Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Personals > Personals

Notices

Urgent. - Lysychansk

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 3rd June 2014, 20:04

DanielMacca is on a distinguished road
Urgent. - Lysychansk

Hello everyone. I have a friend that is caught up in Lysychansk. I am very worried about her. Is anybody from the forum know the area, to give me the latest news. I am very concerned and worried. Genuine. Thank you for your help in advance.
Daniel

Last edited by stepanstas; 4th June 2014 at 02:30. Reason: added to title
Old 4th June 2014, 03:29

Hannia will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I have a friend that is caught up in Lysychansk.
===================================================
===================================================
Following is the latest news I could find:

Police help Kremlin-backed insurgents in Luhansk Oblast's Lysychansk
May 24, 2014, 8:39 p.m. | Photo — by Anastasia Vlasova, Oksana Grytsenko
YSYCHANSK, Ukraine -- Days after fierce fighting took place on the outskirts of Lysychansk on May 22 between Russian-backed insurgents and Ukrainian army, residents of this Luhansk Oblast city still live in shock and fear. Many cafes and shops remain closed, people try to stay inside their homes and taxi drivers refuse to travel from Lysychansk to several districts in northern Luhansk Oblast, which is controlled by the Ukrainian authorities.

While Vladislav Seleznev, a spokesman for Ukraine's anti-terrorist operation against the insurgents, said that two Ukrainian soldiers were killed and seven wounded during the fight on May 22, the insurgents claim that dozens of Ukrainian soldiers were killed, while estimating their losses at seven dead.

Now all the ways in and out of city are blocked by checkpoints, controlled by men armed with Kalashnikovs, launchers, pistols, knives and other weapon, who call themselves members of Army of Southeast. They used to be regular people working mostly at the local mines or plants. But the bitter conflict orchestrated by the Kremlin, and fueled by Russian propaganda, has transformed them into fighters full of hate. The local police officers stand at checkpoints along with insurgents saying “the police are with the people.”

The insurgents are carefully checking cars in order to prevent the arrival of Ukrainian nationalists, whom they mostly call either Right Sector of National Guard. But they treat local residents and foreign journalists well.

Igor, 39, a plant engineer, refused to give his last name out of fear for his personal safety, said he spent two weeks training at building of Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) in Luhansk, seized by separatists in early April. This SBU building became a place for military trainings and a source of weapons for the entire Luhansk Oblast.

But many of the insurgents get the basic military training right at the road checkpoints.

Last week separatists announced creation of Luhansk People’s Republic based on results of referendum on May 11 that wasn’t recognized by authorities in Kyiv or most of the world. So Igor is sure that there can’t be any elections on the territory of their new independent state. He doesn’t see Lysychank in Ukraine.

“We will be either in one state with Donetsk People’s Republic or join Russia,” Igor said, holding Kalashnikov in his hands. “If things get really bad here than I think Russia will send its troops.”

But Viacheslav, 31, a who rarely shows up on the checkpoints but coordinates their work, said he supports a united Ukraine but doesn’t support the current government in Kyiv. Viacheslav was an electrician but he knows how to use gun after service in border troops.

“The only solution here is deployment of peacekeeping troops,” he said.

Editor’s Note: This article has been produced with support from the project MyMedia, financially supported by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark, and implemented by a joint venture between NIRAS and BBC Media Action.
============================================
============================================
Latest on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/hashtag/Lysychansk

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp
Old 4th June 2014, 07:09

Thank you.

That news is sad, but I appreciate you giving me it. Thank you once again.
Old 4th June 2014, 07:58

Lysychansk

Does anyone know if the cellphone signals are working?