Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Travel & Tourism > Travel Tips

Notices

Ukrainian Bureaucracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24th March 2012, 20:37

Courtney123 is on a distinguished road
Smile Ukrainian Bureaucracy

Hi everyone!

Here's a question for all those of you who have obtained a long-term type "D" visa: Can you recommend a Ukrainian who has experience working with Ukrainian government ministries to acquire documents, and who is familiar with the new visa laws of 2011?

I am an independent scholar, working on my second book. I'm basically alone, living on my own savings. I want to apply for a type D visa. I had a visa last year for one year, but as you know, the rules and procedures have changed.

I already have one letter of invitation for one year of research in Ukraine from the Association of Hungarian Intellectuals of Transcarpathia. The Ukrainian consul in Hungary told me this letter was fine, but that I need a second letter from a Ukrainian government ministry certifying it. He told me I need a letter from the Ministry of Culture.

However, a lawyer in Lviv told me that the Association of Hungarian Intellectuals is not one of the organizations who can invite me, and that I need a letter from a different organization.

I do not know whom to believe.

Also, I have no idea how to contact the Ministry of Culture. That is a huge bureaucracy. Before I take a long train from western Ukraine to Kiev, I would like tangible phone numbers and names of people who can help me in that bureaucracy.

I think any Ukrainian who has helped any of you obtain the D visa would be useful to talk to. If he or she helped you to obtain the necessary letters from one ministry or institution, maybe he or she can provide me with advice on how to proceed and whom I should contact. I'd be willing to pay for some advice, if it is correct, and if the price is not too steep. As I said, I am unemployed.

Please share your ideas. Thank you in advance.

Courtney