Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baba's Baked Perishke

Hello Everyone,

When we were kids, I remember my Baba making these baked perishke, which were made out of a yeast dough. Although Mama always makes the traditional perohy, she's never tried to make those that Baba did.

What I do remember, is that she'd create a ball of dough with a cottage cheese styled stuffing and place them on a baking dish, which would make them form together, kind of like little mini breads.

But after they were taken out of the stove, we'd split the mini buns apart and dip the warm perishke into sour cream....What a delicious treat.

Does anyone have the recipe for these baked perishke?

Vlolodymir..........

Hello!

Is it something similar?

Comment

Silkrem,
      I could not see your picture in your reply.

Volodymir

Comment

Excuse me!

Comment

Silkrem,

They look exactly like that. Mmmm, brings back old memories while staying at Baba's.

How many different types of stuffings have you had while eating these
          perishke? I've only had the fresh cottage cheese one.

Do you have the recipe, please?

Volodymir.........

Comment

Originally posted by Kathy
            Thank you for the picture, Silkrem. The tablecloth and even the china reminds me of that in my husband's apartment in Kyiv.

Vlodko, if you'd like a recipe, I'll post one. But baking is kind of like chemistry - you have to be precise with measurements. If you've never worked with yeast, it can be a bit of a challenge. The water for yeast must not be too hot or too cold, or the yeast won't rise. Always add sugar to the yeast, too (some recipes assume bakers know this).

Ukraine recipes for baked goods won't work in North America because Ukrainian flour is different, as is Ukrainian butter. I think the Ukrainian products are better. Ukrainian wheat has more time to ripen, and the butter is lighter. So, you'll need a North American recipe.

Ohh i love eating that. I ate if a few times in America but as Kathy said, its not that good.

Call me weird but as a kid i used to take a slice of butter and eat it in Ukraine. Ukrainian butter had a different taste to it. I wouldent call it sweet, but deffinatly good. And Ukrainian bread, and milk, and meat, and ...
            I have to stop somewere.

I have a Ukrainian receipe book in pdf form, ill see if its in there.

See whats been posted in the past day.

Contact forum moderators here.

Comment

Hello Everyone,

I've only visited Ukraine once but did have a chance to visit Tato's village. But I didn't have the opportunity to taste Ukrainian butter nor did I realize that the flloor made in Ukraine was different.

But I would appreciate a North American recipe, if there's one.

I have fond memories of Baba baking these "periske" and after a long walk back from town while picking her up some supplies, I would be greeted in the kitchen with these fresh periske on the table. While they were still warm, we'd dunk them in sour cream and joyfully eat them.

They were delicious.

Thank you all for responding to my inquiry........Volodymir.......

Comment

I though i would find the receipe, but i didn't

I'm suprised nobody posted it yet, i will try to keep looking

I did ask my mom if she would make it and she said that in America it would not taste right, or at least with the food she had. She does want to buy it in a store though.

See whats been posted in the past day.

Contact forum moderators here.

Comment

My Grandma's recipe

Perishki

4 cups flour
                  2 tbsp sugar
                  1 tsp salt
                  ½ lb lard (cold)
                  1 pkg yeast or ½ tbsp.
                  ½ cup warm water
                  1 tsp sugar
                  3 eggs
                  1 cup sour cream

• Mix together first 3 ingredients, grate in the lard.
                  • Mix yeast, warm water and 1 tsp sugar. Let stand 10 min
                  • Mix eggs and sour cream together, add yeast mixture
                  • Add wet ingredients to dry and mix well.

Cover your dough and let sit in the fridge overnight (important)

Filling:

2 jars sauerkraut
                  3 medium onions

- Fry in butter or bacon fat (I like bacon better)

I cut rounds from the dough like perogies…fill and close bottoms (so they look like buns not perogies lol), sit on a pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25 – 30 min.

Comment

Yes nice but sinful

Comment

Originally posted by ukieoz View Post
                      Yes nice but sinful
                      Indeed. Exactly like village food everywhere in Europe [southern Italy, for example].

But, keep in mind that the селянии could only afford to eat meat once or twice a year, and perhaps not every year. Life on the село was brutally hard, and the labor only ended when you died.

So, a good helping of fat kept you going. Worked into expert dishes, the food tasted incredibly good, too.
                      В╕д Карпат╕в до Кавказу - Слава Укра╖нь╕

Comment

Working...
                      X