What do Ukrainians think of foreigners using the language

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do Ukrainians think of foreigners using the language

I am trying to learn Ukrainian. I was wondering what Ukrainians think of foreigners who try to learn their language. I thought that they were usually beat up in the streets--as least that's what someone told me. I don't want to be beat up! I am afraid that Ukrainians will find it offensive that a foreigner, like me, wants to learn their language.

I don't want to offend anyone.

There are two possible options: or the one who told that to you is stupid; or the beaten guy just was unlucky that day so his offender thought any reason to beat him, he could have been beaten for not speaking ukrainian as well.

I would sugest you keep studing and speaking. You will get only positive experience from this.

Comment

you are cool

I know quite well how hard it is to learn other language. I think if I heard a foregner speaking Ukrainian or Russian at least 10 words... I would be really happy and I would help him to feel comfortable! :-)

Comment

It sounds funny if you use it inappropriately and trying to show that you speak, but if you talk to your business partners and use once in a while Ukrainian or Russian word - they appreciate the effort.

Comment

The Ukrainians are very welcoming people and will be absolutely glad to hear someone trying to speak their language. If you are a girl, I would kiss you for speaking or trying to speak my language

Comment

Are you sure?

Originally posted by НазарМ View Post
            The Ukrainians are very welcoming people and will be absolutely glad to hear someone trying to speak their language. If you are a girl, I would kiss you for speaking or trying to speak my language
            Would you still want to kiss the girl if she was not Ukrainain but was a potentially overweight and unattractive girl from abroad?

Comment

I am

Originally posted by Gotno Gizmo View Post
              Would you still want to kiss the girl if she was not Ukrainain but was a potentially overweight and unattractive girl from abroad?
              I am not kissing a girl based on her weight or subjective perception of attractiveness. I am smitten by someone who applies an effort, who tries to find out more for herself or himself. To kiss something that was made by nature, hyper symmetrical and in line with the demands of time - you may find it everywhere and everyday, but to find something created by an effort is rare. Ukrainian is a beautiful language, but it is not easy. To see someone learning and speaking it while not being native makes me really respect that person even more.

Comment

my ancestors are from Ukraine and Russia, and I have to learn the language because my ancestors and family didn't teach their kids after immigrating to Canada, I was raised only learning English. Anyone has a right to learn any language they want too.
                C walk for the passion

Comment

Generally, not only Ukrainians, people like it, when you learn or try to learn their language.

Comment

Working...
                  X