Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Personals > Personals

Notices

Black People in Ukraine

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18th February 2003, 04:09

Nubiangoddess
Question

I was reading the post of the African man seeking a Ukrainian women compainion and couldn't help but notice seeing that black men have a hard time in Ukraine...why is that? Is there some historical reason for that? Did something happen that I am not aware of?
One of my bestfriends are from Ukraine and he is completely open about dating others of other ethnic backgrounds and races.

If black men have a hard time in Ukraine then how are the black women treated in Ukraine? How do the men act towards them? Are they accepted as equals there?

I am taking Russian next year and I plan to use those language skills to help me in Ukraine, if I go there (we dont offer Ukrainian in my school but Russian is the closest we have.) I want to know how I will be treated.

I am very surprised by this especially since the family I know from Ukraine and the students in my school from Ukraine are EXTREMELY open and nice people.

Please help me with this information

Marcia
Old 18th February 2003, 10:03

Kaizer
Don't you use the name Nubianman too. Just like to know.
Old 19th February 2003, 04:28

Nubiangoddess
nope

Um...
No, never seen him. Dont know that guy...
Old 21st February 2003, 18:10

MarcPenn
Nub, Im American but I hear that people of color don't do too well in Ukraine in general. It's a misconception that other countries aren't racist. Take Korea, for example, they think they're the best thing on the planet...but they have a right to their opinion. My Ukrianian frinds say that there are hardly ANY black people in Ukraine, and they are proud of that...I disagree with them though. (The don't mind black people from Africa, it's Black Amercians they don't care for.)
Old 22nd February 2003, 05:55

Nubiangoddess
What????
What is their problem with us?
What have we done to you?
Why do they favor the Africans but not the African Americans?
So if I went there and I tell them where I'm from they're gonna look down on me for that???????

Old 22nd February 2003, 06:16

MarcPenn
Exclamation individualism

Nub, I think that most Ukrainians are open minded but they see black Americans as 'the Jessie Jackson' type. I can not speak for them, because I'm American and from Atlanta (and white). But I have as many black friends as you do and I was suprised to hear that there is such a huge minority of people of African heritage. We learn as we go, Nub, you might be the gateway. Keep learning the language. It's tough, but rewarding, and I speak it "c tpyDom" (with difficulty), but you will impress all Russians (not to mention yourself) if you become proficient.
Good luck, I'll check back to see if you reply
Old 26th February 2003, 02:30

Nubiangoddess
hey marc!

Well, I do kinda want to go and learn the language really well. Um...I dont have many black friends...see I live in suburbs and you know how that goes.
I feel that the majority of the population will be really cool. I was just wanted to see how much like the American people they were. See how I'm treated there in comparison or contrast to here.

Marcia