Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Society > Politics

Notices

Mixed Feelings In Odesa Over Saakashvili

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15th December 2015, 19:28

Szary is on a distinguished road
I find myself cheering for Saakashvili in this little Internecine battle. Apparently Avakov feels he’s mature because at least he didn’t punch him like they do in parliament. Grow up, boys!

Ukraine minister throws water in governor's face in new row
Yahoo News December 15, 2015

Kiev (AFP) - Ukraine's Interior Minister Arsen Avakov threw water at the reformist governor and former president of Georgia Mikheil Saakashvili, in the latest high-profile spat illustrating growing tensions within Kiev's pro-Western coalition.

The incident between the Odessa region governor close to President Petro Poroshenko and Avakov -- an ally of Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk -- happened late Monday during a government meeting behind closed doors.

Avakov wrote in his Facebook Tuesday that he had thrown a glass of water at Saakashvili -- one of the most popular politicians in Ukraine -- in the course of a heated debate over the privatisation of the Odessa chemical plant, one of the largest in the country.

Saakashvili, who was appointed this year, over recent weeks has accused the Yatsenyuk government of corruption, particularly for rejecting the privatisation of the plant.

His rivals meanwhile accused him of trying to sell it to a Russian tycoon despite the unprecedented crisis in the relations between Kiev and Moscow amid the ongoing conflict in eastern Ukraine.

"The governor of Odessa lost control over himself, started shouting at me 'You are corrupt!' and began to insult me," Avakov wrote, adding that he refrained from hitting him, instead throwing water in his face.
Saakashvili confirmed that Avakov had tried to throw a glass of water at him.

The governor, who received Ukrainian citizenship before his appointment and recently had his Georgian passport revoked, also accused Avakov and Yatsenyuk of ordering him to "get the hell out" of Ukraine, remarks that were confirmed by other meeting participants.

He called for the video of the incident to be made public as proof of "indecent and provocative behaviour" of the two men.

President Poroshenko was forced to close the meeting and the press conference on its results was cancelled.

The president's spokesman said "such altercations are a disgrace to the country," indicating that the altercation would not be broadcast.

This was the second incident within a week between the president's and prime minister's teams which make up the pro-Western coalition.

On Friday, a fight erupted in Ukraine's parliament after an MP from Poroshenko's faction picked up Yatsenyuk and hoisted him away from the podium while the prime minister was defending his embattled government's record.

Such rows highlight the fragile nature of Ukraine's pro-Western coalition as it struggles with the economic crisis and the deadly conflict with pro-Russian rebels in the east of the country.

Ukraine minister throws water in governor's face in new row - Yahoo News
Old 16th December 2015, 14:16

Hannia will become famous soon enough
09:56 16.12.2015 INTERFAX-UKRAINE
Saakashvili denies information that he met owner of Uralchem Mazepin, claims posted video is fake

Head of Odesa Regional State Administration Mikheil Saakashvili has denied information that he met Russian businessman and owner of Uralchem Dmitry Mazepin and claimed that video where he allegedly met the Russian oligarch posted by Director of the communications department of the Interior Minister of Ukraine Artem Shevchenko is fake.

"Today the Interior Ministry officially spread a video which has been spreading across Internet for several days about my mythic meeting with certain Mazepin who turned out to be director of Uralchem. Frankly speaking I've learnt about Uralchem and Mazepin… when this video appeared: it was interesting who this person is, where he came from and if he crossed the Ukrainian border," Saakashvili said at a press conference in Kyiv late on Tuesday.

"I've sent requests to authorized Ukrainian services. I hope that they will answer to my official request officially in the near term. I've learnt unofficially, they told me this… This should be re-checked. Person named Mazepin has not crossed the Ukrainian border since I've been governor, according to their information. In addition, this person and his company confirmed that they did not hold any meetings with me," he said.

Saakashvili said that he watched thoroughly this video, as it is an official video spread by official agencies and noticed signs of video editing. Saakashvili presented the video to reporters and said that this is a meeting of two persons, one of whom is Mazepin and another one is unknown person whose head was replaced by the head of Saakashvili using video editing.

The Odesa region governor said that he has another bodily constitution compared to the person in the video.

"This is the official document published by the Interior Ministry. Do you understand now what crooks and thimble riggers we speak to? They chalk up all of you, dear Ukrainians and journalists, as idiots. They fabricated this video and in the same way they fabricate documents, contracts and each day they steel millions and billions from our state," Saakashvili said.

He also said that his phone is bugged.

"If all the time they follow me with television cameras, bug all my phones, they could not find more than to edit this wonder video and stick the nonexistent meeting with a Russian businessman on me… They could have showed real businessmen [Saakashvili met], take and show – I show this myself regularly on my Facebook. Why make it out of thin air? They were trying to find something, but they found nothing. Can you imagine how it is hard to find something for them? However, we've found a lot," he said.
Saakashvili denies information that he met owner of Uralchem Mazepin, claims posted video is fake
==================================================

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp

Last edited by Hannia; 16th December 2015 at 20:18.
Old 16th December 2015, 14:39

Variants on the trolls' theme, not on what the story really was.

‘Wack-job populist’ Saakashvili gets water splashed in his face by ‘corrupt’ interior minister
Published time: 15 Dec, 2015 08:28
Edited time: 15 Dec, 2015 08:55
https://www.rt.com/news/325949-ukrai...avakov-rumble/
==================================
Ukrainian Minister, Governor in 'Street-Style' Spat
NY TIMES DEC. 15, 2015, 6:48 A.M. E.S.T.

MOSCOW — The spokesman for Ukraine's president on Tuesday upbraided the country's interior minister and the Odessa governor for a water-throwing and insult-laced clash during a meeting of the National Reform Council.

At the Monday meeting, Interior Minister Arsen Avakov challenged Mikheil Saakashvili, the former Georgian president who now heads the Odessa region, about Saakashvili allegedly approaching a Russian tycoon about privatizing a big chemical plant.

Saakashvili "broke into hysterics ... I refrained from hitting him -- splashed water in his face," Avakov said on Facebook.

Ukrainian news reports said Saakashvili in turn accused Avakov of financing a private militia through corrupt means and demanded that video of the council session be made public.

Presidential spokesman Svyatoslav Tsegolko said on Facebook that "such street-style skirmishes shame the country."

The incident highlighted both concerns over endemic corruption and the frequently boisterous politics in Ukraine, where fistfights in the parliament are not uncommon.

In a strongly worded address to the Ukrainian parliament last week, U.S. Vice President Joe Biden called on the country's officials to take more action on corruption, which he said "eats Ukraine like cancer." The United States has worked to support Ukraine's authorities since mass protests drove the Russia-friendly president from power in February 2014.

Three days after Biden's address, the parliament erupted in a particularly spectacular brawl after a legislator from President Petro Poroshenko's party dragged Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk away from the rostrum.

Saakashvili was appointed by Poroshenko this year as governor of Odessa, one of Ukraine's most corruption-ridden regions. Saakashvili says his reform efforts have been undermined by Yatsenyuk. http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015...ref=world&_r=0

æ, !

Last edited by Hannia; 16th December 2015 at 20:18.
Old 16th December 2015, 14:55

09:43 16.12.2015 INTERFAX-UKRAINE
Ukrainian Interior Ministry accuses Saakashvili of lying about Minister Avakov

The Ukrainian Interior Ministry has denied Odesa region administration head Mikheil Saakashvili's allegations that Interior Minister Arsen Avakov controls informal armed units.

"Concerning informal armed units which, as he [Saakashvili] says, the minister controls and finances from his corrupt revenues - he also called them private armies that need to be done away with - the Interior Ministry qualifies the Odesa regional administration head's words as absolute lies, [the words are] insulting and inconsistent with the reality. The interior minister, as the ministry's chief, does control the armed units that operate within the Interior Ministry system, the special police units - battalions and regiments - and also the units within the National Guard system. All of them are well-known, controllable, and formalized. The minister doesn't control, and cannot control, any private armies, which Saakashvili hinted at," Interior Ministry spokesperson Artem Shevchenko told journalists in Kyiv on Tuesday.

Shevchenko said it is unacceptable to call volunteer battalions within the Interior Ministry and National Guard system informal armed units, and private armies, and "to speak this way about absolutely legal and legitimate armed units operating within the Interior Ministry system and the National Guard system, in the establishment of which Interior Minister Avakov was indeed involved during the hardest times for our country in the spring and summer 2014," he said.

When asked whether or not the Interior Ministry would sue Saakashvili for his words, Shevchenko said this would depend on Minister Avakov's position.

"I am authorized to comment on the words related to the minister alleging that he controls some ephemeral and mythical informal units. I am saying once again: there are no informal units," Shevchenko said.

Saakashvili said following a conflict with Avakov at a National Reform Council meeting on December 14 that the interior minister controls informal armed units and finances them from his corrupt revenues.

æ, !

Old 16th December 2015, 15:01

10:01 16.12.2015 INTERFAX-UKRAINE
Xenophobic insults unacceptable in National Reforms Council – Poroshenko

It was reported earlier that Odesa Governor Mikheil Saakashvili clashed with Ukrainian Interior Minister Arsen Avakov at a meeting of the National Reforms Council on Monday, in which the two accused each other of corruption.
---------------------
Poroshenko said that the National Reforms Council was "a principally new, independent agency, which was formed through a transparent tender procedure." "It's time to end anti-corruption show, begin anti-corruption deeds," the president stressed.

æ, !

Old 16th December 2015, 20:36

Ukrainian president comes to Saakashvili’s defense
MEDUZA 09:16, 16 December 2015 President of Ukraine

Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko described the dispute between Interior Minister Arsen Avakov and Odessa Governor Mikhail Saakashvili at the National Council for Reform as a “disgraceful incident.”

“In the National Council—the same as anywhere else—abusive language and insults are unacceptable, particularly when they have a racist overtone that addresses a person's national dignity, questions his Ukrainian patriotism, and suggests the person 'clear out from Ukraine,'” said Poroshenko in a statement.

Poroshenko went on to say, "I invited an international team of reformers to ukraine, who have already succeeded in becoming truly Ukrainian, and not simply in their passports, but in spirit. I do not regret making this decision. On the other hand, the fight with corruption is not show business. I would have it that neither civil servats nor members of parliament take part in such "spectacles."

At a December 10 meeting of the National Council for Reform, during a verbal exchange, Arsen Avakov threw water in the face of Mikhail Saakashvili and told him to get out of Ukraine. Parliamentary Deputy Sergei Leshchenko referred to an official session where Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk implied that Saakashvili was merely “here today but gone tomorrow” and also said he should get out of Ukraine. “To this, Saakashvili said he was also a Ukrainian citizen. However, in comparison to Yatsenyuk, he had not plundered the country,” said the Deputy.

After the session, Saakashvili said Avakov maintained “informal paramilitary groups” and financed them with proceeds from corruption. The Odessa governor also accused Yatsenyuk of corruption. https://meduza.io/en/news/2015/12/16...vili-s-defense
===============
Source:
оментар Президента щодо інциденту на засіданні Національної ради реформ 14 грудня 2015 року

æ, !

Old 18th December 2015, 13:28

09:26 18.12.2015 INTERFAX-UKRAINE
Saakashvili has no plans to resign

Odesa Governor Mikheil Saakashvili is not going to resign.

"I believe that I do good in Odesa," he said at a televised interview during one of Ukraine's SavikShusterStudio shows.

While in office, he is going to continue fighting against corruption and demanding that those people, who, in his view, are spreading corruption in the government be dismissed and punished, he said.

Saakashvili emphasized that to reach these ends, he is planning to attract some "healthy forces in the parliament and the government" and also the Ukrainian people.

Saakashvili also said that he expects some decisive actions on this matter from Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko and promises him full support in this regard.

æ, !