Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Society > Politics

Notices

Has Putin shot himself in the foot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28th October 2014, 03:53

Szary is on a distinguished road
So the Commie Party and the Party of Regions were both effectively banned from the elections. So on one hand this allowed big pro West wins in the short term but one the other hand in the long-term it further divides Ukraine by disenfranchising over 5 million or more Ukrainians from voting.

As well, Putin might be an evil bully but he’s no fool. He’s playing a complicated game and unfortunately he still has the upper hand for one reason: Economics. Winter's coming and there's still no gas deal and Russia is still demanding payment up front. And that's just the tip of the iceberg because Ukraine is broke. Well, at least the oligarchs have billions that they sucked out of the country and moved to Switzerland.

I have read that the EU has only committed up to approximately $800 million, and I'm embarrassed to say that my country, the USA only gave Poroshenko a few hundred million dollars. Everyone can say ‘look the Russian economy is hurting’ and that’s true it is. But they still have major staying power and options, but at this important juncture Ukraine does not.

I think Putin is trying to crush a unified Ukraine economically. And he has half a chance because the USA and EU encouraged Maidan but have not stepped up at this critical time with enough financial support. It’s a damn shame. How can my country vote to spend hundreds of billions of dollars in Iraq and only give Ukraine a few hundred million. It defies logic.
Old 28th October 2014, 10:54

GoodLuckUkraine is on a distinguished road
I expect the EU, US and IMF will continue to bail out Ukraine while Ukraine continues to implement reforms - which should be much easier for them now they have a decent parliament.

I would also like to see us stop messing around in the middle east and focus more on Ukraine/Europe. I am hoping that western nations have been filling Ukraine with weapons in secret and that Ukraine has been constantly bolstering its defenses in the East. Russia must not get another inch of Ukraine.
Old 28th October 2014, 15:37

Hannia will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szary View Post
I think Putin is trying to crush a unified Ukraine economically. And he has half a chance because the USA and EU encouraged Maidan but have not stepped up at this critical time with enough financial support. It’s a damn shame. How can my country vote to spend hundreds of billions of dollars in Iraq and only give Ukraine a few hundred million. It defies logic.

Szary, to think that there is no such thing as "some version" of the ERP*** being set in motion, is to be politically and economically naive. Whatever the current rules might be, the UA govt is making a major effort in following them. The fact that Ukraine, in time of great chaos and destabilization, has managed to elect a moderate parliament, is a major accomplishment.

At this point in time you are overestimating your employer. The Kremlin is losing its economic clout, not gaining economic strength. Recession is at its door. America and Saudi Arabia have opened their oil reserve taps and it's highly likely they will not shut them down until Uncle Vova and his inner circle are on their knees.

Oh me - oh my !
=====================================
***The Marshall Plan (officially the European Recovery Program, ERP) was the American initiative to aid Europe, in which the United States gave $17 billion (approximately $160 billion in current dollars) in economic support to help rebuild European economies after the end of World War II.

Marshall Plan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp

Last edited by Hannia; 28th October 2014 at 16:38.
Old 28th October 2014, 17:09

Szary is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannia View Post
Szary, to think that there is no such thing as "some version" of the ERP*** being set in motion, is to be politically and economically naive. Whatever the current rules might be, the UA govt is making a major effort in following them. The fact that Ukraine, in time of great chaos and destabilization, has managed to elect a moderate parliament, is a major accomplishment.

At this point in time you are overestimating your employer. The Kremlin is losing its economic clout, not gaining economic strength.
Hannia, First, I still fail to understand why you keep on insisting that I, a Polish American that's never been to Russia and who thanks to my grandparents has a disdain for things Russian, has the Kremlin as my employer? Because I am not a Yes man to everything happening in Ukraine? Please, grow up and give me a break. Please, give your oh me oh my drama queen stuff a rest. Every Polish American knows that a successful westward leaning EU incorporated Ukraine will be a blessing for Poland.

Second, I give great credit to what you say above, that Ukraine even in this time of great chaos has managed to elect a moderate parliament. It is a major accomplishment, a big step in the right direction for stabilization.

Third, all I've been really harping on and trying to say is that I was extremely disappointed that my US Congress welcomed President Poroshenko, clapped for his impassioned speech, then sent him home with pennies. And no, I don't believe there is a Marshall sized plan coming from the USA, at least not any time soon. And no real military aid either. And it angers me that they vote to send weapons to so-called Muslim freedom fighters in the Mideast, but won't send them to Kyiv, who supposed to be our ally.
Old 28th October 2014, 17:12

Oh me - oh my! Why would Senator Inhofe be meeting w/President Poroshenko?
========================================
President meets with senior U.S. senator
28.10.2014 | 17:20 UNIAN

President Poroshenko on Tuesday held a meeting in Kyiv with ranking member of the U.S. Senate Armed Services Committee*** James Inhofe, according to a posting on official Web site of the president.

The parties discussed the holding of the early parliamentary elections in Ukraine. In particular, "Poroshenko said that a day earlier he had met with the delegations of the OSCE Observer Mission and the European Parliament, who noted that the Ukrainian elections, on the whole, were free and fair, and held in accordance with international standards," the statement reads.

"This is very important. This [concern] the reforms and the opportunities you have never had before," Inhofe said.

The President thanked the senator for his personal support for Ukraine, especially for the senator’s co-authoring in Congress the “Crimea Annexation Non-recognition Act” and a draft bill "On Preventing Further Russian Aggression Toward Ukraine and Other Sovereign States in Europe and Eurasia."

Poroshenko expressed hope that the U.S. Congress would succeed in passing these important legislative acts.

The parties also discussed the reform of the defence sector in Ukraine, as well as energy security issues.
President meets with senior U.S. senator : UNIAN news

The Armed Services Committee crafts the annual National Defense Authorization Act, which authorizes spending on weapons systems and pay and benefits for troops and sets policy on a multitude of issues relevant to defense, from research and development of new weapons to personnel policies. Carl Levin - United States Senator for Michigan: In the Senate - Committees

æ, !

Old 28th October 2014, 20:14

Obama may decide to supply arms to Ukraine without senate approval
Oct. 28, 2014, 7:22 p.m. | Ukraine — by Interfax-Ukraine

The United States President Barack Obama can decide to supply arms to Ukraine for self-defense without the approval of the Senate, said Jim Inhofe, a deputy head of the Senate Committee on Armed Forces.
Obama may decide to supply arms to Ukraine without senate approval

æ, !

Old 28th October 2014, 20:34

Ukraine Crisis Media Center 10/28/2014
United States Senator to Ukraine: “Get Busy on your Reforms”

Kyiv, October 28, 2014. Despite other contemporary problems throughout the world, the U.S. Senate remains committed to supporting Ukraine. This was stated by Senator Inhofe during his press briefing at Ukraine Crisis Media Center. U.S. Senator James Inhofe of Oklahoma has just completed a visit to Ukraine to meet with Ukrainian officials and assess the situation in the country. Inhofe is a member of the Republican Party and the ranking member of the Armed Services Committee in the U.S. Senate

“We have other problems – with ISIS, with Ebola—but Ukraine is also an important issue for us,” stated Inhofe. During the Senator’s time in Ukraine, Inhofe met with Prime Minister Yatsenyuk, Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin, the Head of the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU), and President Petro Poroshenko. He was impressed with his talks with Ukrainian officials and expressed his deep dismay with the direction that Russian President Vladimir Putin has taken his country.

“I remember what happened during the Reagan revolution and what happened in the Soviet Union,” he said. Inhofe celebrated the democratic changes that occurred in Eastern Europe during the 1980s. “I feel that Putin is trying to de-Reaganize the Soviet Union,” stated Inhofe. The positive changes that happened then are being reversed in the Russian Federation, he noted.

Senator Inhofe also praised the conduct of the Ukrainian parliamentary elections on Sunday. “The elections that took place in the elections were incredible.” Inhofe pledged that “the United States of America is going to be considered Ukraine’s best friend.” He praised the efforts of President Poroshenko and Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk, saying that the United States has confidence in their abilities.

Inhofe also promised that support for Ukraine in the U.S. Senate will only increase following the Congressional elections on November 4, in which it is believed that a Republican majority will win the Senate. “I’ve never seen once person received more favorably than Poroshenko was in the House and the Senate,” he stated. “He was proved a rare person who has the intelligence and capability to serve as a partner of ours.”
United States Senator to Ukraine: “Get Busy on your Reforms” | Ukraine Crisis Media Center | UACRISIS.ORG
=====================

æ, !