Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Personals > Personals

Notices

Christmas!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2nd December 2002, 21:13

Divchyna
P.S. Ukrainians are serious about their food, so making remarks to your boyfriend about the food might cause some resentment.
Old 2nd December 2002, 21:22

Capa
Yeah you're right..it does sound better than my inital impressions!
Where are you from Divchyna?

For some English people it is still traditional to go to church in the morning.. For others it is a day for being with family and watching tv, whilst drinking and eating alot! For my family..it is a combination of both!

The christmas meal in the Uk is normally a very big occasion when all the family members gather together.

The main meal is either a roast turkey or roast duck, served with roast potatoes, vegetables and cranberry sauce.
For dessert..we have Christmas pudding..which is rich in fruit and soaked in brandy. It is traditional to light this pudding...and it flames.

After lunch..it is traditional for the family members to gather around the tv..and watch the queens christmas speech! Then everyone opens presents etc.

By the end of the day normally everyone has eaten and drunk too much...and they spend the next day recovering!
Old 2nd December 2002, 21:25

Capa
Ukrainian food

I will bear in mind what you say about Ukrainian food..and what I say to my b'friend/

My boyfriends family are still very Russian and the times I have visited Kiev, I have really only tasted Russian food.
I have to admit ..it is not to my liking...and in my boyfriends defence he hates English food!

We agree to differ on some things :-)
Old 2nd December 2002, 21:35

Divchyna
Hi Capa, originally I am from Vinnytsya, its close to Kyiv. Now I reside in US, Minnesota. I love Christmas, and I get to celebrate twice because I am Orthodox! Your Christmas sounds wonderfull, the food reminds me of Thanksgiving ( I am still recouperating after the turkey attack) The pudding sounds yammy, do you have the recepie? I think your boyfriend would like a present, although its not particularly customery in Ukraine to give presents on that day. We usually celebrate by going to church, getting together with the family and eating a lot, kids watching Christmas shows on tv popping in and out of the room to join the adults in singing. Sounds somewhat similar, except we don't have a queen, LOL.
Old 2nd December 2002, 21:36

Divchyna
So your boyfriend is Russian? What did you eat on your visits to Kyiv?
Old 2nd December 2002, 21:49

Capa

Hi!

My boyfriend and his family are Ukrainian, but still very set in their Russian ways ( because of USSR). His mother and father don't speak Ukrainian at all. They live in Kiev.

I will try and find you a recipe for christmas pudding, but will have to get back to you on that!

The food I experienced in Kiev was interesting! I remember one breakfast..which was warm sugared milk with floating spaghetti. I know how important food is in the Ukraine and how rude it is not to finish your meal, but I really felt ill after eating this.

Is New year more of a celebration than Christmas in the Ukraine?

PS Thanks for your help..its really interesting x
Old 2nd December 2002, 22:03

Divchyna
Well, I wouldn't say "more of a celebration" Its just different. Christmas is more of a family holiday, whereis NY is party your butt off usually with friends. One of my favorite traditions for Chrtismas is Kolyadky and Shedrivky ( people caroling outside of your house in the evening )Its beatifull, you open the door and give them sometthing ( money or candy or a peice of home made sausage or bread ) On NY some people also go dressed as Santas, drunk in the middle of the night screaming Happy New Year! What memories it brings!