Hi

Elena,

I guess you could use a new name like....Instead of mail-order bride...lol

(1) Marriage from afar

(2) Grooms from afar

(3) Brides from Russia etc..

(4) International matchmakers

(5) Long distance relationships

It seems to me in such bad taste to call a woman a "mail-order-bride". It seems as if she is dumb and can be ordered like a newspaper or something. These women in many cases are wonderful,strong and great people to be with and it seems that tag of mail-order stereotypes them wrongly.

You are right though it's hard to think of a name that would get as much recognition as that one though.

Yours,

CameoJoe
Old 16th March 2002, 17:14

Elena_Garrett
Hi, Joe

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your name suggestions. I think from what you have suggested, "Brides From Russia" or maybe even "Russian Brides" would sound the closest to what I am trying to describe. International matchmakers are definitly going to be a part of my work and I am collecting an info about bad agencies, and have quite a few names already, but they are not the main subject...

I absolitely agree, that the expression "mail order bride" does not sound too respective, and DOES leave you with impression that it is something you could by in supermarket or order like a book from the internet retailer...

For some reason so many people use it (the name), that I got so accustom to hear about Russian/CIS girls writing through a marriage agency as "mail order brides", that I started to use it as well.

I myself was writing for my future husband Michael for more than a year, and I know at least a few other girls here (in US) and in Russia, who got happily married or are going to marry - I know that the vast majotity of girls writing to western guys ARE really nice and honest people.

As a matter of fact, when I first got on the Elena Petrova's site "Russian brides cyber guide" and started to look through pages and pages and pages of photos of known scammers, and read the story of guys, who got ripped off by them, I was completely shocked, amized and angry. I am serious - I was disgusted.

So, through I do believe that on one scammer there is a least a thousand or two of honest girls out there, but you can't ignore the problem with those few - they trush people's feelings and good intentions, and they make the whole ideal look bad. I myself do not have a marriage agency, and I am not going to have one, but I see the problem I think I can help people to avoid being trushed.

And you are right - sometimes, all, what is needed is to come to visit your Russian friend in person, and and see for yourself is she who she says she is, or not, but sometimes people cannot just take off and go to Russia any time they want to meet a girl. My friend Chad and his friend Lena have been waiting to meet each other for at least 10 month already, because Chad cannot take vacation from where he works and the earliest will be this summer.

Also, sometimes the scammer is not there for the money, but for the greencard, and everything will be fine when you two meet and even when she arrives here... And after the documents are all in order, she will just announce you that she does not love you any more and you will be lucky, if she will not cause you any legal problems like claiming that you are abussive or something like this.

Well, it is a long subject - let me contact you in person so that we do not take toooooo much of space on this forum. Unless, of course, you prefer to stay here.

And I will definetly write you about your offer of help in Saratov - the letter should be in your mailbox shortly.

Best regards,
Elena Garrett
Old 17th March 2002, 15:21

ricknorth
Re: Hi

Quote:
Originally posted by CameoJoe
Elena,

I guess you could use a new name like....Instead of mail-order bride...lol

(1) Marriage from afar

(2) Grooms from afar

(3) Brides from Russia etc..

(4) International matchmakers

(5) Long distance relationships

It seems to me in such bad taste to call a woman a "mail-order-bride". It seems as if she is dumb and can be ordered like a newspaper or something. These women in many cases are wonderful,strong and great people to be with and it seems that tag of mail-order stereotypes them wrongly.

You are right though it's hard to think of a name that would get as much recognition as that one though.

Yours,

CameoJoe
(6) Yankee Lugankskee Hanky Pankskee

(7) Francis Gary Powers meets the White Rose of Stalingrad

(8) Global Big Bang Theory

(9) "We will have CRUSH on You!!!!"

(10) Snezhana This!!!
Old 17th March 2002, 18:52

Rik
Cool

Hi . . . and back to the theme of the thread

Does anyone know anything about Agency "Bagira".

I've just joined here and was getting into e:mail correspondance with Margarita only to be met with a request for 'help with the translation services'

Is this normal ? ?

Rik from England

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I quote their Prices Menu :-

"We send you an information which includes
our services and prices:

TRANSLATION SERVICES
* correspondence translation- 5$ per letter
* 1 month translation unlimited quality of letters - 120$
* 2 months translation unlimited quality of letters - 200$
* translation of phone conversation - 5$ per 10 min
* scan pictures - 2$

ENGLISH LANGUAGE COURSES
* basic course: 1 month - 3 days a week, 1.5 hours per day - 250$
* basic course: 2 months - 3 days a week, 1.5 hours per day - 470$

HOME DELIVERY SERVICES
* a bunch of flowers - 24$
* greeting cards - 2$
* chocolate (any kind, up to 15 items)

Old 17th March 2002, 19:02

Elena_Garrett
Let me refer you to the following article:

Rick,

Let me refer you to the following article on Elena Petrova's site:

http://www.womenrussia.com/agencies.htm

There you will be able to find an answer for all your questions.

Not matter what the agency says, do not agree to send them money. If you would like to find the girl's real address and to try to write to her without agency's "help", I may be able to help you.

There lot's of translation services out there who charge you $0.3-0.03 per word of translation, and the money they are asking are ridiculous.

Best regards,
Elena
Old 17th March 2002, 20:20

Elena_Garrett
The last sentance should have read, "And the money THE AGENCY is asking is rediculous."

Sorry about that.

Regards,
Elena
Old 17th March 2002, 20:58

Rik
Hi

I think the issue is simple - I and no one else would mind paying for 'translation' services etc if the girl at the other end is genuine and does need help to further her future happiness / goals

No-one likes being treated like a plonker though - so how can we simple men be sure that the person at the other end is genuine and not a made-up person based on agency photos etc

Rik