Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Personals > Personals

Notices

Average salary in Ukraine

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 1st April 2003, 19:41

stigharaldsson
How high is the average salary in Ukraine? I've heard everything between 28 US a month to 60 US a month.

Is there a big difference between the different parts of the country? Which part is the poorest? How does Kharkov rate in comparison to Kiev, Lviv, Krim, Donbass etc.?
Old 2nd April 2003, 11:15

Irene1972
RUbbish! Who will survive on $60 per month here? Even the lowest qualification secretary in th eoffice receives $100 per month. Generally, secretary salary is $100-$300 per month. Managers - 150-350$ per month, administrators - 200-500$ and higher. Who told you this fairy-tale about 28$ pe month? OUr lowest pensions are this high. The smaller the town the poorer and more provincial it is. I was startled at poverty in small towns of Crimea.
Old 2nd April 2003, 18:22

Ulysses
According to this paper

It seems like the average salary is a little more than 100 dollars.
http://day.kiev.ua/DIGEST/2002/25/den-pln/dp3.htm

Mr. Sakhan treated the shocking statistic with his inherent optimism. Today, the average salary in Ukraine is officially established at 398 hryvnias. Considering how much people get off the record, it is safe to assume that the actual amount is 50-60% higher. In other words, the actual living standard is higher. One might as well ask the minister of labor whether this means that the state is gradually putting up with being cheated by its citizens. 250-300 hryvnias is an official salary only at the spending units, meaning that the amount does not actually and significantly increase due to various additional payments. True, considering the shadow money turnover at budget-financed institutions, such meager official pay does not call forth any special sympathy.
Old 2nd April 2003, 20:02

albatros
Quote:
Originally posted by Irene1972
RUbbish! Who will survive on $60 per month here? Even the lowest qualification secretary in th eoffice receives $100 per month. Generally, secretary salary is $100-$300 per month. Managers - 150-350$ per month, administrators - 200-500$ and higher.
This may be true for Kiev and Odessa, outside these city's many do have to survive on $50-60 a month. I know several very well educated people who make this kind of money with a full time job which leaves them little time to earn some extra bucks in the shadow economy. As a general rule, public sector jobs (teachers, medical profession) receive a meager payment.

I'm not talking about government officials "close to the heat", most of them would be in Kiev anyway.
Old 2nd April 2003, 20:36

stigharaldsson
I met an African guy working in an Internet cafe as well who made 10 hryvnias a day (which I suppose would be around 40 US a month)and I dated a girl who worked in waiting who made the same amount of money. I also met a female doctor who claimed her regular salary was only 20 US a month but 40 US if you counted the black money included. This was all in Kharkov though.

It would be interesting to see what the median salary is as the average salary doesn't always describe what "most" people make in third world countries.

Old 5th April 2003, 21:52

LippyChick
Quote:
Originally posted by Irene1972
RUbbish! Who will survive on $60 per month here? Even the lowest qualification secretary in th eoffice receives $100 per month. Generally, secretary salary is $100-$300 per month. Managers - 150-350$ per month, administrators - 200-500$ and higher. Who told you this fairy-tale about 28$ pe month? OUr lowest pensions are this high. The smaller the town the poorer and more provincial it is. I was startled at poverty in small towns of Crimea.
And school teachers earn?

LippyChick
Old 6th April 2003, 07:17

Irene1972
it's an official salary. By tutoring teachers usually do much more money. My father, for example has three salaries on tutoring. He's a teacher.

I want to say tha tthese talks aboutlow salaries in Ukraine are very helpful for scammers who use them to get money from soft-hearted foreigners. I don't support such low-salary talks.