Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Personals > Personals

Notices

Hello everyone. Nice to meet you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23rd February 2000, 03:20

olya
John-
Thanks for asking. I live in Chicago and I used to live in Madison, WI, I went to school there. Madison is one of the niciest cities I've ever seen, it's a university town, very clean and safe. In fact, in 1996, when I came to the US, Madison was choosen to be a city #1 in the US.
Now I'm in Chicago, which is fun, too. I work here and also go to the grad school.
I miss sea a lot (Michigan lake doesn't satisfy me :-), because originally I'm from Sevastopol. Have you been to Sevastopol? It's a beatifull city. I wonder if anyone on this board is from there.
John, what do you do? Beata, you? Foggy, tell us about your trip to Ukraine.
Thanks everybody for replying (even if I didn't mention your name above!). Write more about yourself!

Old 23rd February 2000, 05:50

Foggy
Thanks for asking about my travels. Everyone around me is tired of hearing. I was in UA in 94, 95, and 97. I am a pastor who went on short-term missions trips to work with Ukrainian pastors in planting churches. My role was simple: to draw a crowd. We went mostly to remote villages with no Orthodox church, and people would turn out to see the "crazy American".

I spent time (of course!) in Kiev, a beautiful city with many interesting sights to a wide-eyed foreigner. I spend most of my time on the first two trips in the Lutsk - Rivne area, visiting the villages of Romashkivka, Olyka, Berestiany, Oderadi, Tsuman, Putilivka, and Vashliky. I lived with a UA family in Romashkivka. Most of the time there were 10 to 11 of us in a two-bedroom house, but I loved it! The family closeness and the hospitality of the people I lived with and visited changed my way of looking at my world.

The third time, I went east by train (21 hours each way) to Lugansk, then by car on to Krasnodon. There I stayed in a hotel on the main square, sharing a room with a UA evangelist who spoke no English (as I spoke no Ukrainian!) Visible out our window was a statue of Lenin. Every day, at mealtime, the young men we were assisting would come across town by bus, and we would go to their flat for meals. Crossing town involved walking about 1 km to the bus, riding for 30 minutes, then walking about 3 km to their flat. We traveled mostly (while in the city) by walking, because many of the bus lines were not running. We were successful in organizing churches in Krasnodon and the neighboring village of Molodogvardeisk.

I would not say my trips were "fun," because that word would trivialize what were, for me, life-changing experiences. I have always been fascinated by the Soviet culture and people, and this gave me a chance to experience the post-soviet world. I would say my trips were worthwhile, and that I made friends that will last for life.

And, many things that had only been news stories became real for me. I met out of work coal miners, saw factories burned by rival "bizinesmen," stayed out of the way of young thugs in knee length leather coats driving Mercedes autos with darkened windows, and visited in the homes of people who with pride set their very best before me. It was an humbling experience for a "proud american."

BTW, both of my primary contacts there have emigrated: the family with whom I lived is in Seattle, WN, area, and the lady who was my interpreter most of the time is in Toronto, Can.

As for whether or not I will return, only God knows. I would love to return, and have others with whom I could work there, but now I have not the financial means. Before, my church sent me; now I would have to pay my own way...

Again, if you have read this far, thanks for your interest. I will not write with such length again, unless there are specific questions to answer. Those I will, of course, respond to.

FOG
Old 23rd February 2000, 05:56

olya
Very interesting, Fog. Thank you for sharing.
One question, though. Did you have any bad experience or feeling while staying in Ukraine?
Old 23rd February 2000, 06:35

StasUA
Send a message via ICQ to StasUA
Yeah Olya, I've been to Sevastopol cool I saw there military parade.
Old 23rd February 2000, 07:55

Zhenya is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello, Olya.
My name is Zhenya. I came to US 18 month ago and stay in Seattle now. Visit my vodka topic on the open board. It's fun.
Old 23rd February 2000, 08:56

Foggy
Olya: No, I had no bad experiences, because I was so well cared for by my hosts. There were a few tense moments when we were stopped on the roads by the Militiamen. Their documents were checked, but we were never detained.

Toward me, everyone was very nice.

FOG
Old 24th February 2000, 12:09

andrewblow
Hi, Foggy,
I think you and me might be on the same wavelength. Please check out 'History / pagans' and if you're interested, let me know