Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Society > Politics

Notices

Yatsenyuk versus Poroshenko

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 5th January 2015, 05:30

stepanstas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannia View Post
The Poroshenko surname is in fact Ukrainian. Today there are appx 400 people w/this surname living in Eastern Ukraine and have given names like Oksana, Tamara, Nadezhda (Nadya), Maryna, Evdokhia and Marya as per Christian Calendar. The men have equally Christian given names like Hryhoriy, Taras and Ivan etc.

It has been inferred in these forums that Poroshenko is Jewish. He is not Jewish and only a bigot would raise this as an issue anyway.

I have no time to look into Yatseniuk surname right now, but I will shortly.
================================================
Arseniy Yatsenyuk is not Jewish. He is ethnic Ukrainian w/some Romanian mix. This is very common mix in Chernivtsi region (historic Bukowyna Province, Land of Beech Trees), where his family originates.

FYI Jewish IS NOT AN ETHNICITY. It is a religion !
+1

For one thing, like you said, that shouldn't be an argument point. But more than that, I don't know how many more times Poroshenko can make it clearer through his actions that he isn't.
Old 5th January 2015, 10:56

GoodLuckUkraine is on a distinguished road
This topic reminds me of the desperate and undignified Republican campaign to undermine Obama by claiming he was not an American and not eligible for the presidency.

Eventually he had to produce his birth certificate just to shut them up.
Old 5th January 2015, 12:53

AkMike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkach View Post
Both aren't ethnic Ukrainian so sending people into war is not a concern.
They are Ukrainian! Their family histories aren't a concern. They are both giving their best efforts for the benefit of Ukraine.

Retirement sucks! You never get a day off!!!
Old 5th January 2015, 13:23

Cargocat is on a distinguished road
Hey, this is called democracy so get used to it. It seem to me there is too much emphasis of ethnicity in Ukraine but then again I don't live there so I can't understand what makes Ukrainians tick. As a Canadian observer with Ukrainian roots I see a nation struggling to exist in the shadow of the mighty Russian bear who will rip Ukraine to shreds if its chains are loosened. Now these chains can be loosened by lack of resolve and infighting among Ukrainian people who do not unite for the cause of nationhood, I was shocked to realize that Eastern Ukraine is practically a Russian colony where Ukrainian is not even spoken by many citizens. And to add to my dismay the "patriotic" Kozaks are stabbing Ukraine in the back allying with Russian backed separatist forces fighting against Ukraine. What a disgrace these traitors are and they should be removed from the Ukrainian National Anthem as well. Ukraine you plenty of home grown traitors among you that landed you in this endless war.
Old 5th January 2015, 13:38

Tkach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cargocat View Post
Hey, this is called democracy so get used to it. It seem to me there is too much emphasis of ethnicity in Ukraine but then again I don't live there so I can't understand what makes Ukrainians tick. As a Canadian observer with Ukrainian roots I see a nation struggling to exist in the shadow of the mighty Russian bear who will rip Ukraine to shreds if its chains are loosened. Now these chains can be loosened by lack of resolve and infighting among Ukrainian people who do not unite for the cause of nationhood, I was shocked to realize that Eastern Ukraine is practically a Russian colony where Ukrainian is not even spoken by many citizens. And to add to my dismay the "patriotic" Kozaks are stabbing Ukraine in the back allying with Russian backed separatist forces fighting against Ukraine. What a disgrace these traitors are and they should be removed from the Ukrainian National Anthem as well. Ukraine you plenty of home grown traitors among you that landed you in this endless war.
You have Ukrainian roots but didn't realize that the eastern regions were mostly Russian speaking? That is, even if they know Ukrainian (which might be doubtful), they speak Russian (first) - mother tongue.

My relatives are from the Western part but I at least acknowledge the reality over there. The eastern part have a lot of pensioners. They 'remember' Soviet times and are attached to Russia so they are extra receptive to Kremlin propaganda. It doesn't help that the fools in other regions, radicals speak ill of 'Russians' and that the confusion (i.e. the meaning) provides ammo for propaganda.
Old 5th January 2015, 13:50

Tkach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannia View Post
[/B]Arseniy Yatsenyuk is not Jewish. He is ethnic Ukrainian w/some Romanian mix. This is very common mix in Chernivtsi region (historic Bukowyna Province, Land of Beech Trees), where his family originates.

FYI Jewish IS NOT AN ETHNICITY. It is a religion !
You need to work on your research skills. Or you are purposefully ignorant.

Arseniy Yatsenyuk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Open Ukraine: Благодійний фонд Арсенія Яценюка

Mission - Open Ukraine: Arseniy Yatsenyuk foundation

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ky/cM5tngfdhZs

*Advertisement

About three weeks ago Yuri Dubinsky, wearing a black skullcap, appeared on TV, introducing himself as the chairman of the Jewish community of Kharkov. Apparently this is a matter of controversy, but Dubinsky declared he was speaking not only in the name of all the Jews of Kharkov, and not just in the name of all the Jews of Ukraine, but for the entire Jewish people. He does not belong to any party, he said, but will support Yatsenyuk because of his Jewish origin.

Followers of the Lubavitcher Rebbe also published a long letter condemning Yatsenyuk for denying his Jewishness.

Ukraine: The Rise of Yatsenyuk / ISN

Yatsenyuk discusses situation in Ukraine with American Jewish Committee representatives

Anyway, I've discussed politics with a lot of Ukrainian friends and EVERY ONE OF THEM believe both are Jewish. They live in various areas of Ukraine.

Surname doesn't matter because, apparently, original surnames are often changed.

I just wonder why it's irrelevant. CIA, U.S. involvement is denied. This is denied. 'F*ck the EU' and American representatives go to Ukraine but that is overlooked. Perhaps, people are paid off here?
Old 5th January 2015, 14:36

AkMike is on a distinguished road
Cargocat, in central UA where I am now Russian is still spoken but Ukrainian is gaining ground because of the last years worth of the Russian invasion.
Tkach, you seem to worry more about their religion than anyone else. Why is that?

Retirement sucks! You never get a day off!!!