Ukraine.com Discussion Forum

Ukraine.com Discussion Forum (http://www.Ukraine.com/forums/)
-   Personals (http://www.Ukraine.com/forums/personals/)
-   -   Ukrainian girl who doesn't speak Russian? (http://www.Ukraine.com/forums/personals/15383-ukrainian-girl-who-doesnt-speak-russian.html)

DriveMeFar 26th December 2013 20:37

Ukrainian girl who doesn't speak Russian?

I recently returned from my first trip to Ukraine. I went there looking to meet women with a possibility of marriage in the future. I had a connection with one of the girls I met in Nikolaev. This is one of the regions where most business and social contact is done in Russian. Anyway, she wanted a translator because she spoke no English. My Russian is decent, but it's not like I'm fluent enough to speak about anything and everything. When I met the girl, I greeted her in Russian (Здравствуй, мне очень приятно познакомиться с тобой). I got no reaction from her. My pronunciation is good, so no one would have a problem understanding me. A few other times throughout the evening, I used Russian because I enjoy speaking it. Again, she waited for the translation into Ukrainian. Is it even possible for a young woman who grows up in this region to speak little or no Russian? Could she have other reasons for feigning ignorance?

stepanstas 26th December 2013 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by DriveMeFar (Post 116090)
I recently returned from my first trip to Ukraine. I went there looking to meet women with a possibility of marriage in the future. I had a connection with one of the girls I met in Nikolaev. This is one of the regions where most business and social contact is done in Russian. Anyway, she wanted a translator because she spoke no English. My Russian is decent, but it's not like I'm fluent enough to speak about anything and everything. When I met the girl, I greeted her in Russian (Здравствуй, мне очень приятно познакомиться с тобой). I got no reaction from her. My pronunciation is good, so no one would have a problem understanding me. A few other times throughout the evening, I used Russian because I enjoy speaking it. Again, she waited for the translation into Ukrainian. Is it even possible for a young woman who grows up in this region to speak little or no Russian? Could she have other reasons for feigning ignorance?

Yes, its possible. Frankly, its ignorant on your part to make such assumptions.

It's also possible that she just didn't want to. For us, it would be speculation.

It's also possible that she wanted to rip you off. In which case, she probably succeeded. No offense, but your story sounds like many others.

Gotno Gizmo 27th December 2013 08:52

DriveMeFar
I would not have embarked on a journey to Ukraine until I had established contact with a lady that I was able to communicate without an interpreter. When you involve interpreters you involve money, and money distorts the purpose of the meeting because financial rather than social benefits are involved.

1. I was able to write to my lady through internet email as a first step.
2. Secondly I arranged a meeting on Skype to ensure that we were mutually attracted to one another.
3. That she was able to speak enough English unaided for a relationship to be able to commence between us.
4. I asked for her mobile phone number so I could send her an SMS during the day.
5. Once confirming she had a house fixed line telephone, I called her on that telephone also.
6. I said I wanted to send her a romantic greeting by post and asked for her address (in latin and cyrillic characters).
7. When the posted letter had arrived,I asked her to show me the envelope of the greeting card during a Skype conversation.

Only now was I prepared to commit myself to the journey to Ukraine, fairly confident that my new relationship had genuine substance and that there was a very strong possibility that she would be impatiently awaiting my arrival.

I met my lady via the TAU2.com website that I would definitely recommend. You can register and compose your own profile with photos for free. You are cross checked by an SMS to your mobile and given a code number to input for verification.

You can then browse an impressive selection of ladies and can write brief SMS length introductory messages for free. If a lady is of particular interest, one has to buy credits to pay for longer messages and more credits to actually exchange email addresses, telephone numbers etc. Or you can continue writing to one lady, as I did, to learn enough about one another until the credit spend (around $25 USD) of messages gets you the personal info anyway.

There are many other dating websites that have a high scam rate and you must be on your guard. Warning signs are women with hard luck stories asking for money. Asking for train or other expenses to meet you in Kiev. You pay the money and of course the lady usually is not there to meet you. The address she gave you doesn't exist and her mobile number is nor registered to anyone!

ukieoz 27th December 2013 09:42

Well Russian language is not aficial in all Ukrainian tertitory just parts of Ukraine choose to speak Russian. It is ignorant to assume all Ukrainian speak Russian

DriveMeFar 29th December 2013 01:54

Thanks for the info, Gizmo. Before going the next time, I'll make sure I'm better prepared.

Also, to the other two respondents, you make it sound like I picked the "all Ukrainian women knowing how to speak Russian" thing out of the sky and made it my assumption. I formed this opinion simply by talking to other Ukrainian women. My opinion on just about anything Ukrainian was formed in this way. If the language used to conduct most business in the South and the East of the country (getting that from Ukrainians and not my own opinion) is Russian, it just seems really odd that a woman from that region wouldn't speak it. That was my only point. As far as her just not wanting to speak it, do you have any idea why? I mean, when I do something odd, I usually have some kind of reasoning behind it.

Sure, I was probably taken, and that's okay with me. It was a fun experience, and it's not like this month I'm not going to be able to pay my mortgage because of it. :)

stepanstas 29th December 2013 03:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by DriveMeFar (Post 116140)
Also, to the other two respondents, you make it sound like I picked the "all Ukrainian women knowing how to speak Russian" thing out of the sky and made it my assumption. I formed this opinion simply by talking to other Ukrainian women. My opinion on just about anything Ukrainian was formed in this way. If the language used to conduct most business in the South and the East of the country (getting that from Ukrainians and not my own opinion) is Russian, it just seems really odd that a woman from that region wouldn't speak it. That was my only point. As far as her just not wanting to speak it, do you have any idea why? I mean, when I do something odd, I usually have some kind of reasoning behind it.

Again, just making assumptions here, none of us truly know.

The language you speak largely depends on how you were raised, where you went to school, what you do for a living, etc. Yes, most Ukrainians understand basic Russian. We of course don't know her profession, if any (don't know her age).

My personal opinion is that she didn't want to. You ask why? Personally, I would find it offensive. Obviously your intentions are well but many Ukrainians get annoyed when you make such assumptions. Maybe she didn't want your relationship to be like that. If she can draw the line in the sand that it's a Ukrainian only relationship, she can probably retain her heritage/cultural preferences. If you assume she can speak Russian, by doing so with you, it would establish that she's okay with it and you wouldn't find it necessary to learn Ukrainian.

This would be extremely difficult for you to determine as you don't know either language, but did she struggle at all with Ukrainian? If she had any struggle with Ukrainian she could have been putting on a show. If she was fluent in Ukrainian she very well could have been raised all-Ukrainian and never found it necessary to learn Russian.

I for one don't care much for Russian or Polish. When people attempt it with me I can capture maybe 75% of what they say in basic conversation. If it gets any more technical, its a foreign language. For me its either Ukrainian or English, no in between. Partly because I wont understand, and party because the other person should make equal effort instead of just speaking in their native tongue.