For applicants from other schools the monthly tuition will be $1250.00

What are the school hours?
              The school day begins at 9:00 AM and ends at 3:30 PM.

May students apply as seventh, eighth or ninth graders?
              Due to the specialized curriculum only incoming sixth graders may apply.

Russian-American International School
              russian american international school  - Home
              1250 Quintara Street
              San Francisco, CA 94116
              Tel.(415) 665-5467

Comment

Working...
              X