Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Society > Politics

Notices

"Smart Money" rule of Governments

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 6th December 2010, 01:56

AkMike is on a distinguished road
Simply because there is businesses competeing for your money for their product. They can't rip and gouge for long because someone else is going to say.. "Hey, I can do that cheaper and better for less and still make money! Possibly more because the masses will pass the word that I'm provifding a better service or product for less!"
You're not bound to buy a service or product from one company. Hell for healthcare I can travel (litteraly)halfway around the world to Ukraine for my medical and dental and still save money and get as good of care as I do here. Drugs are alot cheaper there also. Many in the USA go to Canada or Mexico monthly for drugs from the same US comapnys because they're sold there cheaper. Once beyond the US borders there's a better selection of drugs also. Many w/o the need for a visit to a Dr.and that additional expense.
Yes IMO the medical profession and legal can and do rip us off with huge prices. But there are options.
Use them.

Your apartment rent is too high.. Move! It's your choice.
Your taxes are too high? Move! it's your choice.

Nick, You show that you're from England. What's the airfare to Ukraine via Wizz or any of the other carriers? 300 USD? Cheap flying compared to what I have to pay. This trip that I'm going on in 2 weeks is costing me $2600 rt for 2. Would I like to pay 300 instead? You bet but Wizz hasn't started flying to Alaska yet.
Condor (a cheap German airline) does but only during the summer months. Too bad I cannot take time off from work to travel then. But that's my choice.
Old 6th December 2010, 15:26

Gotno Gizmo is on a distinguished road
Reply to AKMike

I'm surprised by your response, that you cannot see the difference from fair competition in business and the sophisticated multi-national obuse that the billionaire oligarchs are using to enrich themselves at employees and suppliers expense. Any benefit that might be gained by a lower product price to the purchaser (for a short period) becomes a deficit in jobs lost overseas, loss of taxes and increased social costs to the country losing that production capability. Only the oligarch goes laughing to his offshore bank.

I include an article from the British press about a perfectly legal but damaging commercial enterprise:-

Philip Green is a multi-billionaire businessman, who runs some of the biggest names on British high streets. His retail empire includes brands such as Topshop, Topman, Dorothy Perkins, Burton, Miss Selfridge and British Home Stores.

Philip Green is not a non-dom. He lives in the UK. He works in the UK. He pays tax on his salary in the UK. All seems to be in order. Until you realise that Philip Green does not actually own any of the Arcadia group that he spends every day running. Instead, it is in the name of his wife who has not done a single day’s work for the company. Mrs Green lives in Monaco, where she pays not a penny of income tax.
In 2005 Philip Green awarded himself £1.2bn GBP, the biggest paycheck in British corporate history. But this dividend payout was channeled through a network of offshore accounts, via tax havens in Jersey and eventually to Green’s wife’s Monaco bank account. The dodge saved Green, and cost the British tax payer, close to £300m. GBP This tax arrangement remains in place. Any time it takes his fancy, Green can pay himself huge sums of money without having to pay any tax.

Before the election, the Lib Dems liked to talk tough on tax avoiders. But as soon as they entered the coalition, this pre-election bluster became just another inconvenient promise they quietly forgot. In August David Cameron appointed the country’s most notorious serial-tax avoider to advise the government on how best to slash public spending. Not a single Lib Dem minister uttered a word of complaint. A Guardian editorial denounced this as “shameful”.

Philip Green’s £285m GBP tax dodge could pay for:
• The full, hiked up £9,000 GBP tuition fees for almost 32,000 students.
• Pay the salaries of 20,000 NHS nurses.
And if that’s not reason enough to take action against Sir Philip, it is worth noting that he has built his £5bn GBP fortune on the back of sweatshop labour, using Mauritius sweatshops where Sri Lankans, Indians and Bangladeshis toil 12 hours a day, six days a week, for minimum of 12 hours daily, six days a week for minimal pay.
smart-money-rule-governments-philip-green.jpg

Last edited by Gotno Gizmo; 6th December 2010 at 15:37. Reason: Typing errors
Old 6th December 2010, 18:10

If you're dis satisfied with Mr Green stop going to his stores! I'm sure that there are other suitable places.
Vote with your business. If you think he draws too much salary for running a huge company cast your vote by going somewhere else.
It's your choice.

I work 12-18 hours a day all summer long to make my living. Since my field is seasonable I charge more because it can't be done is the winter. With careful planning and a stable job I don't have to work during the winter months. That is my choice, I've been working in this field for 37 years and I command a little more $$ that someone just begining, Why? Because I know what I'm doing and I'm good at it.. The contractors pay it gladly... Why? Because they choose to. There are lessor quality out there that will gladly charge less but they produce less also.
Old 6th December 2010, 18:25

History is full of choices that were made. Some good and some bad.
My ancestors left Dedham England way back in the early 1600's for America and religious freedoms. Why? Because they chose to.

Later on in the late 1700's they disagreed with the King of England over taxes. They helped eject the King from governing over them. They chose that option.

Slavery is is outlawed everywhere I believe and having indentured servants is passe' too. You have made choices, right or wrong that controls your destiny.
The people working in those sweatshops that were mentioned, They chose to come to that sweatshop and work. Their choice. It's probably is better than the work available in their homelands. Right?
Old 6th December 2010, 19:10

I was thinking about this "evil profiteer" you mentioned. Mr and Mrs Green must be doing something right and entirely legal or I'm sure that the English Government would be more than happy to toss him in chains to the Tower of London for tax evasion.
Here the IRS is in charge of tax collections and they would be happy to sieze the property and assets to get their due. I assume that the Queen and the slackers in the government wants her share of the profits also. BTW IIRC the Queen is THE richest person in the world. Rag on her a bit too.
Old 7th December 2010, 11:39

Gotno Gizmo is on a distinguished road
AkMike:
I think that you and Sarah Palin must be living in a very cosy (apart from the climate) environment in your far corner of North America, because neither of you seem to comprehend what is going on the real world. Your platitudes may have had some meaning back in the 1960’s but have little merit in the 2010’s. You do not seem to comprehend the evidence from the texts of the many postings I have placed on this website, which for the most part is not my opinion but actually facts. They concern the manipulation of countries economies by mega rich multi-national corporations and oligarch businessmen. I am happy for you, in that your apparently “village” like situation, that your livelihood is not at risk. That is certainly not true of many of your countrymen in the industrial body of the USA, or Britain and elsewhere. Furthermore, you say that these poor people who work in sweatshops have a choice. They must compete for others for what work they can get or go hungry, that is their choice. Your forefathers had an escape option, but even if people from such countries can save for an air/ boat ticket, do you imagine that any richer countries will let them in?

Look again at the list of stores that Richard Green owns. I can assure you that he now owns the greater part of the average British High Street. Thus, your suggestion to shop elsewhere is not an easy option. By his aggressive and manipulative (but within a narrow band of legality), he put fair value minded smaller shopkeepers (little people like you) out of business a long time ago. Clothing choice in my country is limited, in that if we want to buy quality, it can only be found in those remaining shops for the “well to do”, and alas we are all driven to economise in these times. As I’ve said before we are now in an era when we are forced to buy our own unemployment.

I reiterate my main thread argument that Global Business Oligarchy is now stronger than the world’s leading governments and I shall endeavour to continue showing evidence of this, provided that this website does not block me from doing so. Western governments dare not tax the rich too much or raise corporation tax for fear of their reprisals. I see that President Obama has been forced to maintain the tax concessions to the richest in the USA, created by the Bush administration. Do you think he will grant you a tax break? I don’t think so! Britain’s last so called “Labour” government did not dare take big business on and the current Conservative majority government is “in bed” with the oligarchy anyway.

Finally concerning the British monarchy; I regret that Her Majesty’s good office has been used to host dodgy Presidents and even give Knighthoods to many oligarch types in the name of diplomacy and trade cooperation. In my view, doing so devalues her office and by granting “Sir” to Richard Green for his services to commerce does this. OK, he employs thousands of people, but didn’t the shops he replaced also employ shop staff. I seem to recall that they did, with better training and a higher service level. If you see Forbes rich list, you will see that HM Queen Elizabeth II is a low grade “also ran” of wealth ownership. You really should read Forbes as you seem to have much to learn about who owns what within your country and elsewhere.
Old 7th December 2010, 17:13

Why not worry more about the general theme of this forum? Ukraine!

Your posts seldom have anything to do with that.

Post about Yushenko, Yannokovich. Timesenko and such.Tell of the mafia tie in with UKO construction company or the flower girls in the bazzar.