Kievan Rus! The mighty empire!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kievan Rus! The mighty empire!

Let us talk about Kievan Rus! I love this subject!
    For Independent and prosperous Ukraine

I wonder how Ukrainian people celebrated year 1000 in Kyiv Anybody know anything about it?

Comment

As a general statement, there was no awareness at all of the end of the first millenium. Literacy, as we know it, was limited to very few people. Keeping in mind that Saint Sophia was first constructed in Kiev in 1066 (an auspicious date: William the Conqueror sacked England in that year), then going back 66 years, I think we can say that the task of Christian conversion, which only began in 988AD in those parts, was not very complete, hence the significance of the year, if it was known at all, was limited to a very few. But I'm sure there was a good party somewhere on Andreyevski Spusk.
      Vanya

Comment

I wonder if they had Christmas Tree

Comment

A yolka? Well, a little hard to say. If they were on the Old Calendar, then Rozhdestvo isn't until January 7. A New Year's tree? Seems to me there is some lore about that tradition. Yolki Palki! A good question!
          Vanya

Comment

I posted an earlier reply, but it didn't stick to the board. Good question: A yolka? To the extent that Rozhdestvo is January 7, probably not, in the conventional sense. A New Year Tree? Seems to me there is some lore on that, but I dunno. Yolki Palki!
            Vanya

Comment

And "Ded moroz" ?

Comment

Man, he only goes back a little ways, in the whole scheme of things. As a fabled figure, though, he may have been part of a "tradition" in parts of a rather un-unified Rus. What do YOU think? Keep in mind that as a child I suspected that Ded Moroz was just another incarnation of Lenin.
                Vanya

Comment

Stas! Keep your topics up! Give us some information on Kievan Russ, because you just went "I love this subject!.." and dissapeared.
                  Ne ostavliaj na zavtra to chto mozhno sdelat' poslezavtra!
                  Don't put away something for tomorrow if you can do it the day after...
                  Mark Twain or Ben Frainklin.

Comment

I felt like it wasn't on the subject anymore even though Its a "history" forum, but "Angry nationalistic" took over, and now I dont know whats this forum about

So lets talk about Kievan Rus again. How about we talk about the lands of Kievan Rus?

Comment

Speaking about the Kievan Rus. I am trying to buy Hrushevskiy, "Historya Ukraini Rusi"... Who know how much it cost in Kiev? It is very expensive to buy it in Canada...

Comment

I read Hrushevski's istoriu! In Ukraine, when I didn't understand something in school(got to have perfect grades) I would always read this book, because it's so easy to read, but I don't know where you can buy it. Or was it Hrushevsky or Kostomarov? I don't remember...
                        Territory... territory... hm...
                        OK, Stas tell us about the territory. This forum is one place where I can learn Ukr. history, otherwise I don't even have time to read books! I know about Kniaz' Volodymyr and Kniaz' Oleg.
                        Ne ostavliaj na zavtra to chto mozhno sdelat' poslezavtra!
                        Don't put away something for tomorrow if you can do it the day after...
                        Mark Twain or Ben Frainklin.

Comment

If you wanna buy Hrushevsky book, you should go to www.yevshan.com and order a free catalog from there, and then you can order whatever you want from Ukrainian stuff. I used to order Music, but they don't have Ukrainian groups that sing in Russian for some reason. It's not group's member's fault that they didn't speak Ukrainian throughout the childhood. It's USSR government's fault, which supported russification, and now many people are lost in space because of that.
                          Regards...
                          Sheff

Comment

Thank you, Zhenya. I would try to buy it there.
                            One thing about the russification - you are right, this was the politic of USSR. Now the politic of Russia is to damage as much as possible Ukrain. But this people had all possibilities to study language. It is an attitude of everybody. I know here an em... Ukranian woman here. He speaks only in Russian. With her child too. I was surprised to know that she hate Ukranian, "this stupid and old language". Well, her Russian is em... like Gorbachev´s. Who´s fault is that this person doesn´t speak the language of her parents and greatparents???? USSR´s? School´s? Why I know this language? I studied in a Russian school. Why in Canada, Argentina, etc. the greatchildren of Ukrains study this language? Please, don´t take offence at it, Zhenya, yesturday I´ve spoke with her.... Grrrrrr...

Comment

Ok Yulia, but I do not know much about it I just thought it would be a good idea to discuss it here, I know some things... But not exact things... I think that eastern Ukrainian lands during Kievan Rus period, was not farther then present "Volgograd" in Russia, and northern a little bit northen then present Moscow, but western I dont know... Southern ended on Nortehrn Crimea, actually Crimea really does not belongs to Ukraine historically, but many other Russian lands do. Crimea was taken from Turkish by Russians not Ukrainian ;( But Ukrainian Kozaks won many battles there, and once burned out Bahchisaray, and freed all Ukrainian slaves.

Comment

Working...
                              X