Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Personals > Personals

Notices

I am looking for Ukrainian husband

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16th June 2003, 18:25

yurilev0
Zbyszek!

It appears that Listek has lost interest in communicating with me any further. I encourage you to speak to her if you wish without fear of interrupting anything. By the way, your reply to my question re the Belarussian language and Reszyspospolita sparked an interesting and stimulating discussion around the dinner table. I am grateful.

Yuri
Old 16th June 2003, 21:00

Zbyszek is on a distinguished road
I bet Listek will come back

Hi Yuri, I think Listek is just much occupied with her professional matters. The final school day for all types of public schools is Wednesday, June 18. Then , we have a holiday on Thursday (Corpus Christi Day). Listek is probably under enormous pressure of her daily tasks. I am aware of it because my wife is also a teacher. I think Listek will come back soon.
Yuri, I am glad I could indirectly make your dinner a bit special. Sometimes it seems to be that Belarussians living currently in Poland (Bialystok area) are more Belarussian than their mates in Belarus ...lol.

To Rysalka... Now I feel strengthened, more lively and ready to share more after such a nice encouragement.
Frankly, I can't believe I would be able to get such a response because my Eglish which is still imperfect is basically a product of my own hard work. I have never had a native English teacher.
Regards
Zbigniew

[Edited by Zbyszek on 16th June 2003 at 23:57]
Old 16th June 2003, 22:01

yurilev0
Zbyszek!

Hi Zbigniew,

Thank you for your words. Your English is very good by the way, as I read your posts I do not hear in my minds ear either a stutter, wrong use of words or an accent.

It's interesting what you say about the Belarussians in Poland. To some degree that applies to Ukrainians. Ukrainians abroad, within the general diaspora speak Ukrainian, and they are often disappointed when they come visit Ukraine and hear Russian spoken, especially in the east. From what I've seen and heard, however, that is slowly changing.

I have followed some of the exchanges that you continue to have with silly Misha. You are very patient with this small brained creature and I commend you for it. I had to verbally spank him in the end, and I do not like becoming the person who does that. I perceive that one of the greatest problems people have in their discussion of history is to not see the subtle gray areas of life. We weren't there in the past, so to speak, so almost nobody is in a position to declare ironclad truth. We can only read and surmise from our observations in as scholarly a way as possible.

Let me just say that I admire your intellect and knowledge. You are knowledgeable with the right amount of humility.

Yuri
Old 18th June 2003, 23:20

Listekwiatremgnany
I'm back and I'm sorry (psheprasham)for not being here.
Zbyszek was right. I was under pressure. Now I have some more time to write... by the way Yuri, I sent You a message last week. Your e-mail doesn't work? I send some e-mails every day and I haven't any problems with them.
I had lots of work. Some of my lazy students tried to fight. In vain. My 6 students will have to take an exam before the end of August.

Yuri! In Lviv I stayed (and I'm going to stay) in the Hotel Lviv. I know one person there - a vet who is the president of the Society for the Protection of Animals in the West Ukraine. We used to meet on converences in Poland several times and I met him in Lviv when I was there last year. I met some people in Ukraine - my friend's colleques, etc
Do You come to Ukraine very often? Does your family still live there?

To Zbyszek.
I don't feel ofended. I know lots of jokes about militiamen... are You a police officer? Were you a militiaman?
Thanks for nice words addressed to me (and about me).

What about your English, gentelmen, You have both great accents, perfect use of words ...You are great.
I know Yuri was born in English speaking country (am I wrong?) but Zbyszek, if you aren't a native You must be very smart or odd? Is it just intuition linguistique? I've been teaching too long to believe that it's just your hard
work. You must have spent some time abroad.

It's nice to be here with you again.
Lystek
Old 19th June 2003, 11:53

To the LeafTwirledByTheWind

Hi Listek, nice that you came back and it is pity I did not make a bet with Yuri about it. I could have won a pack of beer.
I believe you when you say that you are experienced in teaching but I can' t believe you do not see some imperfections of my English. I work on it almost every day but living in a Polish environment does not help me. I talk from time to time with Pan Zamoyski in my university lunch hall. He is a native English speaker he he teaches English in Warsaw University of Technology. You may have heard of him because of his well-know anti-cheating campaign (see the School Project board or a thread about Petro Mohyla and Adam Kysil in the History board).
Yes, I have been to the Northern England for ...three days. I spent more time in Holland but the Dutchmen are not native English speakers and they make some characteristic language errors although they speak Eglish way better than the Poles.
Luckily, I had nothing to do with militia or police except for my mandatory visits there when applying for a passport from time to time. (formerly, the passport departments in Poland were placed in the police headquarters).
I can say that foreign lands came to me three years ago when my miraculously discovered (by the Internet!) family from the USA (Arizona and New Jersey) visited me in Warsaw. So believe me, my limited abilities are mainly a product of my own work. I write pretty slowly and that way I can avoid some errors I would surely make while speaking.
So believe me please that my still limited and imperfect English usage ability is a product of my work enhanced by a strong motivation of being able to understand and be understood.
Greetings to you and I hope you will stay here for longer.

To Yuri,
Thank you for your warm words. As an engineer, I feel need to relax from time to time and devote some time to historic discussions which I like very much. I would like to assure you that Ukraine along with with other Rzeczpospolita borderlands are viewed with the warm sentiment in Poland but usually these are mellow memories without the nationalist colour.
Maybe you know the name of Adam Mickiewicz who is regarded as the greatest Polish poet. Mickiewicz considered himself a Lihuanian in a more narrow sense and a Pole in a broader sense (broader than what the conventional wisdom commands us to say nowadays). He started his greatest poem, a national bible, with the puzzling words "Lithuania, my country!". Even his contemporaries were uneasy and nowadays it seems even more strange. I think Mickiewicz was right and his idea is live. The statues of Mickiewicz stand in Vilnius and Lviv and even communists dared not demolish them.

[Edited by Zbyszek on 19th June 2003 at 14:14]
Old 19th June 2003, 14:13

yurilev0
Listek and Zyszek

Pryvit Listek,

I sent you an email a couple of days ago. Yes, I received yours, everything is in order. My brother in law knows a reknowned vet in Lviv. I will ask his name and see if he is the very same one.

Yes, I was born in the good old USA to nationalistic parents from Lviv. I spoke Ukrainian before English. Writing is one of my natural gifts so I take pleasure in using words as artistically as I can. I basically learned English on the streets as a small child. I remember my first English words being SHUT UP. I heard them being used constantly on the streets by older kids. If you wish to write tome at my email address I welcome it very much.

To Zbigniew,

Wouldn't it be funny if I knew your family? I live in New Jersey around 50 kilometers from New York. There are many Poles in my community here. One of my favorite Polish-Americans is a Dr. Krol, who works at the hospital where I am employed. He is very down to earth and is never full of himself like most American doctors.

Zbig, I hope you will tell me more about this event in Volhynnia that was perpetrated by UPA during the war. I am shocked that they would do such a thing because I grew up with the idealistic notion that all they wanted was freedom. I am curious about the circumstances, and the whereabouts of the men of the village. Perhaps you will address this in the Poland-Ukraine forum?

It's good to see both of you here. Please have a wonderful day!

Yuri
Old 20th June 2003, 08:09

Personal histories

Quote:
Originally posted by yurilev0
To Zbigniew,

Wouldn't it be funny if I knew your family? I live in New Jersey around 50 kilometers from New York. There are many Poles in my community here. One of my favorite Polish-Americans is a Dr. Krol, who works at the hospital where I am employed. He is very down to earth and is never full of himself like most American doctors.

Zbig, I hope you will tell me more about this event in Volhynnia that was perpetrated by UPA during the war. I am shocked that they would do such a thing because I grew up with the idealistic notion that all they wanted was freedom. I am curious about the circumstances, and the whereabouts of the men of the village. Perhaps you will address this in the Poland-Ukraine forum?
Yuri
Hello Yuri, my family resides in a little town near New York named Oakland. They arrived in 1912 (when Poland was under the Tzarist rule) , originally to Pennsylvania (Scranton area). They have the same family name as mine. They had their farms in the beginning and their life was not so much different from the one they had in Poland. Then, they moved to New York and their life became more "American". Four years ago a lady from Phoenix, Arizona found my last name on the Internet and asked me kindly whether we might be a family. After my extensive family research including digging in the parish records I could answer: yes to my own big surprise.
Yuri, you could read something I once wrote about the Japanese medicine in the Open Board forum.
http://www.ukraine.com/forums/showth...1532#post41532
My cousin was surprised with many things in Poland and one of them was considerably better communication between doctors and patients on ordinary daily talk basis.
Yuri, I have a very important family event (wedding) in just two weeks so I have to suspend my activity here. Ulysses started a new topic in the History forum and I hope it will not be dominated by the extremists of all kinds. In spite of all angry rhetorics both people need to forgive and be forgiven. Eastern parts of Poland (Lublin lands) are just adjacent to Volhynia/Volyn so these tragic events are memorized better and in more personal way. Stalin made this subject a taboo and he did not allow any serious research. I even do not know whether any legal investigations took place after WWII in Volhynia.
A few years ago a good, monumental book was published in Poland about history of the former Polish borderland and it includes the English summaries of the most interesting chapters. It is a set of articles written by Polish, Ukrainian, Lithuanian, Belarussian and other historians.
I mentioned this in the Genealogy forum
http://www.ukraine.com/forums/showth...2452#post52452