Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Personals > Personals

Notices

Marriage in Ukraine

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23rd February 2003, 00:55

itsastruggle
Talking

I am getting married to a Ukrainian woman and we have been discussing doing it in the Ukraine. I would like to have her family and friends involved. She is concerned that she has checked and I have to be in the Ukraine for 30 days before I can marry a Ukrainian citizen. I just got back from the Ukraine I don't have enough vacation to spend a month there. When I go back in June I will be able to stay for 2 weeks.
Does anyone know a way around this 30 days thing. I have been told that I could slip the people at the marriage office some money and be able to get married after 1 week. I would rather find a better approach to this.
Can she file for our marriage without me being there.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Keith
Old 23rd February 2003, 03:58

Capri
Keith,
Congrats on your upcoming marriage! I am an American woman who will be meeting her love in Ukraine in 11 days. We have also discussed marriage and I have checked and read upon what is required. I have not heard about the 30 Day rule. I can ask my sweetheart about this. If you do find out more about the marriage process please let me know. Thanks and best wishes to you and yours.

Capri
Old 24th February 2003, 17:10

V-G has a spectacular aura aboutV-G has a spectacular aura aboutV-G has a spectacular aura about
Just double check with a lawer... I have never heard of any 30 day rule, it sounds unreasonable to me. Yeh, when you talk to a lawer he/she will tell you if the rule exists and if it does, how to go around it.
Good luck,
Old 24th February 2003, 17:58

Capri
My boyfriend tells me that there is a 30 day waiting period. This is due to the large number of young people wanting to marry. Guess they want to make sure that these people really want to get married. You can bribe the ZAG official, but this is risky and what guarantee will you have? I think V-G is right and you may want to consult a lawyer to get all the correct facts. Your other alternative is to apply for a Fiancee Visa and have her come to the US, but it sounds like you wish to marry in Ukraine. If you have any other questions, please ask. This is helping me too!

Capri
Old 25th February 2003, 07:12

itsastruggle
Talking

Thanks for all the information. I would really like to get married in the Ukraine but there is no way I can spend 30 days there. I would hate to be in a country not my own get caught trying to bribe someone.
We have already started the K1 visa process and may be the way we have to go.
If I find anything new I will let you know.
Thanks,
Keith
Old 25th February 2003, 07:16

V-G has a spectacular aura aboutV-G has a spectacular aura aboutV-G has a spectacular aura about
Wink

its sad... but bribes in Ukraine are so common, that your little marriage thing will never be noticed... but its your call... GOOD LUCK. I would still get a lawyer, and if you do, do not get some fresh out of law school cheap one... get someone experienced.
Old 28th February 2003, 19:54

OlenaKiev
Hello Keith!!!
May I tell you some advices. I know some answers on your qeustions.
Actually it is truth that ZAGS needs about 30 days for getting papers together, but to my mind what much to get there if you see the intention of people to be together. You can have faster procedure if you have some special reasons like your airplane's tickets in a week, she is pregnant... blah.. blah..blah they can prepare your papers for three day of course if you won't come on Saturday and Sunday and go away on Thursday, as they work till 12 pm on Sat, and don't work on Sun and Mon, plus they need not less than 3 days to make papers. of course you will need some money (sorry I have no idea about amount) as first of all you will be in Ukraine and there are lots of silly people who are not polite.... yuck... I hate this BERMUD (central ZAGS). They will need a list of papers you will need to bring with yourself to Kiev from US. Your woman can get to know about them paying 10 gryvna in ZAGS for consultation with bad attitude from ladies there...

Now the most important part... Are you sure about marriage in Ukraine? do you want to bring your woman to US? Do you know that you will have to wait for I-134 (K3 Visa) for years. Don't do this. Moreover you started process for K1 Visa. I can assure you that it will be faster. And question? To what office you brought papers? Vermont? if it is, you are lucky. It will take about couple months to get aproval. If you are in Nebraska... You are not lucky :-(( it will take about 5 or 6 months. Actually now they are faster, sometimes and with someones :-(

Wish you the best with your woman and Visa. I will be glad to keep in touch with you as we are in the same situation :-)
Olenka