Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Travel & Tourism > Moving

Notices

Cost of living in Ukraine

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18th October 2003, 20:21

Hallam
I know this topic is not new, but can someone give me a good idea of the cost of living in the Ukraine. I used an international COL calculator and it calcualted it would take more money to live in Kiev than in Columbus, Ohio at the same standard of living. Could this be true.
When I was in Ukraine this summer I traveled to a village 2 hours to the south of Kiev. Six of us ate out for under $10 total. The church group I was with was purchasing a duplex house for $9,000. I know things are much higher in Kiev.
Could anyone give a good monthly expese estimate for Kiev and for living in a small village. Thanks.
Old 22nd October 2003, 16:33

aussie
cost of living in Ukraine

It depends on how you live but I think $400 per month is the minimum for Kiev.The cheapest 1 room flat you can presently rent is $130 per month which is 20mins by metro from the centre.I think $270 for the other expenses like food,entertainment would be enough but by no means could you live it up!! You can purchase a little house in Kiev about 15km out of the centre for $10,000 and spend another $5000 on it to make it warm and livable.I recently went to berlin in Germany and noticed that in certain suburbs in Berlin the price of apartments was the same as in the centre of Kiev!! I think that tells you Kiev apartments are overpriced!
As for the villages my girlfriends mother has a beautifully renovated 3 room apartment in Krivoy Rog about 400 km from Kiev and the most she could rent it for would be $40 per month and it would cost $5000 to buy(she told me this herself)The same apartment anywhere in Kiev would cost $400 minimum in rent or $35,000 to buy.$100 in a smaller village would be enough to live on but again not lavishly.It all depends on your living standards.Anyway I wish I have helped you.
Old 20th June 2008, 19:47

bubyshka is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Hi i wonder if you could tell me would there be much difference between keiv and lviv?\
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie View Post
It depends on how you live but I think $400 per month is the minimum for Kiev.The cheapest 1 room flat you can presently rent is $130 per month which is 20mins by metro from the centre.I think $270 for the other expenses like food,entertainment would be enough but by no means could you live it up!! You can purchase a little house in Kiev about 15km out of the centre for $10,000 and spend another $5000 on it to make it warm and livable.I recently went to berlin in Germany and noticed that in certain suburbs in Berlin the price of apartments was the same as in the centre of Kiev!! I think that tells you Kiev apartments are overpriced!
As for the villages my girlfriends mother has a beautifully renovated 3 room apartment in Krivoy Rog about 400 km from Kiev and the most she could rent it for would be $40 per month and it would cost $5000 to buy(she told me this herself)The same apartment anywhere in Kiev would cost $400 minimum in rent or $35,000 to buy.$100 in a smaller village would be enough to live on but again not lavishly.It all depends on your living standards.Anyway I wish I have helped you.
Old 21st June 2008, 15:14

bm-21Lemko is on a distinguished road
you would probably make less in Lviv than Kyiv. I think a couple hundred dollars or more difference
Old 15th August 2008, 22:57

peter3030 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to peter3030 Send a message via Skype™ to peter3030
I have noticed that there has been a swing in preference to Euros as payment in preference to dollars-specifically for apartment rentals.In March 2008 I had a quote for an apartment of $50 in Kiev. The same apartment is now listed at 60 euros.This is not a seasonal increase-the prices were listed for the year.
Additionally I wanted to pay in advance for taxis-which they were happy to do by credit card before travel.
Now they insist on payment at the point of travel because they cannot guarantee prices going up-so wont take pre payment.
Old 24th August 2009, 10:47

dazy is on a distinguished road
Hello...........

Living costs will obviously depend on your circumstance and individual tastes but it's important to have an idea of how far your money will stretch, whether you're paying a flying visit or staying for a longer period. Ways to cut costs - a few helpful tips. Whether you're a tourist, working traveller or student, there are extra steps you can take to reduce expenses. Here are a few:

* stay at shared accommodation - rent a room in a house, flat or hostel
* make good use of public transport, which is both efficient and country-wide
* book in advance for events you wish to attend
* look out for bargains and special promotional offers on goods and services
* if you can, buy groceries and cook your own food instead of eating out every day.

Thanks.
Have a nice time a head.

Last edited by Kathy; 24th August 2009 at 17:18.
Old 29th January 2010, 13:31

chris750 is on a distinguished road
hi i am looking at spending a few months maybe 6 - 12 living in the ukraine in the south around kherson and mickoliyeva, later in the year. i spent a few weeks in odessa in 2005 as a tourist. can anybody give me a picture of monthly costs. i.e. renting appartment,electric,water and genral living costs in the current year.
thank you ion advance
chris