Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Personals > Personals

Notices

traveling to Kharkov, meeting several women, any advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11th May 2014, 19:45

Daniel Anderson is on a distinguished road
Please be careful and keep as low of a profile as you can while there. Before my first trip to Ukraine, I talked to a lot of women, and planned to date many. I didn't want to go all that way to find out there was no chemistry, or that the girl wouldn't show up at all as happens to some.

I didn't like dating multiple people. The first girl I dated did not know about the others, When she found out, she teased me relentlessly about it.

The second girl knew I was dating others.

I ended up stopping at two, because I liked both of them.

I find Ukrainian women to be jealous....but then again, I am also engaged to girl #2
Old 12th May 2014, 02:03

USA2Kharkiv is on a distinguished road
Thanks for posting about your experience, Daniel. I, like you, have always been uncomfortable trying to get to know, or to be interested in more than one woman at a time, it feels unnatural.

I decided to be honest with all the women, despite a Ukraine-based marriage agency's advice not to tell. The first woman seemed a little upset, but she got over it quickly, still wants to meet, and does not bring up the other women at all. We are corresponding as normal, and have shared postal addresses, email addresses and full names. If I had to guess at this point, I would say that she is the one I am most comfortable with and perhaps not coincidentally, closest to my age.

The remaining women know they are not the only ones, yet they also want to meet. Things could change as we get to know each other over the next 3 months. Some I seem more compatible with than others, and I am in various stages of sharing information with each of them. So far, things are going very well. My plan is to narrow it down to just two or three ladies to meet, and from those, one lady to pursue a dating relationship with. Ultimately, I think dating will span multiple trips to Ukraine, and for her to possibly come to the US as well. It will have to be right between us, or I will come home empty-handed, and I am fully prepared for that. I don't know when or if a proposal will occur, I try not to think about it - if it happens, I hope it will come naturally, and not feel forced.

Thanks for the concern about safety - I have insurance on my trip if something happens and I decide not to go. I still want to go, even with the troubles, but I am hoping that the unrest will be diminished in three months. I do not plan on going out of the hotel much unaccompanied by one or more Ukrainians, and hopefully I won't look like I have a target on my back! I have found a reliable English-speaking travel agency that offers many services for visiting foreigners at reasonable prices, like interpreters, transportation, side trips and dinner reservations and such. They are telling me that many foreigners are still visiting Kharkov safely. But, we shall see how it is in August.

Thanks again for your reply!
Old 13th May 2014, 16:54

Hannia will become famous soon enough
Crisis in Ukraine 03.13.14
Is Kharkiv Ukraine’s Next Tipping Point?
Ukraine’s second-largest city, and its first Soviet capital, is a world away from the pro-European revolutionary fervor of Kiev. Most natives speak Russian as their first language, and are more in thrall to Russian culture than Ukrainian. Pushkin, not Shevchenko, is their poet of choice. With the Russian border just 30 miles away, the big neighbor casts a long shadow over this industrial city. Lenin still towers over the main square, whose streets are dotted with posters advertising upcoming gigs by Russian pop stars and theaters. Kharkiv was the first city in Ukraine to embrace Communism, and was the first capital of Soviet Ukraine between the wars. The city is also famous for the Malyshev Tractor Factory, which built many of the Soviet Union’s iconic tanks, including the Cold War’s T-80 series. The residents’ memories of the Soviet Union are also a lot rosier than those from Western Ukraine, who were forcibly annexed after the Second World War.

When some pro-European activists tried to take down the statue of Lenin, the city’s taxi drivers scuttled their efforts by surrounding the monument in defense. The Lenin statue has now become the focal point of protests for Russia, and against the ‘fascists’ in Kiev.

Ukraine’s future as a unified state depends on bellwether cities like Kharkiv, where residents are split between pro-European and pro-Russian camps.
Is Kharkiv Ukraine’s Next Tipping Point? - The Daily Beast
=======================================================================
Kharkiv an island of calm in Ukraine's turbulent east
Ukraine’s second city appears stable despite shooting of powerful mayor

Kharkiv latest news May 8, 2014 The Irish Times
As violence and instability intensified to the south, many predicted trouble for Kharkiv and its surrounding region, which borders Russia.

But those fears have proved unfounded.

“Officials in Kharkiv have worked better on security issues than in Donetsk and Luhansk, arresting some organisers of the unrest and stopping financing coming from Russia,” said pro-government activist Dmytro Pilipets.

“I don’t feel any great tension here now. I don’t think aggressive moves would work.”
Kharkiv an island of calm in Ukraine's turbulent east - European News | Latest News from Across Europe | The Irish Times - Thu, May 08, 2014

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp
Old 13th May 2014, 20:54

Thanks for the update, Hannia! Those I am talking with in Kharkiv say there is cause for concern, but the unrest has not made any difference in daily lives there. Kharkiv still seems to be entertaining foreign guests at about the same rate as always, according to a travel agent I spoke with there.
Old 13th May 2014, 21:06

I have never met a travel agent that told me the whole truth. Have you?

No matter how the news is cut, these are turbulent times in Ukraine and it will not be over soon.

æ, !

Old 14th May 2014, 06:47

Yes, I thought about that; travel agents of course would want me to come and spend money with them no matter what was going on. I'll continue watching with anticipation, I'm glad I bought trip insurance. If I don't go to Ukraine, I can always got to Colorado to visit relatives!
Old 14th May 2014, 14:05

There are Ukrainians in Colorado. Look for Ukrainian social events, especially in places like Denver. Get a little pre-exposure to Ukrainian people and culture and stay safe at the same time. When things settle down in Ukraine, then make the trip. What's the adage? When given lemons, make lemonade.

æ, !