Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Society > Politics

Notices

President Petro Poroshenko Tracker

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25th October 2014, 15:55

Hannia will become famous soon enough
On eve of poll, Ukraine leader seeks support for pro-Europe course
KIEV Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:25am EDT Richard Balmforth REUTERS

(Reuters) - President Petro Poroshenko called on Ukrainians on Saturday to elect a majority on Sunday that would see through a pro-Europe, reform agenda and break with the Soviet past.

Poroshenko, who is expecting a big win for his political bloc in the first parliamentary election since the overthrow of the Moscow-backed leader Viktor Yanukovich, said he saw a "radically new" assembly emerging on Sunday.

But to push through his reform strategy, he needed "a majority in the Verkhovna Rada (parliament), one that is for reform and not corrupt, one that is pro-Ukrainian and pro-European and not pro-Soviet," he said in a televised address to the people.

"Without such a majority in parliament, the President's programme which millions of Ukrainians believed in in June will simply remain on paper," he said.

Poroshenko, who was elected president in May by a landslide after "Euromaidan" street protests ousted Yanukovich, called Sunday's snap vote to clear out Yanukovich loyalists from parliament and secure increased legitimacy for Kiev's pro-Western leadership in the face of pressure from Russia.

The "Euromaidan" revolution was broadly supported by Western governments but Moscow denounced Yanukovich's ouster as a coup by a "fascist junta". Russia subsequently annexed Ukraine's Crimea region, which has a Russian majority, and backed separatist rebellions that broke out in the industrialised east.

Those rebellions led to a conflict in which about 3,700 people have been killed.

Poroshenko said he wanted a clear reform plan to emerge from any coalition agreement among the parties rather than "sweet promises" in exchange for government portfolios.

He also pledged to stick to his peace plan to find a negotiated end to the conflict in the east and ruled out ordering any military storm of separatist strongholds such as the city of Donetsk.

"We can only get those territories back by a political settlement and not by military means. Nobody will stop me from seeking a peaceful way out of the situation," he said.
On eve of poll, Ukraine leader seeks support for pro-Europe course | Reuters

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp
Old 25th October 2014, 16:16

Poroshenko: Draft coalition agreement already prepared
Oct. 25, 2014, 4:59 p.m. | Ukraine — by Interfax-Ukraine

Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has said that a draft coalition agreement for people's deputies of the Verkhovna Rada of the eighth convocation has already been prepared. Poroshenko: Draft coalition agreement already prepared

æ, !

Old 25th October 2014, 16:42

25.10.2014 14:08
Press office of President
Vote for Ukraine! – President’s address on the eve of the elections to the Verkhovna Rada of October 26

Vote for Ukraine! Presidents address on the eve of the elections to the Verkhovna Rada of October 26 - Official web-site of President of Ukraine

æ, !

Old 26th October 2014, 01:10

Ukraine Leader Seeks Pro-Europe Backing
Reuters October 25, 2014 11:17 AM

KYIV—

President Petro Poroshenko called on Ukrainians on Saturday to elect a majority on Sunday that would see through a pro-Europe, reform agenda and break with the Soviet past.

Poroshenko, who is expecting a big win for his political bloc in the first parliamentary election since the overthrow of the Moscow-backed leader Viktor Yanukovich, said he saw a “radically new” assembly emerging on Sunday.

But to push through his reform strategy, he needed “a majority in the Verkhovna Rada [parliament], one that is for reform and not corrupt, one that is pro-Ukrainian and pro-European and not pro-Soviet,” he said in a televised address to the people.

“Without such a majority in parliament, the president's program which millions of Ukrainians believed in in June will simply remain on paper,” he said.

Poroshenko, who was elected president in May by a landslide after “Euromaidan” street protests ousted Yanukovich, called Sunday's snap vote to clear out Yanukovich loyalists from parliament and secure increased legitimacy for Kyiv's pro-Western leadership in the face of pressure from Russia.

The “Euromaidan” revolution was broadly supported by Western governments but Moscow denounced Yanukovich's ouster as a coup by a “fascist junta.” Russia subsequently annexed Ukraine's Crimea region, which has a Russian majority, and backed separatist rebellions that broke out in the industrialized east.

Those rebellions led to a conflict in which about 3,700 people have been killed.

Poroshenko said he wanted a clear reform plan to emerge from any coalition agreement among the parties rather than “sweet promises” in exchange for government portfolios.

He also pledged to stick to his peace plan to find a negotiated end to the conflict in the east and ruled out ordering any military storm of separatist strongholds such as the city of Donetsk.

“We can only get those territories back by a political settlement and not by military means. Nobody will stop me from seeking a peaceful way out of the situation,” he said.
Ukraine Leader Seeks Pro-Europe Backing

æ, !

Old 26th October 2014, 01:16

Poroshenko: 'It's time to complete a full reset of power'
Oct. 26, 2014, 12:30 a.m. | Politics — by Kyiv Post

Editor's Note: The following is the English-language translation of President Petro Poroshenko's speech to the nation on Oct. 25, the eve of parliamentary elections. It can also be read at the president's official website at ii .

Dear compatriots!

October 26 is the date of the elections to the Verkhovna Rada.

They are held exactly five months after the presidential elections.

As candidate for the post of the President, I promised the Association Agreement with the EU. We’ve achieved its signing, ratified and started implementing it. Though it was hard. Even on the day of signing, June 27, when I landed in Brussels, several European leaders hesitated whether to give the green light to the Agreement or not.

I promised purification of authorities – the law on lustration was signed and it has already begun.

I promised early elections to the Parliament – and they will be held tomorrow.

I dissolved former Verkhovna Rada not only because it has been an obedient tool in the hands of the dictator, not only because there were dozens of MPs who were the fifth column of Russia, not only because the re-elections were one of the key demands of the Revolution of Dignity, but also because I was convinced of its low reformist potential. Friends, wet doesn’t burn. It is difficult to drive fast with reforms when hundreds of MPs synchronously press on breaks!

It's time to complete a full reset of power. I believe in a deep upgrade and rejuvenation of the Parliament. You'll see, it will be a radically new Parliament.

I have enough political will to implement the developed strategy of reforms. But I also need the majority in the Parliament. Reformist majority not corrupt one. Pro-Ukrainian and pro-European, not pro-Soviet.

Without it, the presidential program in which millions of Ukrainians believed in June will remain on paper.

My team has already prepared a draft coalition agreement. It is based on "Strategy 2020". This is a plan of changes we have developed. Its implementation will ensure the introduction of European standards and decent place of our country in the world. By 2020, Ukraine should be ready to apply for a membership in the European Union.

Not only corruption and oligarchy, but also irresponsibility of politicians and boundless populism were destroying the chance for Ukraine to develop.

Clear plan of reforms not sweat promises and distribution of posts on the basis of compromised party quotas must lay the foundation of new coalition agreement.

If we adhere to this approach, nobody and nothing will prevent the reforms. Every Ukrainian must feel the financial result of these reforms, though it will not be immediately.

The implementation of the "Strategy 2020" means economic growth, availability of work, decent wages, decent pensions, high scholarship, a successful private business.

I will do everything I can for the new coalition and new Government to be formed quickly and start working hard over the reforms.

Dear compatriots!

You can only guess my preferences. I have no right to agitate for any political force, especially today. You have an extremely wide choice. The authorities ensured fair, competitive, free and transparent election campaign. It completely meets the European standards.

Please, choose honestly. Remember only that a vote for the money is now an offense not only of those who buy, but also of those who sell. Measuring your vote with hryvnias means selling Fatherland. It is unlawful and sinful hundred times when thousands of people risk their lives defending our Homeland.

The most important our goal is peace. Our valiant soldiers liberated the majority of the Donbas from terrorists and the elections will also be held there tomorrow.

We can return territories where there is no military settlement only through political solution. It is impossible to storm Donetsk without destroying it. This city is not native for occupants. But it is native for us and our compatriots live there. Critics will not stop me from searching for peaceful solution to the situation.

At the same time, we do not forget about reinforcement of the army. We keep the powder dry and act under the principle “everything for the front, everything for the victory”.

Decision on ceasefire was beneficial first of all for the defense capacity. We healed wounds, summoned human resources, delivered weapons and equipment, built fortifications. All armored tank plants work under the three-shift schedule. Now we are much stronger than 1.5 month ago. God forbid, but they will regret if they attack.

We are building our new Ukrainian home on reliable basis of European values and patriotic enthusiasm of the people of Ukraine.

Vote for Ukraine – united, single, indivisible and European!

Glory to Ukraine!

Poroshenko: 'It's time to complete a full reset of power'

æ, !

Old 26th October 2014, 15:33

Poroshenko meets troops as voting continues across Ukraine
26/10 12:48 CET EURONEWS

Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has paid a surprise visit to troops fighting pro-Russian separatists on the front line in the east of the country.

Special arrangements have been made for the soldiers to vote in the nearby city of Kramatorsk.

Many people say today’s first parliamentary election since last year’s protests is likely to install a pro-Western parliament in Kyiv.

That would strengthen Poroshenko’s mandate to end the conflict in the east of the country. But it may fuel tension with neighbouring Russia, according to some analysts.

Voting started on a cold but sunny morning in the capital.

Many locals hoped things will change for the better.

“I think a new political party will bring a lot of changes,” said one vote. “You can see that it’s impossible to work the the current parliament.”

“First of all, look at what’s happening in our country,” said another. “It has not been good. I have used my vote and hope that the choice I have made will influence change. Everything needs to change. I hope some of the candidates will help being change.”

Whoever wins the elections faces enormous challenges, beginning with resolving the conflict in the east which has seen more than 3,700 deaths and over 800,000 refugees.

Around 2,000 international observers, including around 800 from Europe’s OSCE, are in place to monitor polling procedures. Poroshenko meets troops as voting continues across Ukraine | euronews, world news

æ, !

Old 26th October 2014, 16:00

26.10.2014 15:30
Press office of President
President says he voted for the European vector of state development and the renewal of authorities

President Petro Poroshenko took part in the elections to the Verkhovna Rada. When voting, the Head of State noted that he had given his vote for the future, the European vector of state development and the renewal of authorities.

The President hopes that the people of Ukraine will make a responsible choice today. “I hope that we will have new Government, Parliament and pro-European coalition just like new Ukraine and new President we already have after the Revolution of Dignity,” the Head of State emphasized.

Petro Poroshenko expressed hope that a powerful democratic coalition would be formed after the elections to support his actions on the way towards peace and state development. “I hope that my efforts will be supported and in conditions of parliamentary-presidential republic we will have a united, powerful and efficient team for the implementation of reforms and the achievement of victory and peace in Ukraine,” the President said.

The Head of State expressed belief that it would be much easier to implement reforms after the elections.

After his voting, the Head of State noted that the elections were held without significant violations under the European democratic standards. “Today the elections are held without significant violations. I am happy that we have the elections that meet the European democratic standards and I hope that the request of the people of Ukraine for the renewal of authorities will finally be fulfilled,” the President said.

The President reminded that he had visited the Donbas in the morning and was present at the polling stations. He expressed content with the fact that the information about closed polling stations had not been confirmed and the problems in Sloviansk and Dzerzhynsk had been solved.

Petro Poroshenko also emphasizes that he has personally made sure that some Ukrainian servicemen who are currently in the ATO area have an opportunity to vote. “They took part in the ballot with great enthusiasm. Still, it is a great disappointment for me that more than 25 thousand servicemen were deprived of this opportunity by the old Parliament. This is another reason why it should be dissolved,” the President noted.

Petro Poroshenko expressed gratefulness to the staff of the polling station for their work. President says he voted for the European vector of state development and the renewal of authorities - Official web-site of President of Ukraine

æ, !