Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Personals > Personals

Notices

Help? US Mail to Izmail

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 3rd October 1999, 21:28

Branch276
If I wanted to send a letter to a friend in Izmail, How should I do it? IS it reliable? She does not have a phone, but she did give me her address. Any help is appreciated.

thanks,
lance
Old 4th October 1999, 00:41

superstar
It is reliable but it might take 1-2 month for her to receive it. Also don;t put any money in it as I heard cases when mafia used to open all mail from overseas knowing that it might be some money inside. i have a similar case. My frined lives in Odessa and I sent him a letter from Australia (that's where I live) on 6 of August 1999 and haven't heard from him yet. Sometimes if the person doesn't live at that address the letter returns back to you but i haven't seen it yet, so I can only assume he received it- so that
s Ukrainian post office for you.If you have any more questions you can reply to me
Old 4th October 1999, 19:18

Branch276
Thanks for your help superstar. What about using Federal Express or United Parcel Service. Would this be more reliable and do you think that they deliver there? I dont know if you know of these two companies but i have used them to send packages to Australia. They are tow worldwide US based shippers.
thanks
lance
Old 4th October 1999, 19:53

marina_555
Send a message via ICQ to marina_555
surely you can use these parcel services or couriers, but to get the letter from them your friend will have to go to the capital of her republic or the regional city, because they don't deliver to the small towns like Izmail.
regards,
Marina
Old 6th October 1999, 01:38

superstar
The good idea, I think is to use a credit union services. The one that we use to send money from australia to Ukraine also deliveres letters and parcels under 25kg. We pay $5 extra for insurance and people on the other side get their money or letter within 15 minutes as they have their office or their authorised representatives in Ukraine. The receiver signs the document that the parcel has been successfully delivered which then the company sends it back to us for verification. This company we are using is called Westline Credit Union. They say they have offices world-wide, so check if they have one in USA.
regards,
Alex