Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Society > Politics

Notices

Chocolate, the story of our future?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21st October 2010, 12:57

Gotno Gizmo is on a distinguished road
Chocolate, the story of our future?

In England, several years ago, Quakers entered into the cocoa and chocolate processing business. As their enterprises grew, being good Christians, they used part of the profits to build new and decent homes for their employees to live in, and later school houses within which their employee’s children could gain an education. This was a revolutionary event at a time when the vast majority of workers were being exploited, with children forced to work in coal mines, and with all workers being housed in appalling conditions etc.
In more recent times, the inheritors of these now well established business enterprises, had abandoned their predecessor’s virtues and adapted greater cash generating business methods. The charitable approach to the employees had long since gone. The wholesomeness of their original chocolate products was reduced by the addition of vegetable fats and other cheaper ingredients to increase profitability. At this point these enterprises became subject to the “Smart Money” global oligarchy. Kraft (USA) and Nestle (Switzerland) who came along with cash offers that secured these businesses and their successful brands for global marketing.
Subsequently, these processing plants have been, or are being gradually closed down. Jobs that funded working class families are being lost. The chocolate production is mostly being taken out of England or otherwise being consolidated into one of the new owner’s fully mechanised food processing plants where little human labour is required.
I tell this story because it illustrates the situation prevailing, that is giving rise to growing unrest amongst the working classes, not only in England but across much of Europe. Young people are being especially frustrated. Commerce takes advantage of their immaturity by persuading them that they must possess their brand of goods (often more expensive), at a time when the same organisations are removing the possibility of these young persons ability to earn within their localities. Is it a wonder that they are starting to riot on the streets at every opportunity.
I suspect that many of you in the USA particularly, will smell a “commie” here. Because of my past personal experiences in communist Europe, I hate all that occurred under the auspices of the hammer and sickle. Furthermore my own intelligence tells me that a regime who tries to pay its bus drivers a similar rate of pay to its brain surgeons is on a road to ruin. But there must be a middle way. Global capitalism is impacting badly on people’s lives and the environment and must not be allowed to run amok because weak governments do not have the balls to stand up to their sophisticated multi-national, bordering on fraud, tax evading, self serving interests, that are becoming harmful to everyone else.

Last edited by Gotno Gizmo; 21st October 2010 at 13:02. Reason: Typing errors
Old 21st October 2010, 13:31
Quarantined User

nickcsadler has a spectacular aura aboutnickcsadler has a spectacular aura aboutnickcsadler has a spectacular aura about
I totally agree Gotno.... we must stand against this capitalist attack....
Old 21st October 2010, 16:10

Hi Nick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcsadler View Post
I totally agree Gotno.... we must stand against this capitalist attack....
I would like to believe that really do agree with me, but are you humouring me also?
Old 21st October 2010, 18:19
Quarantined User

nickcsadler has a spectacular aura aboutnickcsadler has a spectacular aura aboutnickcsadler has a spectacular aura about
No... I do agree... the capitalists need a reality check and they MUST be taxed fully and fairly... we are being screwed by the establishment...
Old 3rd November 2010, 10:37

Angry New Zealand and Australia to be outsourced?

Since starting this thread, I have now read that Cadbury's chocolate in New Zealand and Australia are closing their chocolate and confectionery production plants. Much of the production will be diverted to a highly mechanised production unit employing much fewer people. In their boiled sweet sector future production in China is under consideration.
These moves are being initiated by the pressure of the stock markets who are demanding higher profit margins.
Old 17th November 2010, 07:59

Ukraine Slave Labour!

An extract of a letter to the former Prime Minister of Great Britain Gordon Brown by a protest group against the Cadbury's Chocolate takeover. Note the reference at the end about Ukraine slave labour.

The Cadbury factory at Somerdale in Keynsham is to be closed and all production sent to Poland

This is a totally unique British company where 98% of all that is produced in Britain is consumed here in Britain. It was started in Britain 253 years ago and has been in Keynsham for almost 100 years. Cadbury is a hugely profitable company. Somerdale, with no financial input or help for the past 10 years still remains the most profitable of all the sites.

Keynsham will be devastated by the move. It will rob the local economy of at least £26 million. Keynsham needs Cadburys to remain here.

This is all being driven by an American private equity group, with Nelson Peltz at the helm, hell bent on the destruction of Somerdale, with the other sites of Chirk, Marlebrook and eventually Bourneville to meet the same tragic fate.
N. Peltz admits openly to be only interested in his own financial gain. He also admits he has no respect whatsoever for the 281 year old British company's history, the community or the irreparable damage to our planet with the 7 million food miles a year that will be added.
This is diabolical in an age where we, as a nation, are so terribly aware of the most awful impact this thoughtless, none caring action will make. We are meant to be one of the leading countries when it comes to caring for the planet and expect others to sit up, take notice and follow suit. This would be a total embarrassment to the Labour government.

There is also the issue that the Polish people will not be the ones being employed in the factory. The jobs will be filled with the people from the Ukraine who will be openly exploited. This would amount to modern day slave labour.
Old 17th November 2010, 15:32
bm-21Lemko

Sorry to hear about the bad news. I'm not sure what this situation is like in Britain to make the company want to move the factory or what factors are contributing to such a move.

I know here in the U.S. specifically in the autobelt that jobs moved away because unions demanded too much and it just was no longer profitable to make cars and pay workers for what they were demanding even though the companies were still making a profit.

I don't know if you saw the movie the social network but it was interesting what the dean had said of students going to Harvard that they encourage their students to create jobs not take jobs.

Quote:
No... I do agree... the capitalists need a reality check and they MUST be taxed fully and fairly... we are being screwed by the establishment...
I'm sorry Nick but do you not use a computer or drive a car???