Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview - Video games around the world

Hello !

I'm a french student in Game Design and I really need the help from an ukrainian player

With my school and my teacher (who is a journalist) we have the project to write a paper about video games around the world, it will maybe by published in France. I choose Ukraine because it's an interesting and beautiful country, but I can't read the alphabet :/ So here I am ! I'm have to do 3 interviews : from a player, a journalist and a professionnal.

I already take contact with professionnals and I'm still looking for the journalist, but I am here for the player So, if you're an Ukrainian player I have a few questions :

1) Do people play video games since a long time in Ukraine ?

2) Do you play more on PC or on console ?

3) What type of games are liked in your country ? (Ex : horror, FPS, etc...)

4) Is one game in particular a reference in Ukraine ?

5) Who play video game ? Rich people, poor people ? What age ?

6) Do japanese or american consoles were always available in the past ? Or were there fake ?

Oooops !
    Send it to fast x)

Thanks to the people who will take the time to respond me

Comment

Astor, some of the top gamers in the world are Ukrainians.

http://www.ukraine.com/forums/comput...top-gamer.html

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp

Comment

Astor, I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier.

I'm not a Ukrainian player, but I can tell you some of what I know and have seen. I think for the youth (and as particularly pointed out by Hannia's article), they have been playing for most of their lives. PC are more common and in the past you would see kid's playing in Internet cafe's between each other. Not sure if this is still common. I have seen FPS to be somewhat popular but I don't know which is most popular.

I hope the project worked out.

See whats been posted in the past day.

Contact forum moderators here.

Comment

Danil "Dendi" Ishutin - Summary :: e-Sports Earnings

æ, !

Comment

Life as a Video Game Fan in Ukraine
            by Patrick Klepek on April 24, 2014

Roman Vasylyshen's home has been in the news lately, and not for the best of reasons.

Only one-in-six Americans can find Ukraine on a map, according to a recent poll. It’s likely most players have only heard of Ukraine because it’s where 4A Games, developer behind the Metro series, is located.

Ukraine has been in the news lately, and it hasn’t been for encouraging reasons.

Both 4A Games and Roman Vasylyshen, a 23-year-old university student working to earn his diploma in labor law, are located in Kiev. Kiev is both the capital and largest city in Ukraine, and it's been at the center of political and social unrest, as the instability in Ukraine continues.

Vasylyshen contacted me through a private message on Giant Bomb earlier in the week with a few questions, and we started chatting about various subjects. Upon learning he’s living in Kiev, I asked if he’d be willing to chat with me about his experience with gaming in Ukraine.

Given what's happening in Ukraine right now, Vasylyshen does (shock!) present some personal beliefs about the situation regarding Ukraine. Geopolitics don't come up very often here at Giant Bomb, so please be cool about that, should you choose to start typing in the comments.

(Full disclosure: Vasylyshen, who goes by SnakeVSGiant Bomb on the site, does not speak great English, so I cleaned up our email conversation to be more readable.)

Giant Bomb: Can you describe what it’s like in Kiev for you right now? Most people know Kiev because it’s in the news right now.

Roman Vasylyshen: It's interesting in Kiev right now. There are no people running with guns on the streets--most of the time. Sometimes there are certain incidents involving guns, but it's few and far between. Mostly, it's safe now. I mean, it's not February, when it was a little bit scary, to tell the truth. Little by little, we are trying to rebuild parts of Maidan [the central square in Kiev] that were destroyed during this revolution. There a lot of political campaigns from different politicians all over Ukraine. We have secured elections for May 25, but if Putin [the president of Russia] acts like he acted so far, it will be tough to elect someone. There is a lot of false information all over the news, all over the world, especially in Russia. I am not trying to say I know everything, but I know a thing or two about the situation in my country better than most news reporters.

GB: Tell us a little bit about your background. Did you grow up in Kiev? Have you always been playing games? What kinds?

Vasylyshen: I was born in a small town in the southwest part of Ukraine. I moved to Kiev when I was a year old, and been here ever since. Right now, I am finishing my time in university to get my diploma in law, specifically labor law.

I started playing games around three or four-years-old. The first console I played was the Mega Drive, and it was amazing--Mortal Kombat 3 and Desert Strike. Then, about year later, I asked my parents for a console on my birthday. But since it was a difficult time in our country--plus, my parents didn't know anything about consoles--they bought me a "Dendy”. A “Dendy” was an Nintendo Entertainment System, but they were stripped out of plastic and put in other boxes because that how things were at the time. I loved this little beast, and played it every day.

Then, a few years later, I got a PC, which was my main platform for games until about 2006, when I bought a PSP. Now, I have a 3DS, Vita, PS3 (I sold my DS and PSP, Wii, and Xbox 360). I play almost everything, from RPGs to racing sims--you name it. The most recent fun I had with games is probably Dark Souls 2. Man, what a game.

GB: Do you find it weird that people suddenly care about Kiev? Or do you see this as an opportunity?

Vasylyshen: It's a little weird. As far as I know, until recent events, most Americans didn't even knew about Ukraine, and now everybody is head-over-heels about our problems. It's fine with me, but so far, big American and European politicians hadn't made a single valuable move. With sanctions, Russia doesn't care. Signing treaties is the same. I mean, international law doesn't work. As far as an opportunity, yes. We need to utilize our every resource, and be more open to the world. Let everybody see that most of our people are hard working, educated and decent folk. That’s not all of them, but nobody is perfect, right?

GB: I cannot imagine there are a bunch of game shops in Kiev, but maybe I’m wrong! How do you play games in Kiev?

Vasylyshen: There are a ton of piracy. It’s not as bad as 2000 or so, but still. I mean, imagine that only way you could get a game is buy it in a official store where it was burned on a disc 15 minutes ago. Now, there are some magazines that resell games that they buy either in the US or Europe. In Kiev, there are two GameStops, but they are mostly bad when it comes to games. Consoles? Yes. Games? Not so much. Most of my friends are pirating games, especially on Xbox 360 and PC. PS3? Not so much. And I am no saint. I used to do it to, but it was the only method to get games. Nowadays, I mostly use Steam and PlayStation Store to buy games digitally. Recent price drops are doing their thing.

GB: In Kiev, do you have a chance to connect with other gamers? Do you guys meet up and play games together, or just huddle online?

Vasylyshen: I met my first friend, who I’ve known for 17 years, when we exchanged cartridges for our "Dendies.” As far as connecting, I am not really a super-social Internet dude. I don't like online games. I don't have Twitter, Tumblr, or even an Instagram account. I am not a social outcast, and I like to spend time with my friends or new people face-to-face. Recently, we started tournaments on the couch, with Samurai Gunn being everybody's favorite.

GB: You try to buy some games legally through Steam and PlayStation Network. What do your friends think of you doing that?

Vasylyshen: Not a lot of my friends play games, but the ones that play games are 50/50. Some approve, some disapprove. Because of the recent growth of free-to-play (mostly due to DOTA), a lot of them started to use Steam. Some even buy games. The main problem is that minimum wage is $200-a-month for most working folks. For example, right now a new PlayStation 4 game costs around $80. And on top of that, right now there is a crisis. Prices are getting higher, pay is not. All of the games I have now, I legally own them. Having studied law for six years, and being a normal human being, I know that I have to pay for my products, whether it's games or movies or whatever.

GB: Can you talk about what platforms most people play on? My suspicion would be the PC.

Vasylyshen: Yes, PC all the way--most pirated and most played. Next, I would say PSP, PS3, 360, 3DS. After that, probably PS1 and PS2--yes, people still play those in my country.

GB: Do you find that games are an escape for you, given the political turmoil in your country right now?

Vasylyshen: Yes and no. I mean, games are always, in a way, an escape route from the real world and its problems. But it's really hard to play games when some serious stuff going on in your city or country. As I wrote on the Giant Bomb forums, the first thing I thought when all of this started to happen is to leave and go somewhere else. Then, I thought about it and decided I should probably stay. It's not super bad over here, and I love my country too much to leave it. Maybe later but not now.

GB: Looking at the list of games made in Ukraine, there’s a certain theme: war, fighting. Why do you think that is?

Vasylyshen: There are a lot of war-influenced games made in Ukraine, that's true. But almost every one of those game have a special meaning behind them.

Take Cossacks, for example. It’s a game about a democratic semi-military people who fought for Ukraine. (If anyone cares to read up about our history, there is always someone trying to invade us or kill our people.) We are by no means aggressive or violent people, but when your neighbors are taking parts of your country (like Crimea), you have to think about what you going to do next.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Man, what a game. So many bugs, but such a powerful atmosphere. (Which is a double for us, since Chernobyl is no joke.)

Last and not least. my favorite is Metro. Enough has been said about this game by many game journalists before me, and I have only one thing to add: it was made in Ukraine.

GB: You told me privately there’s a bit of an indie scene in the Ukraine. What’s that like? Any games we might know?

Vasylyshen: Yeah, there few games here and there. For example, Humans Must Answer, which was Quick Look’d by Brad, I believe. The Inner World is an adventure game. There are a bunch of others here.

GB: Do you think there is a future for video games in Kiev and Ukraine? What’s that future like?

Vasylyshen: I think there is a future for video games in Ukraine. A lot of our games are good but buggy, since there is not really a lot of testers or money. There are not a lot of big-time companies like 4A Games, but there some smaller ones. Most of the games are being outsourced or developed on mobile platforms. Many of our guys are working in big companies across the world. My hope that is with rise of platforms like Steam, and with Microsoft and Sony trying to be more open, more games will be made. One of the biggest problem is there are almost no game journalists in Ukraine. There some amateurs or sites, but most of them are Russian, and most of them just stealing the news, or just translating games. Life as a Video Game Fan in Ukraine - Giant Bomb

æ, !

Comment

JOBS - Game Development & Graphic Design

Gameloft
              Game developer Gameloft opens office in Lviv for 50-100 new employees
              By Ukraine Digital News, AIN.UA / Dec 02, 2014

International game developer Gameloft is opening a second office in Ukraine. The company has operated in Kharkiv (Kharkov) since 2007, but now announces plans to open a Lviv (Lvov) location.

Evgeniy Birenbaum, HR manager at the company’s Kharkov office, said that the company intends to hire 50-100 new employees at the Lviv office, with the first ones already working on site.

The Lviv office, located on Science Street, is currently seeking artists, 2D and 3D graphic designers, game designers, game producers, and C++ developers. It is intended that the office will offer a full cycle of development of video games.

Gameloft develops games for all platforms, including iOS, Android, and consoles. The company maintains offices around the world, operating in New York, San Francisco, Mexico, Paris, London, Vienna, Milan, and in other cities.

According to Newzoo, Ukraine is one of the top 50 countries in terms of revenue for the gaming industry, while Gameloft finds itself among the top 20 international IT companies maintaining development centers in Ukraine.

Source: AIN.UA ТОП-20 международных IT-компаний, у которых в Украине находятся крупнейшие центры разработки - AIN.UA

æ, !

Comment

Game Proceeds Go to UA Arm

Patriotic game created in Zaporozhye with proceeds to go to the army
                By Ukraine Digital News, AIN.UA / Nov 27, 2014

GBKSOFT, a team of mobile app developers from Zaporizhia (Zaporozhye), has released a game for iOS devices called Defend Ukraine. The app, which is available i Ukrainian, Russian and English languages, can be purchased in AppStore for $0.99. All money from sales will be sent to Wings Phoenix, a volunteer organization that supports the Ukrainian army.

The point of the game is to click very quickly on regions on a map where a donkey appears against the background of the Russian flag. The donkey bears a strong resemblance to the president of the country neighboring Ukraine. As the game proceeds, the Russian flag appears more and more often on Ukrainian territory, so the player must have a fast reaction time to win.

“We understand that most people don’t have any mpre strength or opportunity to help our country’s defenders, so we decided to release a game dedicated to the heroes fighting on the frontlines,” Denis Vorobyov, one of the game’s developers, commented. GBKSOFT says it will begin working on an Android version of the app in the near future.

This is not the first case of app developers helping the Ukrainian army. Kharkov developers from the Janepublish studio recently created an Android game called Kozak: Dress a Ukrainian Soldier, which is supposed to help Ukrianian soldiers in the conflict zone. The game is free, but its creators promise to use all profits from mobile advertising for the purchase of warm clothes for the soldiers.
                Patriotic game created in Zaporozhye with proceeds to go to the army | Ukraine Digital News

æ, !

Comment

Game on for Ukraine's video games makers despite conflict
                  AFP Katherine Haddon November 19, 2014 5:52 AM

Kiev (AFP) - With empty pizza boxes and coffee cups littering the desks of bearded young programmers, Frogwares looks like any other successful video games company, even though this is not California, but Kiev.

The firm's latest game, "Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments", featuring the legendary London detective, was released worldwide in September to positive reviews. Its 80 staff are already working on a sequel.

However as the conflict in eastern Ukraine drags on, employees do so against a backdrop of instability which raises questions for the future of the country's growing IT industry as well as the nation itself.

While the stylised Victorian England of "Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments" is a virtual world away from the war-torn Donbass, a reference to Ukraine's political situation has crept into the game.

It features a splash screen -- a screen that appears when the game is loading -- mentioning the "Heavenly Hundred", which is the collective name for those who died in protests on Kiev's Independence Square, known as Maidan, earlier this year. The action there led into the current unrest.

"When Maidan started, many people at the studio were involved with it," said Frogwares CEO Wael Amr.

"We started to think about thanking the people that gave their lives in Maidan... and so we voted for implementing a splash screen".

That led to its publisher in Russia refusing to release the game there and in a string of other former Soviet states. But Frogwares refused to back down and the game is now available in Russia as a download.

Other than this, the conflict has had little direct impact on Frogwares, said Amr, a 39-year-old Frenchman in a hooded top who started the company in 2000.

But he added: "Of course, there is this constant pressure that we don't know what is going to happen tomorrow.

- 'Keep an eye on the news' -

Ukraine has a strong reputation for talent in the video games industry, thanks in part to its education system's traditional strength in maths and engineering, a Soviet-era legacy, plus the relative cheapness of labour.

It has produced a string of big name hits including the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, set in the aftermath of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant disaster in 1986.

But industry figures speak of a sense of uncertainty as they watch to see how the conflict in the east, in which Russia strongly denies any military involvement despite Western accusations, develops.

While big international gaming names such as Ubisoft still have offices in Kiev, 4A Games, one of the biggest Ukrainian firms, moved its headquarters to Malta in May. It has kept a studio in the Ukrainian capital.

Oleg Yavorsky, PR and marketing director of Vostok Games, another leading Kiev studio, said they had discussed relocating earlier this year but decided against it.

"In Kiev, it's calm but we constantly keep an eye on the news," he added.

Sergiy Galyonkin, who has worked in the gaming industry for 20 years and writes a blog on it, predicted that some could leave if the situation gets significantly worse.

"In gaming, most people I know do have a backup plan," he added. "They're ready to pack up their things and leave the country, but it's not like they're leaving right now."

- 'Pick up laptop, grab family' -

Video gaming is part of a much broader, multi-billion dollar IT sector in Ukraine.

One of its biggest names is Ciklum, which develops software for companies around the world and employs some 2,500 staff in six Ukrainian cities.

The firm's Danish CEO, Torben Majgaard, said that figure used to be seven until they left the eastern city of Donetsk in April due to escalating violence.

He is optimistic that Ukraine's IT sector can help the country's economy grow significantly in the coming years.

Majgaard contrasted how oligarchs are key players in major Ukrainian industries such as electricity and gas, with how the IT sector spreads wealth among the middle class.

"I most certainly see the IT industry as being the one that can really help change Ukraine over the next decade," he said.

For the country as for the industry, though, much depends on how the conflict develops.

And Galyonkin argued that, even if the situation in Ukraine does worsen significantly, it will not be talented individuals working in gaming and IT who suffer most.

"In creative industries, you just pick up your laptop, grab your family, move abroad and find a new job," he said.
                  Game on for Ukraine's video games makers despite conflict - Yahoo News

æ, !

Comment

'Battle For Donetsk' Video Game Is Not About Winning, But Education
                    By Charles Poladian | Mon, 2015-03-23 11:36

Belgian game studio LuGus Studios has developed "Battle for Donetsk," a mobile game that has no winners. The anti-war game was created to raise awareness about the current eastern Ukraine conflict and educate a larger audience on what exactly is happening in the region.

The fighting in eastern Ukraine between pro-Russian separatists and Ukrainian forces continues despite several failed attempts to establish ceasefires in the region. The conflict has included the annexation of Crimea, economic sanctions against Russia, the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17, and has led to 6,000 deaths and close to a million displaced citizens.

"Battle for Donetsk is a war game with an anti-war message. It’s a confronting, topical game," LuGus Studios said on its website. "With this game, LuGus Studios does not wish to take a political stance and does not condone violence and conflict. On the contrary, our aim is to raise awareness of the conflict in Ukraine."

"Battle for Donetsk" can be played in your browser and is available in the Google Play store for Android devices. The studio explains the eastern Ukraine conflict only indirectly affects Belgians -- such as more expensive fruit and gas due to economic sanctions -- and the developers wanted to create something that could be accessible and insightful.

The game starts off by having the player choose on which side they want to play in the conflict. You can accumulate points that let you pay for soldiers, medics and tanks. The player's choice affects how the game advances, but it's not as simple as beating the other side.

"Tactical decisions and a great deal of bloodshed will allow the player to win the skirmish. A military victory will result in a game over screen displaying a high civilian death toll and other collateral damage which will make the player think about the current situation in Ukraine," reads the game's description on Indie DB. 'Battle For Donetsk' Video Game Is Not About Winning, But Education

æ, !

Comment

U.S. Sanctions Block Crimeans From World of Warcraft, Diablo III
                      Warcraft, Diablo III The Moscow Times Apr. 07 2015 20:14

A screenshot of Battle.net, the online gaming platform developed by Blizzard Entertainment.

Crimean gamers were locked out of playing popular online multiplayer games World of Warcraft and Diablo III on Tuesday, as the games' publisher was forced to suspend the accounts in compliance with Western sanctions.

Major U.S Internet and tech companies such as Apple, Google and PayPal have suspended services to Crimean users over the last year. The United States in December barred U.S.-registered companies from investing in Crimea or providing services to companies there.

Video game developer Blizzard, renowned worldwide for smash-hit titles such as World of Warcraft and the Diablo series of video games joined the chorus on Tuesday, Russian game news site Geektimes.ru reported, citing a copy of the company's notice.

"In accordance with current trade regulations relating to the region of Crimea, we are legally required to suspend access to your Battle.net account," the company's notice read, Geektimes.ru reported.

Blizzard's World of Warcraft is a massive online multiplayer game that has become a global phenomenon, with millions of players subscribed to the game around the world.

Another title published by Blizzard, Diablo III, is no less popular, with 15 million copies sold gaming news site IGN.com reported in February, citing data provided by Blizzard's parent company, Activision. http://www.themoscowtimes.com/article.php?id=518781

æ, !

Comment

Gamers descend on Seattle to see pros face off in biggest e-sports event yet
                        Updated August 7, 2015 at 8:22 am SEATTLE TIMES Matt Day

About 12,000 video-game fans are crowding into KeyArena this week to watch teams of professional gamers square off in the International Dota 2 tournament.

It’s just shy of midnight on a Tuesday at the Mecca Cafe in Seattle’s Lower Queen Anne, and the kitchen staff is overwhelmed.

The late-night rush to the eateries near KeyArena could have followed a concert or basketball game. In this case, though, the mostly male crew of diners spilling out of booths and lining the counter has wandered two blocks from the arena after a nearly 12-hour marathon of watching video games.

As many as 12,000 people descended on KeyArena this week to watch teams of professional gamers square off in the International Dota 2 tournament. At stake in Saturday’s final round is a $6.5 million prize, part of an $18 million purse, the largest in e-sports history.

E-sports, as competitive video gaming is known, is big business and is now attracting the likes of Amazon and Microsoft. Increasingly, the Seattle area is a focus of the industry.

Tournaments like this week’s will dish out a combined $71 million in prize money this year, industry tracker Newzoo estimates. The firm expects total global e-sports revenue to pass $250 million this year, fueled by sponsorship deals, sales of merchandise and advertising.

E-sports promoters also highlight statistics showing some video-game matches draw more online viewers globally than the television audiences of major U.S. sporting events.

“From a numbers perspective, it’s truly massive,” said Bryce Blum, a 27-year-old Seattle lawyer who left his job at an established firm earlier this year to start his own practice advising e-sports teams and organizations. “The question is, what does it take to get mainstream?”

Popular awareness of e-sports is growing, but still largely limited to communities of gamers.

Most Seattleites know something about the Seahawks or Mariners. But many people would be hard-pressed to name any of the handful of leading e-sports games, much less the teams that participate.

Competitive video gaming has its roots in face-to-face competitions in the 1990s, hosted everywhere from community centers to hotel ballrooms and churches.

Late in the last decade, widespread Internet broadband and Web streaming on a global scale made it possible for players to compete from a distance, and for more viewers to tune in.

“There was this lightning-in-a-bottle moment” with the arrival of live streaming, said Marcus Graham, a former professional gamer and commentator who works for streaming service Twitch.

Hard evidence of a growing audience drew the attention of advertisers and sponsors, eventually including the likes of Coca-Cola.

“Before that, e-sports was footing that bill on its own,” Graham said.

In e-sports, analysts and industry insiders say, advertisers found a way to target an elusive audience: young, typically employed men who spend lots of cash on consumer goods but have unplugged from broadcast television and other popular media.

Last year, Amazon.com spent $970 million, the company’s largest-ever acquisition, to buy Twitch. And this week, Microsoft, historically a minor player in e-sports, put up $1 million in prize money in a bid to boost interest in its Halo franchise.

The Twitch deal raised the e-sports profile of the region, which has deep roots in video games as the home to Nintendo’s U.S. headquarters and Microsoft’s gaming arms.

Seattle has plenty of competition as a locus of e-sports. League of Legends and Call of Duty, two other popular e-sports titles, tend to hold their main events in the Los Angeles area, home to the developers behind those games. And many participants and sponsors in the industry are scattered from Eastern Europe to China.

It was a pair of former Microsoft employees who founded Valve, the Bellevue studio behind Dota and another e-sports favorite, Counter-Strike.

In Dota, a fantasy-themed multiplayer game, teams of five players pilot hero characters battling for control of a map.

To promote the coming release of Dota 2 in 2011, Valve sponsored a tournament that coincided with a major gaming-industry trade show in Germany. In 2012, they moved the tournament to Seattle’s Benaroya Hall.

The event outgrew that space two years later, settling at KeyArena in a configuration that put the teams in soundproof boxes, with giant screens above and live commentary broadcasting the action to the audience.

Outside the arena this week, Valve and a slate of hardware makers sold gamer-focused devices and apparel. The matches going on inside were beamed to a pair of large outdoor-video screens for players camping out by food trucks or the merchandise stands.

And in a reminder of the sometimes low-profile nature of the events, a woman passing by explained aloud to her companion, inaccurately, that the event was a place for people to buy computer games (Dota is free to play).

Katie Karpenko, a 23-year-old recent college graduate from Sacramento, Calif., who made the trip to Seattle for this week’s tournament, is used to that kind of misunderstanding. When she told friends she was traveling to attend a video-game tournament, the question was always the same: “Are you playing in it?”

Karpenko does play Dota — but says she isn’t nearly good enough to compete with the teams squaring off in Seattle.

E-sports boosters expect awareness to keep growing as the generation that’s always been around video games comes of age.

“I grew up in a generation where it was not uncommon for me to play sports with my friends, and play video games with my friends,” said Blum, the Seattle lawyer. “My kids will grow up in a world where that’s even more prevalent.”

Some professional video-game players have celebrity status in Asia, particularly in South Korea, an early leader in professional video-game squads.

But the U.S. is still waiting for the breakthrough player who helps legitimize the sport in the public consciousness, said Michael Pachter, a video-game and digital-media analyst with Wedbush Securities.

“Much like chess is a sport, and poker is a sport that we watch on television, they have to socialize the public to accept that it’s really a story,” he said.Gamers descend on Seattle to see pros face off in biggest e-sports event yet | The Seattle Times

æ, !

Comment

The Video Game Dream: A Pakistani Teen Gets Rich Quick in E-Sports
                          BLOOMBERG NEWS

Sumail Hassan made $200,000 after one month as a professional gamer in the U.S. His team, Evil Geniuses, will compete next week for more than $6 million.

In the spring of 2014, after a decade of visa problems, the Hassan family moved out of its spacious house in Karachi, Pakistan, to an apartment in Rosemont, a suburb of Chicago near O’Hare International Airport. They were a family of eight, two parents and six kids, jammed into a three-bedroom space. Money was tight and work unsteady; for most of them, the move was a struggle. But their 15-year-old son, Sumail, was thrilled—being in the U.S. meant less lag time when he played Dota 2.

Like League of Legends and other free multiplayer online games, Dota 2 (short for Defense of the Ancients 2) rewards obsessives such as Sumail. Set in a mythical world of ogres, magicians, and “faerie” dragons, two teams of five Heroes start on opposite corners of a square map scattered with forests and lava trenches and battle to take over the opposing team’s base. The one and only goal is to secure the opposing team’s Ancient—a fountain with rejuvenating power—before it gets yours. The gameplay moves as fast as basketball, but the complexity of characters, weapons, and spells rivals Dungeons & Dragons. Secure the Eye of Skadi and you can slow a charging attacker to a crawl. The Shadow Amulet will make you invisible long enough to slip behind an enemy line. And for a few select players, there’s more real-world money to be made at Dota 2 than any other game of its kind. The best of the best play at professional tournaments where teams compete for millions of dollars in prize money, and the most popular players can make around $1,000 just by streaming a game directly to their fans.

Sumail started playing Dota 2 as a 7-year-old. Now 16, he’s still small and spindly, with wide, soft eyes and skinny toothpick arms. In Chicago, he put in minimum effort at a local public high school, making no friends and doing no homework; instead he spent all his spare time racking up impressive amateur credentials in Dota 2. While some players are all strategy, analyzing the strengths of different characters and hanging back for the right time to strike, Sumail is pure reflex and aggression—the Dota 2 equivalent of a power forward. His favorite character is Storm Spirit, a quick, evasive avatar that fires lightning balls and drops decoys that injure enemies. Simply put, Sumail kills everything in sight.

After a few months in the U.S., he qualified to play in a North American “in-house league,” a sort of off-season competition for professional players. This was his shot, and it didn’t take long for him to get noticed. After Sumail slayed wave after wave of Enchantresses, Centaurs, and Zombies, Charlie Yang, a 26-year-old Dota 2 player-turned-manager, flew to Chicago from San Francisco to visit Sumail’s family.

Sumail’s mother, Huma, was there, but not his father, Tatheer, a construction manager who had returned to Pakistan on business. The mother’s English wasn’t good enough to understand Yang, so Sumail’s aunt and uncle helped translate. Yang said he managed Evil Geniuses, the highest-earning Dota 2 team in North America. The team would pay for Sumail to fly around the world for training and tournaments. He would earn a small stipend—less than $4,000 a month—but the real money would come from tournaments. After a 10 percent cut for the owners, prize money would be split among the team’s five players. The previous year’s prize pool at the International, the game’s biggest tournament, held annually in August, was more than $10 million.

Sumail’s mother said yes, as long as Sumail could still go to school. “She was a little anxious,” Yang says. “But I think it’s hard to deny your child an opportunity like this.” Yang visited Sumail’s teachers next, planning out his long absences. Yang set up a bank account for Sumail and had his tax forms done. A few weeks later, in February, Sumail and his teammates—each older than he by at least five years, and each a legend in the game—flew to Shanghai for the Dota 2 Asian Championships, with a prize for the winning team of $1.2 million.

Evil Geniuses was the third seed but, with Sumail’s help, it made it to the finals. Its opponent was a Chinese team called Vici Gaming, and the packed arena’s crowd was against them. In the first five minutes of Game Three—the last of the final—Sumail got killed four times without scoring a single kill. It was a devastating start, and the announcers said the game was basically over. But when the other team started scattering players, Sumail struck.

His avatar weakened, he shot across the field in a lightning ball and somehow scored four kills in two minutes, to the disbelief of the opposing team and the announcers commenting for the live crowd. Minutes later, he darted out of the woods to help his teammates in a skirmish and, in an explosion of fire and lightning, blasted three more enemy players to death. Before Vici could respond, Sumail rushed up the center of the map and secured the Ancient, winning the game and the tournament for Evil Geniuses. By the end, the crowd was chanting his name.

His payday after one month as a professional gamer, and just before his 16th birthday, was $200,000. By mid-August, he could be a millionaire.

By now, Cinderella stories like Sumail Hassan’s are a reliable staple of e-sports. These are, after all, games anyone can play at home, and the prevalence of high-speed Internet allows practically everyone to play everyone else in the world. The promise that a player can be plucked from obscurity and win huge prize money is part of what makes e-sports so popular—and it's wildly, crazily popular. About 27 million people watched the final of last year’s League of Legends championship, about 9 million more than watched the San Antonio Spurs clinch a stunning Game Five in the NBA Finals. And while many, including ESPN President John Skipper, maintain that e-sports aren’t a real sport at all—“It’s not a sport—it’s a competition,” he declared last year—that’s not keeping ESPN from covering the International Dota 2 world championships in August at Seattle’s KeyArena, where Sumail and his team will be competing for a grand prize of more than $6 million. As Sumail put it in one of his first interviews at the Asia tournament in February: “You have to go pro or just leave it. It’s a time waste if you’re not going full pro. It’s not for noobs.”

complete read A Pakistani Teen Gets Rich Quick in E-Sports

æ, !

Comment

Online Gaming - What's it like to be a 'girl gamer' on Twitch?
                            DEUTSCHE WELLE 10/5/2015

The world of Twitch and streaming video games is predominently populated by men. Women, while not unwelcome, are still a rarity, with rarified experiences in the boys' club that is video gaming.

As with most storms of outrage on the Internet, this storm started with an opinion. A guy expressed the idea that he didn't like the way people were acting on a particular website, posted a YouTube video explaining his thinking, and suddenly was facing down a storm of criticism.

But in this instance, the people in question were women, and the website at hand was the world's most popular video game streaming website, Twitch.

"I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the people who think they're gamers or nerds felt like they never really belonged somewhere, so once they find a place where they belong, they feel protective of it," said Renee Reynosa, a popular American video game streamer on Twitch. "They don't want these outsiders coming into their space."

"Girls are not seen as equal in the gaming scene," said Julia Kreuzer, a popular Austrian streamer, who broadcasts under the name Miss_Rage.

The video gaming world has always been a boys' club. While women have found their way into the space over the years, games, consoles, merchandise, and the entire experience of a video game is still overwhelmingly marketed at men today.

So when women started showing up on Twitch, and using Twitch to sometimes broadcast themselves doing activities that weren't streaming video games, many Twitch users became upset.

Online Gaming
                            What's it like to be a 'girl gamer' on Twitch?

The world of Twitch and streaming video games is predominently populated by men. Women, while not unwelcome, are still a rarity, with rarified experiences in the boys' club that is video gaming.
                            Deutschland Gamescom 2015 in Köln Besuchertag Privatbesucher

As with most storms of outrage on the Internet, this storm started with an opinion. A guy expressed the idea that he didn't like the way people were acting on a particular website, posted a YouTube video explaining his thinking, and suddenly was facing down a storm of criticism.

But in this instance, the people in question were women, and the website at hand was the world's most popular video game streaming website, Twitch.

"I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the people who think they're gamers or nerds felt like they never really belonged somewhere, so once they find a place where they belong, they feel protective of it," said Renee Reynosa, a popular American video game streamer on Twitch. "They don't want these outsiders coming into their space."

"Girls are not seen as equal in the gaming scene," said Julia Kreuzer, a popular Austrian streamer, who broadcasts under the name Miss_Rage.

The video gaming world has always been a boys' club. While women have found their way into the space over the years, games, consoles, merchandise, and the entire experience of a video game is still overwhelmingly marketed at men today.

So when women started showing up on Twitch, and using Twitch to sometimes broadcast themselves doing activities that weren't streaming video games, many Twitch users became upset.

The Video
                            In March 2015, a Youtuber and Twitch streamer named Sky Williams uploaded a video titled "Dear Female Streamers."

In it, Williams addressed what he thought was a growing problem on Twitch - women who stream games while wearing revealing clothing or acting provocatively. These women, Williams asserted, "ruin it" for the female streamers who just want to play the game by creating unrealistic expectations for all women on Twitch.

Women are already somewhat of a rarity in the video game world, including on Twitch. Only eight out of the top 100 most-followed broadcasters on Twitch are female, and they are rather far down the list of the top 100. The top Twitch female streamer, OMGitsfirefoxx, has a little over 640,000 followers. The top male streamer, Syndicate, has 2.3 million.

Williams' video didn't so much strike a nerve with the Twitch community, as electrocute the nerve, with some users agreeing that these women were acting inappropriately, and others, like Reynosa, defending those women and saying it was their choice to stream the way they wanted.

"Before the Sky Williams video, I think a lot of people shared the same opinion as Sky. If you're a girl, you shouldn't be using your body for viewers, and all that nonsense," Reynosa told DW. Several other prominent streamers, male and female, agreed, posting reaction videos and engaging in taped debates on YouTube over the issue.

Kreuzer, for her part, agreed with much of what Williams said. "There are a lot of people who really play their girl card really, really hard," she said. "They're doing squats for subscribers, or they're dancing when they get a subscriber. I would distance myself from these people. Because I think it's not the right way to do it."

Kreuzer added that she doesn't want to judge anyone who does indulge in what Reynosa called "shortcuts" to get subscribers. "Everyone is their own person, and everyone decides themselves how they want to be seen in the media," Kreuyer said.

But she views herself as an example of streamer who can grow slowly and become successful without resorting to gimmicks. "You can get big on Twitch without showing cleavage, or dancing," Kreuzer said.

Since Williams released the original video, he has changed his opinion and posted a follow up, and many others have changed their minds with him, Reynosa said. But that doesn't mean it the controversy over female streamers and how they dress and act is over.

The Debate
                            The Williams video spawned several more long YouTube-based and Twitch discussions about what exactly, constitutes "appropriate" behavior for women on Twtich.

"People will still say, 'Oh well she's only famous because she shows her skin" and, 'She's showing her boobs! She's going to become the top streaming because she's showing her boobs!'" Reynosa said. "And that's not how it works. That's never how it's worked."

Kristen Pickle, an American streamer who broadcasts under the name KittyPlaysGames and is one of the most followed female streamers on Twitch, said that she didn't follow the drama of the Williams video, but understood that for some streamers, acting and dressing provocatively was an fast way to draw attention and money.

"For a lot of streamers, it is an easy way to get a large audience and a lot of attention. That is a huge market for a lot of streamers on Twitch," Pickle told DW. As long as streamers are following Twitch's cond Several popular female streamers, including Reynosa, gathered to discuss Williams' assertions soon after the controversy started.

Yes, dressing provocatively and looking like a Barbie can draw in some viewers, for a little while, Reynosa said. "If I wanted to, I know exactly how I could get ten times more viewers in my channel than what I get now. But I know that that is not sustainable at all," she said. "If a girl is showing cleavage and she's not saying anything, maybe a couple thousand people will tune in there to see her boobs, and then they'll leave. If she happens to also be funny and entertaining, then they'll stick around."

Since the Williams video, Reynosa said she's seen the community change a lot, and the latent chauvinsm that seems to be a constant rumble in the background of the gaming community at large is now actively being fought.

Kreuzer, however, said she hasn't seen much change:"I don't think you can really do anything against it. There will always be people who want to make you feel really bad, or sad. It's just in human nature."
                            What′s it like to be a ′girl gamer′ on Twitch? | Technology | DW.COM | 22.09.2015

æ, !

Comment

All About Ukraine (Gamers in Ukraine)
                              UNIVERSALLY SPEAKING 29th September 2015

Stat tracker SuperData says that the average playing time for gamers in Ukraine is the third highest in Eastern Europe (82 days) just behind Poland and Turkey. Ukrainian gamers actually play games far more frequently than those in neighbouring Russia (70 days).

However, despite the popularity of games, Ukrainian consumers currently do not spend a great deal of money on them. Euromonitor expects video game sales to hit just £57m in 2015. This is because free-to-play and social games, which do not require people to spend money, are very popular in the region.

But that could change if publishers and developer started treating the territory with more care. Russian is a language that is beginning to fade away among younger Ukrainians. What’s more, there is now hostility towards Russian imports by some consumers.

“[Translating into Ukrainian] would show that the publisher or developer cares about the Ukrainian-speaking audience, especially nowadays, when struggling with the Russia-backed invasion takes place in the East of my country, and the patriotic spirit is getting higher and higher all the time,” continues Oliynyk.

complete read
                              Ukraine video games territory report | Universally Speaking

æ, !

Comment

Working...
                              X