Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Personals > Personals

Notices

HELP,.....Wedding ring customs!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29th May 2003, 18:47

YouAreAnOak
I have recently received a picture from a girl who seems to be serious about a relationship, in this picture that is supposed to be a recent one, she was wearing a ring on the wedding ring of her left hand as it is normal in the United States for a woman to wear an egagement or wedding ring, .....bla bla. When I asked about the ring she wrote to me explaining that in Ukraine the customs on wearing a ring are very different and that it is completely the opposite, she said that it is so different that in Ukraine they wear the wedding ring on the right hand.

I wonder if there is anyone out there who may confirm or clarify on the subject!!!
Old 29th May 2003, 21:40

Irinka
Hi

Yes, we do wear the wedding ring on the right hand, your sweetie is telling the truth.
Old 29th May 2003, 23:19

YouAreAnOak
Thanks!

Thank's a bunch for the reply!

Any other differences in our customs that I should know about?
Old 30th May 2003, 04:43

Irinka
Talking you're welcome

Well, that's a potentially gun-powder loaded question
I do not know your preferences or current circumstances, it's hard to say how far you and your gal would go in following customs, I do not even know her background.
For example my aunt (28 years old) had a very old fashioned Ukrainian Kozak wedding, it included 3 days if insane festivities, killing a nice fat goat, ceremonial "putting to bed" (half the village crowds into the couple's bedroom where they are ceremonially put to bed and covered with blankets, they don't make love or anything, it's just an old custom ) and then everyone goes back to saluting and toasting at the dinner table, also both sets of parents open all the gifts and show to the rest of the village, there's also the custom of the groom stealing his bride and escaping on horseback... but this hasn't been done in quite a while.
If your fiance is an ordinary city girl, a white dress and a small family dinner usually does a job, but always remember gifts for her parents, very important

Marriage traditions vary from one area of Ukraine to another, some customs are pretty funny, but I only know all this because my family is huge and some customs are still in use, the wacky ones have been dropped lol.

I don't think this helps you much, because your sweetie may be Jewish Ukrainian or Russian and that's a whole different set of traditions. Just ask her

Old 7th June 2003, 08:49

fenicks
traditions

Hi Irinka,

thanks for the nice suggestions Since my Maraiage to an ordinary russian city girl is upcumming I would like to hear some more tradions and habits. The marriage will take place in the Netherlands bus I still want to suprize her with it.

Please could you tell some more about it?

Regards,

Nick
Old 7th June 2003, 23:14

Irinka
Smile

I don't really know what to say, you may pleasantly surprise her with an engagement ring, but the wedding ceremony is a very personal matter, you need to know her preferences.
You say she's Russian and not Ukrainian? It doesn't make much of a difference though if she's in a big city like Kiev or Odessa, maby you can ask the same question at http://www.russia.com
Old 8th June 2003, 21:52

fenicks
Cool

Hi Irenka,

I somehow already gave her that ring lol

But understand what ypu are meaning, she is from Donetsk though. But I might want to surprise her parents when they attend to our wedding with a little traditional habit like a simple thing but still to give them a home feeling to it.

Regards,

Nick