LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 8th June 2003, 20:44

fenicks
Hi Olena,

Nice to hear from you
I marked my coments with a star *

Quote:
Hello Nick,
The matter is that every country has own rules about marriage, so there are different enquirments about papers and procedures.

*I know the mess and possible problems, studied them and learned quite well from them. That is the Duch ones.

quote:
Originally posted by fenicks
For as far as I know in the whole of Europe there is the procedure that you have to go first into under marriage before you can marriage. The precise orgigine is at this moment not known to me but I believe it was in the past also because of the blood tests to prefvent incompetible bloodgroups and procedures to check if you are not related or married already.

Yes, in European countries you must quit previous marriage and of course to have evidence of this.
As I know Ukraine government doesn't demand blood test neither for Ukrainian couples, nor for foreign fiancees.

*True also in the Netherlands now a days not anymore but it is where all this is comming from just like the american marriage licence is somehow dirivided from it but lets not get to deep in it. I was just trying to ansew Keiths question where this rule comes from. And the possible ways around it.

quote:
For as far as i know the waiting periode after the mariage differs from country to country but it does not tell that you will have to spend this time together.

We talked about waiting time for visa before marriage (fiancee visa) or after marriage (spousal visa)in US. For K1 Visa (fiancee visa) The most couples can't meet during visa process. Because of this fact we talked with JC about times which is needed to obtain visa for fiancee and spouse to know what one will be shorter. It is too hard to wait and if petition is going through TSC or NSC it takes around 7-8 months. It is very long time. I hope in your country it is shorter.
Thanks JC who had found info that it is faster to obtaine visa getting married in Ukraine and then do process through US Embassy in Kiev.

*Understood it, I think i miss read Keiths original message where he also tells that he seems to have to stay for 30 days physacaly inside the country and that his girlfriend is concerned about an control. But i understood why he did follow this path. Besides that i think it is nicer to marry in the Ukraine since it then is for all Ukrainin family members (easier) posibly to attend the wedding.

Since in the Netherlands an registered partnership has got the same legal status as marriage in the Netherlands it does not make an difference if you will marry or not. But I discovered that an application made in the Ukrain is mostly taking some more time to process. This because of that (at least in the Netherlands) the embassy will first send the documents to the foreignaffairs office who will send it to the imigrations office who will ask the regional foreingers/strangers police for advice (read their opinion if it is an fake mariage and to check if you fullfill all demands and really know the person (they will simply know by how you behave and tell about your partner , rather then ask intimate questoins or interigate you) Then the advice will be send to the imigrations office who will decide (mostly follow up the recomandation of the strangers police then it will follow the same line back to the Ukraine. Then the Embassy will invite you for an intervieuw to check and issue an MVV visa for the Netherlands with an transit for schengen counties (open european border, read most EEC countries) After arrival of the Fiancee an appointment has to be made with the foreingers police to start the official procedure for an residence permit ( this is though mainly an formality, read you have to do some registrations at the local goverment and the person from outside the Schengen counties will have to undergo an tubercolsis test (tough if it is positive treatment will follow)). So to make an short cut you can nowadays (new rules since about 2years) also apply directly at the foreigners police and shot cut the bureaucraty. This will gain you weeks so not months, depends on the work pile at an immigrations or foreinaffairs office.

In my case I got 3 weeks after the apply (with all required ducuments and fullfilling all recuirements (read 130% above minimum living standard income and an minimum requirment of an temporarycontract valid for at least still one year on the date of the application. Advisable is also to have proof of constant work for the last 3years or an steady contract)correctly filled in translated and legalised and translated if needed)

quote:
I do not know the possibilities in the Ukrainian law but there is normally an minimum and maximum date of maraiage. So you can Marry between those both dates. In the Netherlands this is after a couple of weeks till one year after the signing of the document.

sorry, what dates you mean? Is it like marriage license in US which you need to get before marriage for a week or more?
Olenka

*I meant that in the Neterlands after you went in under marriage you will have to wait for some weeks before you really marry( I think this is comparisable with the requirement in the Ukraine (they have to register also atleast one month before they want to marry)It steands nowhere though that the partner phisicaly has to be inside the country for that time. It can be though that this is an requirement in the Ukraine though like Keith said.
So in The Neterlands the marriage licence (called under marriage) is valid from a few weeks after issue till one year after issue.

My idea was to register and go back to the US and come back after at least one month to marry.

Important thiough is to enter the Ukraine with an multiple entry visa or an visa valid for tree months (tell to the Ukrainian Embassy you are going there for an longer period for marriage) after arrival in the Ukraine register at the Policeoffice (dept stangers police/passport issueing) that you will live in the house of your Fiancee for the time of the visa validation and pay the required taxes for this.
They now will normally check if you really have left the country after the time you payed duties/taxes for. If you might get an control let the family tell you are away to some ralatives for some days or a week. The chance of any control if you have paid and registered is very small though.

If for any change they would check (because you are a foreinger wanting to marry a Ukrainian girl and only for this reason then it is because they believe you went back to the US and expect a bribe from it, I guess because for the police to check up on you normaly it is because you did not register at the police after your arrival. They have more to do then chekking if an foreigner wanting to marry a ukrainian girl really is present in her house. Ofcourse this is an asumption though

(After you where helped at the police with registration you could offer the ladies some little present f.e. a chocolatebar (some kind of bribe custome from comunist times, but it is apreciated and so might work)

For me my girlfriend is currently living here since almost an year. But is often in the Ukraine to finish her last year of university. (we expected the procedure to take at least 3moanths and where warned it could take longer.

It turned out to be possible within tree weeks. We are planning to marry at the end of this year but not because we have to for a residence permit but because we want to.

Regards,

Nick
Old 12th June 2003, 19:21

OlenaKiev
Hello Nick,
I wanted to explain you some subjects from this thread sorry for delay with it

Quote:
*Understood it, I think i miss read Keiths original message where he also tells that he seems to have to stay for 30 days physacaly inside the country and that his girlfriend is concerned about an control. But i understood why he did follow this path.
Actually he must not stay in Ukraine physically while process in ZAGS is going. He can go there and back, but it is too expansive and uncomfortable, moreover it can happen that papers will be ready soon, so the best way is to stay in Ukraine for this month or more.
Quote:
Besides that i think it is nicer to marry in the Ukraine since it then is for all Ukrainin family members (easier) posibly to attend the wedding.
cool….. I always adore this thoughts of fiance-foreigners, they always worry about fiancee’s relatives. It is really nice, but as for me it is not so important where I will get married, I worry only about my further life, happiness and not about ceremony. Maybe I am wrong?

Quote:
*I meant that in the Neterlands after you went in under marriage you will have to wait for some weeks before you really marry( I think this is comparisable with the requirement in the Ukraine (they have to register also atleast one month before they want to marry)
As I understand requirements of Ukraine - they tell that when you filled application out, it doesn’t mean you went under marriage. You are in marriage after ceremony. Waiting time for marriage ceremony is not a month always, you can get married faster if you don’t need splendid ceremony in ZAGS. Of course except of marriage with foreigners, but to my mind another reason of waiting so long is wish of officers of ZAGS to get more money.

Quote:
after arrival in the Ukraine register at the Policeoffice (dept stangers police/passport issueing) that you will live in the house of your Fiancee for the time of the visa validation and pay the required taxes for this. They now will normally check if you really have left the country after the time you payed duties/taxes for. If you might get an control let the family tell you are away to some ralatives for some days or a week. The chance of any control if you have paid and registered is very small though.
Now you don’t need to be registered in Ukrainian Police. So none will check you and you can move in country as you wish!

Regards,
Olenka
Old 13th June 2003, 05:59

fenicks
Registration at foreign police

Ho Olena,

As I understood one of the big problems for Keith was that he had to be in the Ukraine for a period of 30 days after he filled in the paper that he wants to get married (this is under marriage, it is also here not more it is just a left over that is still in the law but it has no legal status, so you are not married).

From what I understand from you then Keith could go after filling in the mariage papers go back to work and come back for marriage after the 30periode.

You are right with your looks on the ceremony but for a lot of parents it feels different and also a lot of people in the west especially girls but also boys consider their weddingday an important day that if all goes well will be for life. But you are right the period afterwards is even more important.

I noticed that in Ukraine also people like my Fiancee think like you do it is just an formality, but why do it then so quickly and is living together not done or acceted so well? Here young people mostly life together for some years before they marry as a kind of test to see if they want to commit to this person for the rest of his life.

For the police part, I must inform you that you are partionatly wrong. By Uktrainian Law a foreigner should register within 3 workingdays after his arrival at the foreigners police at the local police office of the place where he will spend his holliday (tourist Visa) this normally is ofcourse the city/place where the Fiancee is living the hotel is. So the place where you will mainly stay after this registration you can indeed freely travel inside the country.

At the foreign police office you will be registered to be living at that adres officially for the days you paid taxes for (is just a couple of grivna for 30 days but can save yo a lot of trouble)

In the whole of western Europe people have to do the same by Law. We are getting automaticly a trourist visa when we pass the border with at least the ECC countries but officially we will have also to register within 3 days after arrival (ask the local forigners police, other city agencies also here told us it was not needed but after we went for the residence permit they told us that my fiancee was in their computer and she did not register. They told us altough we do not register when we are going somewhere on hollidays this does not mean it is not required. The problems you will get after you broke the law or get controlled by the police)

So in fact this was not an comunist habit but is something that also is in most other countries in the law. If you noticed hotels keep your passports often in the west or Photocopy (xerox) them. This is for controlls by the foreign police and registration. So because tourist in the west did not want to spend hollidaydays on it the tourist industrie solved it with the local goverment. But with stays in private residences this registration will not be done and the taxes mostly called Touristtax will not be paid.

Do not forget that we do not do something does not mean it is not required by law..... and you are right if people are cumming to controll you in the ukraine it is because they know you did not register and can get money out of this They know where you are staying from your visa application.

By the way my fiancees family had an controle once. It was just after i left and they wanted to see if i really had left. I had registerd though for the period i stayed.

regards,

Nick

Old 2nd July 2003, 19:29

Dax
Getting Married in Ukraine

(This article appeared in the Ukrianian Observer Magazine in the Fall of 2002) - Dan Miner-Nordstrom

Getting hitched in Ukraine can be the ultimate cross-cultural experience. It is the equivalent of a lifetime of those oft-advertised home-stays for exchange students or volunteers, a dozen or so ‘Green Card’ and ‘French Kiss’ induced d?j? vu experiences, and one or two misunderstandings about the difference between American and Ukrainian forms of engagement

The most apparent aspect of getting married in Ukraine, besides simply being in love with someone, are the papers that must be stamped and signed, and the offices that must be visited.

It began for Natasha and I with a visit to the friendly neighborhood U.S. consulate, pleasantly located off Artema Street near Lukianovska Metro. We immediately felt very important there, because we went to the start of the line ahead of the many Ukrainians waiting at the gatehouse to file their visa applications or whatnot. I felt guilty too. I wanted to take all these people inside with me. “They’re all with me,” I’d explain.

The guard was not going to let in my cassette tapes of Eminem or my Sony Walkman, nor was he going to let me take in my water bottle. I don’t know what the reason was, but maybe he thought it might contain vodka. After he made sure that I could not possibly be concealing any weapon in my overalls, we passed through another guarded doorway in our entrance to the building.

Inside, there’s one side for Ukrainians, and one side for Americans. The side for Americans has chairs, toys for children, and a water cooler. The side for non-citizens has, guess what? Nothing of the sort! They just have to stand there without water or toys. How nice!

We were there first that afternoon, with the mission of getting a ‘letter of non-impediment to marriage’ notarized by a consular official. After I paid my $35 at the bursar’s window, a sudden rush of people came in with all kinds of requests and problems. I was suddenly stuck at the end of a long, unruly line. Someone had lost his passport. Another man from Iran was inquiring about getting a visa to the US. My heart sank as I heard the consular officials flatly tell him to go back to Iran and apply there. Hah, not likely!

But finally I swore an oath with my hand held high in front of a nice vice-consul that I was not, and had not ever been married. Natasha thought that was pretty funny I think, because Ukrainians don’t usually have to swear an oath for anything. And then we were on our way!

Not so fast, dear readers. Marriage is still more than a hop, skip, and a jump away.

The rules state that this letter of non-impediment to marriage (can I say, LONITM?) must be authenticated at the Foreign Ministry of all places. No problem, I thought. I’ll go there myself. It’s not so easy though, and nobody who only speaks English should try this alone.

The Foreign Ministry is a picturesque building on a bluff above the Dnieper River. I rode Kiev’s funicular trolley to get there, and went to the entrance in the back of the building. There were tons of people there already, sitting outside on benches.

At 9 a.m., just as I showed up, there was a rush to go inside. I went with the flow into a large hall and stood there feeling very helpless until a very nice lady suggested I go take a number. I was number 78, of 78 people. I started filling out a form in Russian, using my pocket dictionary. I was determined to get this done.

Two and a half grueling hours later, I finally made it to the window, and turned in my documents. The lady gave me a receipt to take to the cashiers, and I somehow managed to make the 25 hryvnia payment without understanding hardly a word of what I wrote or what the cashier was saying. There are instructions on the wall, and I just copied everything down letter for Cyrillic letter.

Documents are returned on a next-day basis, after 4 in the afternoon. There is only a 45-minute time window on Fridays, and we were back at number 83 in this line. Natasha came with me this day to share in the fun. Why we were 83 is beyond me, because we were one of the first 20 or 30 people there in line. I was on the verge of having a brain anuerism from stress, and Natasha was sure we would have to come back another day. Nonetheless, our turn finally came with only a few minutes to spare.

However, as luck would have it, they couldn’t find my documents. They looked and looked, and just about gave up. A supervisor joined the search as we were holding up the line of fifty of more people also anxiously waiting for their documents. You could feel the desperation in the air. And just when we thought all hope was lost, the stamped and doubly notarized Letter of Non-Impediment to Marriage appeared under a stack of nameless forms.

The next step, according to US Embassy instructions, is to hop along to the 1st Notary Public Office on Mykhailo Kotsubinski St. and get the LONITM as well as my passport translated and notarized. So, in other words, the LONITM must be notarized twice, and authenticated once. The Notary Office has strange hours and looked like another long wait, so Natasha and I decided to take up a private firm’s offer to have this service done for a fee. It turned out to be 90 hryvnia, but they had it done in a day without any hassle.

Our final step, or so we thought, was to go to the central ZAGS, or Wedding Palace, on Prospekt Peremogy. It turned out that we had almost everything we needed; except for my little ‘immigration card’ Ukrainian customs gave to me at the border, and a photocopy of my Ukrainian visa. The cost of the marriage would be about 90 hryvnnia, and we can set the date in a month’s time.

So we’re within inches of signing those final papers, before Natasha and I actually seal the deal. Then the big questions of where we’re going to live, and how we’re going to live as a Ukrainian-American couple in a not quite Unionized, but still European Ukraine. We’ll let you know what happens!

Important Addresses:

April Translations Bureau 35 B. Khemelnitskogo St. Suite 5

Ministry of Foreign Affairs 1 Mykhailivska Ploscha

1st Notary Public Office 12 Mykhailo Kotsubinski St.

Old 4th July 2003, 10:21

Kaizer
Fenicks:

For the police part, I must inform you that you are partionatly wrong. By Uktrainian Law a foreigner should register within 3 workingdays after his arrival at the foreigners police at the local police office of the place where he will spend his holliday (tourist Visa) this normally is ofcourse the city/place where the Fiancee is living the hotel is. So the place where you will mainly stay after this registration you can indeed freely travel inside the country.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

Like Fenicks said I was told too. But when I wanted to register at the police they told me to go to a travel agency and get a stamp from them. I went there not believing them, but at the travel agency they took my passport stamped it and I was off in three minutes. Of course I had to pay 20 grivna but that was worth it. Strange that they say one thing but doing different.

But what was strange to me is that i travelled later to Yalta and while booking tickets back to Kherson, a police officer ask me for my passport. I gave it to him and he ask me why I did not register at Yalta police. I told him I did register in Kherson at the travel agent witch amazed him. He never even heard of this. He was probably so confused because without saying nothing he gave back my passport and walked away. Strange rules they have there.
Old 14th July 2003, 19:15

fenicks
Hi All,

Update....We all where right but from July 2001 EU citizens do not have to register any more at the foreigners police.

REGISTRATION IN UKRAINE

ATTENTION!
From July 1, 2001, the registration of EU citizen in Ukrainian competent authorities (OVIR) is cancelled! You are not required to register your travel document in case of temporary stay in Ukraine.

Additional information
If you are interested in obtaining a tourist visa, please contact the nearest travel agency that have contragents in Ukraine and is able to provide you with the documents confirming tourist goal of your trip.

Source: Ukrainian Embassy in the netherlands at: <http://www.oekraine.com>

Regards,

Nick
Old 14th July 2003, 21:22

OlenaKiev
Hi,
sorry for being lazy and not posting the same information on this thread.
And just wanted to tell: "I said you beofre that no registration"
Olenka